Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2008, 09:48 PM   #31
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Would you seriously give a 70 year old a manual???
My 78 y.o Nonno wouldnt drive anything else, 4 speed HG. Bought it brand spankers... Wont even go near an auto, unlike me, im lazy :hihi:

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
iCat
doof doof doof doof

thankyou for all the replies, the information is invaluable. a concern will also be something already mentioned: the bolsters on some of the seats. dad will have a ton of trouble getting in and out over those.

iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 12:11 AM   #33
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
My 78 y.o Nonno wouldnt drive anything else, 4 speed HG. Bought it brand spankers... Wont even go near an auto, unlike me, im lazy :hihi:
Old lady across the road from me, and another, 2 houses up from me, both drive manuals.

Across the road, i think is a XP/XR Falcon.. I reckon she has had it since new, always garaged. and never gets driven more than 4km at a time...... She must be in her 80s now, you hear her leaving, but she is in 3rd gear, 50 metres down the road!!!! Im keeping an eye on that one....................! Only driven to church on sundays....true in this case.

2 doors up drives an early 90s lancer hatch, and it is redlined in first gear, i dont know if they have found 2nd yet.... has Zero clutch/accelerator pedal balance any more, revs the guts out of it...
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2008, 10:38 AM   #34
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Makes you wonder how he drove when he was a young fellow!
Well he has regaled us with stories of rolling his beloved VW bug on the beach back in the 60s lol.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #35
MRJUCY
Fordless

Despite the Australian perception as being the Falcon company Ford really do make the best small cars going. They're not tinnie eccono boxes like the Asian makes & still drive like a proper car but not over priced to buy & run like the other euros.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
winkle

My old man's 70 in two weeks and has a 2 year old Landcruiser 78 series ute with the big turbo diesel 6 (before the V8 came out). He loves it more than he loves mum!!
winkle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #37
HLC
Audi S3

hyundai getz?

not the most comfortable car, but i reckon it fits the criteria specified in the first post.

i had fun in the one i had while my car was at the panel beaters :
Old 18-07-2008, 01:53 PM   #38
Carby

Get him some class - one of those Funky Fiat 500's would really give him something to stir up his Corolla driving mates down at the club playing Bingo on Wednesdays!
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #39
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

A FPV F6. At least whens he's gone you get to inherit a good car instead of a ten year old Beige Camry with 30,000 k's.
Old 18-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #40
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Its packed with small car features, even has a front windscreen.

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 08:30 PM   #41
bingoTE50
Steve

Try a Tiida . The doors open nice and wide and the seats are high and comfortable.
These go really well in auto form ,and my 70 year old loves hers.
In fact I rate them pretty highly myself for driving experience.
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #42
kim and james
FG G6E in Ego

A workmates old man lashed on a Focus a few months back and wishes he had done it years ago instead of hangin onto an EA
Old 18-07-2008, 10:26 PM   #43
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
I am buying a car for my ol' man at the moment. He wants a G6E, but now he is thinking of a BF GT .... run out. Was looking at the GT-P but it took him 10 bloody painfull (for me) minutes to get out of over the bolsters in the seat! He is 73. Mum just tells him his a bloody fool and grow up but I say go for it and have some fun and as it will be his last car
aint you a good chap buying your dad a expensive car as his last car ! thie is nothing wrong with owning a v8 as your last car ! my pops last car before he had to hand his licence in was a v8 valiant and he loved it and he also liked to have no exhaust system on the valiant but he kept crashing the valiant in other parked car or shopping trollies and granny kept say saying that is is an ******* idiot and they used to have screeming matches every time when pop hit some thing it was funny but i was only little ! after pop handed his licence in then they brought a ed futura so the family can drive granny to dialysis and pop always wanted to drive the ed ! and the family said no and their was arument over how he could'nt drive the new ed futura !
ieatsports_cars is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 10:40 PM   #44
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
aint you a good chap buying your dad a expensive car as his last car ! thie is nothing wrong with owning a v8 as your last car ! my pops last car before he had to hand his licence in was a v8 valiant and he loved it and he also liked to have no exhaust system on the valiant but he kept crashing the valiant in other parked car or shopping trollies and granny kept say saying that is is an ******* idiot and they used to have screeming matches every time when pop hit some thing it was funny but i was only little ! after pop handed his licence in then they brought a ed futura so the family can drive granny to dialysis and pop always wanted to drive the ed ! and the family said no and their was arument over how he could'nt drive the new ed futura !
Well he has helped me immensly in helping with my business and he is a Ford man through and through ..... even though he still drives his 65 series turbo deisel everywhere .... Been having a look around and the BF F6 is just such a bargain at the moment. AND there is method to my maddness as said below
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
An FPV F6. At least whens he's gone you get to inherit a good car instead of a ten year old Beige Camry with 30,000 k's.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 11:00 PM   #45
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Well he has helped me immensly in helping with my business and he is a Ford man through and through ..... even though he still drives his 65 series turbo deisel everywhere .... Been having a look around and the BF F6 is just such a bargain at the moment. AND there is method to my maddness as said below
well iam sure your dad will get the pleasure of owning a f6 i would to if it was one of my last cars ! lol i like your method as well ! but then you will have to take it of your mums hands she might enjoy it just as much lol, god yeah the amount i have spent on my el i could have brought a f6 :-(, i think it would be a hoot you dont see many of the aged population drive cars like the f6 well from what i have seen any way ! what colour would your dad like, as i said my old pop was a silly old bugger your dad proberly be a lot wiser and proberly has your helpfull mum to help on the road, when my old pop used to go for a drive we all used to cringe lol
Old 18-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #46
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

This is the one I am having a look at at the moment....... 43k drive away.

..... Cant get the link up but its from cars sales. Silloutte BF Mk11 30,ooo k;s for 43k drive away!

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-07-2008, 11:15 PM   #47
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

gees that is a good buy ! i guess he likes black ! yummy
Old 18-07-2008, 11:19 PM   #48
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatsports_cars
gees that is a good buy ! i guess he likes black ! yummy
Well he is already thinking about how he is going to wash it. SO .... to keep things on topic ...... THIS is what you should enjoy when your in your 70's ....

| [/url] |

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 18-07-2008, 11:43 PM   #49
ieatsports_cars
proud member of the MFCC

and i think that number plate says it all ! that is just one awesome looking vehicle !