Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Noisy fan belt

As the title says, I have noisy fan belt. Nothing over the top or particularly wrong with it (that I know of) but there is a distinct sort of whining/grinding noise coming from it.

My brother in law has an XR8 and I haven't noticed any similar noise coming from his front end (I might be too busy listening to the growling 8 though )

I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this and if stopping it is as simple as greasing up the wheels?

JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Silcon spray helps the grip... but it could be on its way out... check for cracks and chips in it...
Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
aye you
The Origional, The Best

strangly enough, on my old laser, i used to run a candle around the belts, with the car running, just be careful not to catch ur hand on the belt. stopped the noise for a good while.
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds more like a 'rusty wheel' does that still leave a failing belt as a possible culprit?

Where do you spray the silicon spray?

With the candle wax, I'm guessing you mean on the inside (grooved side) of belt?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
CliffM
XR6 Tragic

I wouldn't recommend a candle, however if you want to try lubricating the belt you should buy a cheap grease stick, then touch that to the belt while its running.
CliffM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Inside or out?
Old 07-04-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
aye you
The Origional, The Best

inside
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll give it a go later on.
I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=JMO]It sounds more like a 'rusty wheel' does that still leave a failing belt as a possible culprit?

Could be one of your pulleys. My powersteering pulley is noisey.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #10
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Know of a fix, apart from buying a new one?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My idler pulley is on the way out. It's very noisy. If I lubricate the middle of it with some WD40 or general purpose oil it shuts up for a few minutes, but then is right back to making a racket.

I read that you can't buy the pulleys separate, but there are a couple of ford parts that do the job OK. A google might turn up more.

Matt.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #12
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

To see which pulleys are dry you need to take off the belt
Then just spin them, you will hear which one is making the noise
Usually they get dry as the grease goes hard
If the idler pulleys are dry it is easily fixed, take them off, carefully pick out the seals with a sharp instrument trying not to damage them, clean the bearing and repack with new grease, push seals back in.
New bearings can sometimes be pressed in but often they just shatter, you can buy new pulleys about $30 each, or if the whole idler thing is broken (these can squeek too when the grease dries up) it is about $100 from Ford but has 2 new pulleys on it.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 05:46 PM   #13
crusher
Dirty ute club member

Just before I bought the ute the idler pulley was making noise and the bloke replaced it. So that much mean you can buy the pulley doesnt it? The belts making a bit of noise again/still so I need to do something about it too.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Foggy

There are aftermarket pulleys available as I fitted a new idler pulley 2 weeks ago. Cost me $26 for the pulley and took about 1/2 an hour. Only annoying thing is I should have bought the tension pulley at the same time as it is also noisey but couldnt pick it over the racket of the idler pulley.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The pulley in front of the power steering fluid reservoir has a rusty looking centre. I'm guessing that is the likely culprit.

How do I loosen the fan belt and remove this wheel or one of the others for cleaning and regreasing? How do I put it back together and retighten the fan belt?
Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 AM   #16
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Loosen the fan belt by putting a 3/8 socket into the square hole on the double idler pulley (Assuming its a 6). You might need a piece of pipe over it to get leverage. It is spring loaded so push against the spring (towards passenger side) and flick belt off the water pump, (make sure you have the sticker on the underside of the bonnet or know how it goes back on)

If it is the power steering pump pulley, it is a take off the pump and press on a new pulley job. Gently wiggle it from side to side if there is any movement around the centre shaft that could be the problem

If its the idler pulleys (normally is) there are 3 10mm bolts to undo, then a 15mm?? bolt to take the pulleys off the idler part.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #17
tickford90

Yeah mine were squealing as well then the belt snapped, got the car towed home, replaced the idler pulleys by lube mobile, took him an hour (lets not talk about the price). Then found that the water pump puller was dropping the belt off becuase the old belt had melted onto the pulley. Had to replace the whole water pump because the pulley is pressed on. It runs ver nice now, very quiet, all I have to do now, If i want to is the crank wheel and the power steering one but they are still very quiet after 300 000kms. i would just replace them if they have done alot of kms for piece of mind.

There's my two cents
tickford90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can you pick up the pulleys from supercheap, repco, burson's etc?
Old 17-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #19
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just replaced the idle and tension pulleys. Most of the sound is gone but there is still some more noise coming from one of the other pulleys. They are:

1. AC compressor
2. Water Pump
3. Power steering
4. Alternator
5. Crank shaft

What is needed to get each of them off and put them back on? They appear to have to be pulled but how do you get them back on? The crank shaft pulley is almost completely rusted looking and looks like it has a bolt in the centre of it holding it on. Is it a bolt off bolt on job?
Old 17-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #20
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) shouldn't be making noise...did you replace the belt at the same time? if anything it is more than likely the water pump
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #21
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

god damn it why is everyone dodgy LOL. i put all new belts on my EB. tightened to specs. the too much load on the alternator when using high beams, heater, stereo with subs etc makes it squeal so then as a last resort i put on some belt grip spray. haven't had a problem since
89.SVO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #22
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB S-pac
god damn it why is everyone dodgy LOL. i put all new belts on my EB. tightened to specs. the too much load on the alternator when using high beams, heater, stereo with subs etc makes it squeal so then as a last resort i put on some belt grip spray. haven't had a problem since
that's great...but au's have a self tensioning belt system, there are no bolts to loosen or tighten to adjust the tension
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2008, 10:33 PM   #23
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i didn't see AU anywhere so i was taking a guess
Old 17-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #24
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
well i didn't see AU anywhere so i was taking a guess
Thread is in an AU section (scroll up the top tells you where you are).
Back on subject, while the car is running carefully spray some crc or similar around the centre of the pulley you think may be the cause. If sound disapears or changes you know what needs replacing. Also grab some belt grip from supercheap or the like and spray both sides of the belt while the car is running.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2008, 08:16 AM   #25
89.SVO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ohhhhhh my bad. i just clicked on the thread. umm belt grip yes. crc no. i sprayed some crc on a belt at work. caused it to slip off and shred the belt.
Old 18-07-2008, 08:35 AM   #26
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
ohhhhhh my bad. i just clicked on the thread. umm belt grip yes. crc no. i sprayed some crc on a belt at work. caused it to slip off and shred the belt.
I wasn't telling him to spray it on the belt, spray it on the centre of say the water pump pulley, if the noise stops replace, if not spray the centre of the power steering pulley and so on.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post