Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-09-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
XRchic
Hello

Default Products to remove a very strong odour from a rear fabric car seat - industrial stren

Hi all

Im looking for advice on how to get rid of a really stubborn urine smell from the back seat of a car. A friend of mine had a rather elderly passenger in the back seat a few weeks back, and there was an accident. The back seat was rather soaked. It is just regular kind of fabric. Since then, she has soaked with Febreeze and other chemicals in the hope of getting rid of the strong smell. This has helped, but the smell is still there. She really soaked the seat in Febreeze, and it took 2 days to dry, but still wasn’t completely effective.

Now, Im sure there are people out there who have had toilet training kids have an accident on the back seat, or even a pet accident. Im sure there are taxis and such things out there which are always subject to these kinds of accidents too, and worse! So they must use something to get rid of the smell. Im guessing they use something a little more industrial strength than a supermarket product.

Does anyone have any idea about any much stronger products, where to get them from and even places which may be able to clean the seat properly for my friend, such as full on detailing or car cleaning places. Would steam cleaning the seats helps? I think she is happy to pay a reasonable amount to have the smell gone as it is rather overpowering.

Thanks

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Yeah I would try steam cleaning. Febreeze is pretty much useless.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any profesional steam cleaner around your area should be able to help if he knows what he is doing. Nothing will realy help even steam cleaning won't do much if its bad. You will need to use enzymes ( however its spelt ) Thats the only way to realy get rid of the odour for good. Any carpet/ upholstery cleaner should know what to use anyway.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
fordOwner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

would have loved to of seen your face when the accident happend - talk about kodak moment.

Click here to see my ute
fordOwner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordOwner
would have loved to of seen your face when the accident happend - talk about kodak moment.
Yeah real funny that would be :

Send a PM to Grum, he sells high quality car care products and will be able to point you in the right direction.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree about contacting Grum.

I would suggest that you need to remove it by using steam clean or suction of some kind.

Removal of the seat & getting the 'rug doctor' might be a cheaper alternative.
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #7
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

De-skin the seat, throw the skin in the tub to soak and then soap scrub the foam insert and thoroughly rinse the foam with a garden hose.
Old 18-09-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't know if this will help, but when i bought a cheap old car the interior was absolutely filthy. i pulled the seats out and sprayed cheap degreaser on them (2 cans for each front seat) then hit them with the gerni (high pressure hose) then just left them outside for a few days to dry.

they clean up beautifully, no dirt/sand or stains left.

but i don't know if this would help with smells
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I can remember in my old EA. Mum spilt milk in the back seat when she used the car. tried everything to get the smell out. I ended up removing the rear bench (they should just unclip) Spraying it with various smell-be-gones and left it out in the sun for a few days. Somewhere where there is a good breeze and it gets sun most the day.

Smell was gone within a few days...And believe me. Off milk smell is gross.

Also something to consider, perhaps if it soaked right through, It may have gone into the carpet also.

Hope this helps.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #10
pottsy44

reminds me of the time i spilt half a bottom of jim beam on my back seat in the old AU.. now dont get me wrong i love jim beam, but the smell of it in the seat is absolutely terible!
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
De-skin the seat, throw the skin in the tub to soak and then soap scrub the foam insert and thoroughly rinse the foam with a garden hose.
Pretty much what you need to do, if there is still a bit of smell in the car it means the stain hasn't been removed.

A good steam clean and/or wet vac with a good interior shampoo should remove most of it.

Odds are it will be on the carpet and seat belts as well..

The other product to try would be Autoglym Odour eliminator: http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/pr...our_eliminator

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #12
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

It's not the seat covering that's the problem it'll be the seat foam underneath. You got to get the bench out and strip the cover off and give the foam a bath.......... and maybe the carpet and seatbelt as well if the urine went right through the foam. Oh, and check the base of the seat back as well cos that could have soaked up urine where it meets the base. If that's the case, it's the same proceedure, remove seat back, strip the cover and bath the foam and cover then leave the whole lot out in the sun for a few days to dry.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best thing I have seen for getting rid of odours was brought from a local market used in a car that smelt like park people lived in it and no thing seemed to get rid of the smell . It was brought from a bloke selling soap it was gumnuts with some sort of seed wheat husks maybe in a bowl a natural air freshner for a room it had lavender and teatree oil in it and was left in the car for 2 days and then the smell is gone I brought one for work as the carpet in my room was rotten got rid off the smell
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

If all else fails you can take it into a dealership and they should be able to do a bacteria service which involves putting a machine inside the car for around 20 minutes. Kills all smells.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 11:09 PM   #15
XRchic
Hello

Thanks guys, some heaps good suggestions there!

Old 19-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Seat needs to come out to fix the issue.. Remove fabric trim and wash the foam / let dry.

You wont get rid of it otherwise.

Cheers.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:07 AM   #17
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Wash with soap then soak in Bicarb of Soda...
Towel dry, spray with fabric softener then wipe over again with clean moist towel in direction of fibre...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 12:27 AM   #18
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Reminds me of a "Seinfield" episode with the bad BO in the car. I have spilt a latte in my car this week and I can tell you the smell of off milk is starting to show it's ugly head. I am having the car detailed next week. If they don't rid of the smell god help em! Let me know how ya go! Will be interested to see what you use!
Old 20-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #19
XRchic
Hello

I agree, it does look like the seats have to come out. She wont be happy... ah well.

And yeah, I will let you know how it all goes, I will email her on Monday!

Thanks

Old 20-09-2008, 12:23 PM   #20
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had squid stink in my back seats last summer. I tried heaps of things but it ended up being the shiners shampoo vacuum that got rid of it. I used the shampoo twice then left the windows down for a couple of days.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #21
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

I am a dry cleaner and have a few things in my head that will no doubt help...

If it is just the base it is straight forward enough to pull it out, and as everyone else has said, let it dry out in the fresh air and the sun. Just watch out your fabric does not fade in the direct sunlight. Also not sure if you need all the seats often?

The best cleaner to use, is quite simply, eucalyptus oil. Can get it at most supermarkets.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2008, 08:33 PM   #22
Wardo

There is a product called Urine Off that I have used for the dog when she had accidents it worked pretty well, apparently they also use it in old peoples homes.

I now use a product called Pet Goe for the accidents, it does just as good a job but is quite a bit cheaper.
Old 20-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #23
gemibabe

no vac from the supermarket. its strong smelly stuff..
Old 20-09-2008, 09:44 PM   #24
outback_chick
*CHIXUTE*

Get a new one from the wreckers
outback_chick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post