Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Installing Superlow Help

Ok so im not very good at this installing stuff.. but my neighbour luckly is...

I have new King Superlows and im going to put them in my Fairmont.. is there anything i need to know b4 we do it 2moro such as any special tools, tricks helpful suggestions reguarding the front and rear set up, is one harded to do then the other... anything would help.

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
JoesAu

hey brad, The back will be fairly easy, is it Irs or live axle, IRS practically fall in, where as on live axle you will have to jack the car up at the diff then have stands placed on either side of the car at the start of the wheel archs theres jacking points!! drop the car down slowly, then undo the bottom of the shocker slide the old spring off then slide the newy on(this can be a bit tricky).

The fronts are a pain, basically you undo the whole system from memory, undo the bolts at the bottom on the lower control arm, then lift your bonnet and undo the 3 top bolts, then the shocker should fall out, swap over the springs, the front are time consuming.

Why dont you go see Kevin at tyre factory in town he will charge around about 100$ which will save you the headaches that can arrise cos believe me it aint worth it when you start then job then something comes up and you cant finish it. Save yourself the trouble lol believe me.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 07:30 PM   #3
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GK did a guide to changing the springs. I found these very helpful when changing mine:

Front
Rear

I found the rears a lot easier to do than the fronts. Follow GK's guide and it should all go smoothly.

Also, make sure everything is tightened up or else there will be a lot of creaking.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #4
brad`
The Monty

so JMO do u think joe had the best idea? just pay ? coz im a lazy haha

Old 28-05-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
JMO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally i wouldn't pay someone to do it for me. But if your lazy and want to save yourself time and trouble, then $100 doesn't seem too bad.
JMO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
brad`
The Monty

thanks for the guids to JMO, and JC even tho he aint here haha. Thanks Joe

Old 28-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
Ok so im not very good at this installing stuff.. but my neighbour luckly is...

I have new King Superlows and im going to put them in my Fairmont.. is there anything i need to know b4 we do it 2moro such as any special tools, tricks helpful suggestions reguarding the front and rear set up, is one harded to do then the other... anything would help.
Being a ford those skilnny little holden spring compressors wont hack it , you need the right units and the fronts are a little tougher .
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #8
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I wouldnt do it to be honest... i had superlows in mine when i bought it... whacked on the correct offset rims and the tyres rubbed the guards just sitting...
Old 28-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
I wouldnt do it to be honest... i had superlows in mine when i bought it... whacked on the correct offset rims and the tyres rubbed the guards just sitting...
I have superlows all round, no issues. I'm guessing either if you had superlows they were cut or reset, or your shocks were/are beyond stuffed.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 12:05 AM   #10
JoesAu

just do it u wont have a issue, im lower with 19's and dont hav a issue
Old 29-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #11
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthAu
I have superlows all round, no issues. I'm guessing either if you had superlows they were cut or reset, or your shocks were/are beyond stuffed.
That could also have been my issue's... but not knowing the unloaded length of a spring doesnt help me... and they werent cut... shocks are still in the car and are fine...
Old 29-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #12
brad`
The Monty

hey joe u got lows or supers ?

Old 29-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #13
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

this is a fairy easy job if you have some knowledge. From memory aabout the only special tools you'll need is spring compressers and if you dont have one i think the bolt on the bottom of the strut is a 24mm or there abouts they are very tight so if using a shifter watch your knuckles. Mine with SSL's did scrub round corners with 18 inch wheels. Just superlows you shouldnt have a problem

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
BLACKAUXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 05:51 PM   #14
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

dont mean to highjack or anything but would superlow or ultra low be the way to go? i only got the 17' series 2 wheels at the moment but ill will be upgrading to 19's soon.. would i have many issues besides bottoming out much with ultra's? anyone have any ideas?
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #15
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

actually never mind about my question i got it answered for me by a mate.. lol

** edit **

actually what would happen if i did this combo:

superlow for the front
ultra low for the rear?

would it even it out?

