Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
slim

Default tints

Going to get my windows tinted,35% is max over here(nz),have been told that it's too dark at night though,any thoughts on this please ??????????
slim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
nugget666
lord of the nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim
Going to get my windows tinted,35% is max over here(nz),have been told that it's too dark at night though,any thoughts on this please ??????????

IMO it is a tad dark but it depends what your into i tend to think driving with dark tint is just like driving with sunnies on.

:evilking: I saw a commodore chasing a Falcon up the street the other day.. O WAIT they were racing!!!

was about to go wakeboarding but i didnt know about the wheather..... wheather to go or not
nugget666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
BlueRaven
Dual O2 sensors

When our old car was tinted, driving at night took a week or two to get used to, but I don't think there is any real danger, afterall your windscreen is not being tinted.
Old 15-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
nugget666
lord of the nuggets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaven
When our old car was tinted, driving at night took a week or two to get used to, but I don't think there is any real danger, afterall your windscreen is not being tinted.

yeah you get used to everything so it will just take time.

:evilking: I saw a commodore chasing a Falcon up the street the other day.. O WAIT they were racing!!!

was about to go wakeboarding but i didnt know about the wheather..... wheather to go or not
nugget666 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 07:50 PM   #5
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My current car has 20% tint and night driving isn't a problem. Last car had the 35% tint and I always wished it was a bit darker..

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 10:16 PM   #6
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

The ute has 15% on the front windows and 10% on the 1/4's and rear. No problem at all of a night

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Got 35% on mine, perhaps it's because I'm used to driving with tints but never really had a problem at night with it.

I'm wondering with illegal tints, would an insurance company refuse a claim if you were in an at fault accident?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 01:56 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just got the ute done. Found out that being a commercial vehicle I am allowed to go as dark as a I like on the rear window ... so I put 5% on the rear window and 20% on the side windows.

Still getting used to it ... on all previous cars have had 35% and wished I had gone darker ... this time I did go darker.

35% is easy to see through at night ... especially trying to reverse in dark carparks, etc.

I just wanted darker tint for more security (courier vehicle) and also the sun on my back harsh without tint.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 07:00 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Last car had the 35% tint and I always wished it was a bit darker..
I know the feeling...

BTW, I thought the thread title said tits. LOL

Oo\===/oO

Last edited by Peuty; 16-06-2005 at 07:16 PM.
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a window tinter i have had some stupid degrees of tint on my cars. have found it can be a bit dark at night, especially when turning corners when needing to look out the side windows for pedestrians or other objects. I now have 20% on my BA now and its just fine. if you have a black interior 35% looks great but a lighter colored interior will make the tint look lighter.
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2005, 11:43 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Speaking of black interiors .... my AU ute is all black ... and with the dark tint now ... it seems pretty damn dark during the day
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The hardest thing is going through suburban roundabouts at night when they are poorly lit. My EB had very dark tint and it was very hard to see out the side windows in those situations. Someone on a bike with no lights would have been mincemeat as I wouldn't have been able to see them.
It is true that if you go to a really dark tint it actually makes the car hotter inside rather than helping to keep heat out. My EB used to get very hot in the sun, much hotter than other cars i've owned with lighter colored tint.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 02:32 PM   #13
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
I'm wondering with illegal tints, would an insurance company refuse a claim if you were in an at fault accident?
Yeah, what is the story with that?
Old 18-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
fatxagt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard that one from lots of people although im not so sure. The less summer sun on me the better I say.
fatxagt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #15
red xbgt
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Got 35% on mine, perhaps it's because I'm used to driving with tints but never really had a problem at night with it.

Because the tinting beyond 35% is an illegal modification, your insurance company (if they find out), will most likely refuse a claim, even if you are NOT at fault
Vixen Red MkII GT-P, SatNav, Leather, stripes
red xbgt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 08:18 AM   #16
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by red xbgt
Because the tinting beyond 35% is an illegal modification, your insurance company (if they find out), will most likely refuse a claim, even if you are NOT at fault
That's pretty much what I thought and why I stayed with 35%
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post