Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-07-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
zane
Starter Motor

Default Leaking 06 Rear Hatch....

Hi all, Recently picked up an 06 LS Hatch, great vehicle, however I noticed that I get a water leak on the passenger side in the boot.

I am guessing it is getting in around the tail lights? Anyone got any idea's? I gather its a common problem, was hoping for a pointer in the right direction so I can fix it myself....not keen on having ford was a day....

Cheers

Zane

zane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 06:51 PM   #2
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

is it a focus or fiesta !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That would be a LS Focus

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
zane
Starter Motor

opps - sorry it a 06 Focus. I figured it may need a squirt of silocine somewhere....
Old 28-07-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
scooby

Yes it's very common. I've seen it on 5 out of 5 Foci's that I checked.
I was told by a Ford mechanic that it's a design fault and (quote) ' Ford really should do something about that'.
It doesn't leak a lot, but it is unacceptable in a new car and will probably cause water damage over a period of time.
My LS went to the panel beaters 5 times and still wasn't fixed. I just gave up.
It started to stink after abot 8 months of ownership.
My new LT Zetec also leaks a little in the same place, I couldn't be ****** doing anything about it.
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
BlackLS
yum

I've ran without any boot trim trying to work out where its from. Its could be letting water in from the rear quarter glass or the roof rails.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

OK i had this leak and fixed it. take off both tail-lights and in the top corner you will notice the roof panel and side panel overlapping. It is here i found that the welding was not done correctly and left a gap of about 5mm wide and 2mm high. water pours through there, down the inside of the piller and then drops into the boot. left side was the worst (looking from back to front). sealed the gap with salley's no gaps and i haven't had a problem since.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
zane
Starter Motor

thanks Guys - appreciate the advice. I pulled the tail light off and couldnt see anything obvious - everything was well sealed.

I should note I have only noticed the issue after going thru a car wash - with high power jets. Havent seen it leak in normal rain (touch wood).

I have a hunch it may leak in around teh quarter glass. But I put a little silcone over/around the screw holes that hold the tail light in - they looked like an easy spot for water to get in.

time will tell.....
Old 29-07-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Biggs
Starter Motor

Here is the same problem taken from ffoc.co.uk.

Quote:
One of the most annoying traits of the Mk2 / 2.5 Focus is the fact that on a rainy day you cannot open the boot normally without water pouring into the boot. This is a result of water collecting in the gap between the bottom of the rear window and the boot lid. Well after 3yrs Ford have finally come up with a fix and are fitting it to all new Focus' coming off the production line. The fix is a simple plastic moulding that fits over each edge of the boot lid and this channels the water along the edge and hopefully into the gully area surrounding the boot opeining. Here is the official Ford info: "FOCUS 3/5 DOOR - WATERRAILS ON THE REAR SCREEN FOCUS 3 AND 5 DOOR BUILT SINCE APRIL 2008 ARE EQUIPPED WITH RUBBER RAILS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE REAR WINDOW GLASS. THESE RAILS WERE INTRODUCED TO PREVENT WATER DRIPPING INTO THE BOOT WHEN OPENING THE TAILGATE. THEY ARE INSTALLED CORRECTLY WHEN THEY OVERLAP THE GLASS AND TOUCH THE SHEET METAL OF THE TAILGATE" The good news is that you can order these from your local parts department and they will fit all Mk2 and 2.5 cars. The FINIS codes are as follows 1539801 - O/S moulding (Right) - £6.84 1539802 - N/S moulding (Left) - £6.79 I have no idea why they are different prices as they are pretty much identical but at a total cost of £16.02 including VAT you can't say fairer than that. If you have just picked up your Mk2.5 car and it has not come with these mouldings then maybe you could try and get your dealer fit them under warranty?
See pic below:

Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nice post Biggs, thank you.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #11
scooby

Biggs, we are talking about water leaking into a closed boot on a parked car, though a gap somewhere.
What you are describing is water pooling under the rear window, then running into the boot when the hatch is opened. I think the Mondeo had the same problem.
Two different issues, but thanks for the info.

Last edited by scooby; 29-07-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: spelling
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post