Last edited by MrXr6Tickford; 29-05-2008 at 06:39 PM.
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #16
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad`
hey joe u got lows or supers ?
mine are ultras at the back and supers on the front, sits pretty low at the back with all stezza in on top
Old 29-05-2008, 06:59 PM   #17
JoesAu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXr6Tickford
actually never mind about my question i got it answered for me by a mate.. lol

** edit **

actually what would happen if i did this combo:

superlow for the front
ultra low for the rear?

would it even it out?
my car sits pretty flat with about 1/4 of fuel, soon as i have more than that its lower at the back but i must say it still looks mad. Also subs dont help my situation either, im still running the factory shockers and they are absolutly rooted, waiting on the shortened shocks which im worried might lower the car again =/, then i'll have to dump the front which i dont wanna do
Old 29-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #18
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of people seem to say that you need lower at the back (i.e. SSL rear / SL front or SL rear / L front) to get it to sit level, but I haven't found that at all. Mine sits flat, with no subs or anything in the rear, just my spare wheel, and I have SL all round with Boge short shocks. No dramas with scrubbing with 245/40/18s on Ford 18" rims. Blueprint, I don't know what was wrong with yours, but to be hitting when sitting seems a bit extreme. What size wheels were they?? Plenty of people have SLs with 19" rims and no dramas, but most roll guards I believe.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
A lot of people seem to say that you need lower at the back (i.e. SSL rear / SL front or SL rear / L front) to get it to sit level, but I haven't found that at all. Mine sits flat, with no subs or anything in the rear, just my spare wheel, and I have SL all round with Boge short shocks. No dramas with scrubbing with 245/40/18s on Ford 18" rims. Blueprint, I don't know what was wrong with yours, but to be hitting when sitting seems a bit extreme. What size wheels were they?? Plenty of people have SLs with 19" rims and no dramas, but most roll guards I believe.

Thats as it sat with BA 1tonne 16" rims and tyres... although i loved the stance... it REALLY wasnt practical in the bush... and scrubbed my tyres :
Old 29-05-2008, 09:41 PM   #20
Night

I have minimal mech knowledge and I did mine in less than a day by myself thanks to gk's guide. It's not hard just time consuming with the front. I used spring compressors for the front but if your game you can just aim the top of the strut away from you and undo the bolt, and you won't need compressors to put the superlows in.

Mine has superlows all round with ba xr6 rims and sits perfectly, only problem is have to be carefull when going up driveways cause it will scrub if going too fast but in saying that I wouldn't have the problem if I roll the guards. Give it a go and you'll be rapt you did it yourself.

I don't know if the attachment worked but this is my car and even though it looks a bit lower in the rear it actually sits level all round
Night is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #21
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

I have ultra lows all round which have been reset a further inch and a half. I have 20 inch wheels although i did roll the gaurds for a price of about 10 bucks each at the tyre shop, and i have no issues anymore with tyre scrub. My sub box takes up my entire boot and as Joe said AU's do look unreal low. To give you an idea mine at lowest point is 67mm of the ground. I still don't have tyre scrub problems. If you put the 19's on you WILL need to roll the gaurds the 17's you wont

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
Old 30-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #22
brad`
The Monty

hey joe, the short shocks by memory lower it an extra copule of mills, so not alot but still enough to notice, my neighbour has a El futra with superlows all round and pedders short shocks all around and that thing scrapes just getting up normal drive ways, he has subs in boot too so that dont help tho.

I dont think u need lower at the back unless u wanna be like some Holden the back slammed and the front hight... coz that looks cool... :S if it works out to sit higher and un even just put shorter shocks in.

Old 30-05-2008, 06:56 PM   #23
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

The commodores get that look when the genius drivers cut the springs. As in the commodores the spring rate is different front to back so when you cut 2 coils out of the front and 2 at the back it lowers the back alot more then the front. Most bogan commodore drivers dont realise till its to late.

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL
CARBON FIBRE YOSHI PIPE
Old 30-05-2008, 10:30 PM   #24
brad`
The Monty

haha theres a reason for that... there "geniuses"... in there mind

I put my rear springs in today.. took like 30 mins to do that... now i know people said the front was harder but, damn its a pain in the ***, took me an hour and a bit to put the front spring in, and then.. ran out of day light to put the otehr (front right) in... so now my car is off the road till Tuesday, since i work all w.e