Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
Cooper69S

Default better than painting the airbag??

saw this on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=022
described as a hornpad

I thought the airbags were a sealed unit and I'd need to replace or paint my existing grey one to make it match the new momo wheel - is it true that you can just replace the cover?
I'm waiting to hear about a replacement airbag but this might be a cheaper alternative if the airbag is nla...

Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #2
Kryton

ask him.
i thought they were sealed as well.
if they are and thats a whole airbag unit, its pretty bloody cheap.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 01:56 AM   #3
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
ask him.
I did
just haven't heard yet so thought i'd ask here. will post the reply here if i get one from him
Old 18-02-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Q: Hi is this item suitable for changing a grey airbag to black? I thought the entire airbag was one unit and the front couldn't be swapped. If this item is suitable then I'm interested. thanks.

A: You are able to change to black, it is a complete unit but for technical reasons we are only able to describe unit as a hornpad.

Sounds bloody interesting too...
Old 18-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #5
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As long as the technical reason isn't it has been set off
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
lostdude

it sounds dangerous, like the guy is trying to cover his own bottom just incase its going to blow up.
but i'm also interested in the conversion if you do ever decide to do it, i tried bidding for an airbag unit and it went to stupid prices.
Old 18-02-2008, 06:47 PM   #7
LUXO_8
windsor user

i have used the vinyl colour dye on mine and it has been great for 2 years, its only just starting to show signs of wear... cant say the same about the leather wheel though which i havent dyed, which has worn through.
will be giving both the wheel and the hornpad another dose of dye soon.

its not worth buying that one (which he has probably vinyl dyed himself) as you dont know the history of it.....its without a doubt from a smashed car...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Kryton

theres nothing dangerous about it at all.
i believe there is some law which basically states its illegal to sell second hand airbags.
as most cars that are in the wreckers have been in a smash, the authorities believed taht there could be damage to unspent airbags and there isnt really any cost effective way to test them so they were outlawed.
if you happen to by a crashed car and the airbag hasnt been deployed, your supposed to set it off before it gets removed and replaced.
having said that though, i have used airbags from wreckers and havent had any problems with them.
also, youll have fun with Australia Post if you try and send one.
they wont take explosives and if you dont declare it and actually do send it and it goes off....well you better hope it doesnt.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It takes bugger all time and effort to paint you existing one, and it comes up a perfect match.
Old 18-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
rosefisted

Just inquired on the second "hornbag" lisiting on Ebay...

I asked the seller this...

"I'm interested in finding out more about this item. Considering AU Falcons have a driver's side airbag standard, and it is a complete-sealed unit, what is a "horn-pad" exactly. Additionally, what are "technical reasons" that meant you are "only able to describe unit as a hornpad". Is it an easy fit to swap "hornpads"? I'm concerned, because if I buy one, then I don't want to interfere with my car's airbag - certainly, the legal ramifications of doing so must be apparent. "

I will post his reply.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 08:03 PM   #11
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you will find this is an airbag but listed as a "horn pad" for legal reasons. you can't sell or post an airbag so he is not calling it one
: this was at the bottom of the listing
A: You are able to change to black, it is a complete unit but for technical reasons we are only able to describe unit as a hornpad.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
rosefisted

Right, just recieved an email back from the seller of "hornpads"...

Here it is...

We cannot sell airbags on ebay, even if they are not deployed and in good working order. To get around this we are describing them as "hornpads" All the later vehicles have drivers airbags, so we assumed that people would know that this item is the complete unit.
- aussiespares
Old 19-02-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
rosefisted

Additionally, I looked through the eBay policy guide.. and yeap, used Airbags cannot be sold on eBay.

Needless to say, the stirrer I am has reported the seller for touting the regulations... lol
Old 19-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #14
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosefisted
Needless to say, the stirrer I am has reported the seller for touting the regulations... lol
Um, why?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #15
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question airbags

Hi guys
thanks I have an AU Fairmont wheel and I was going to put it on Ebay
What I did was get an EL wheel with airbag but only used the wheel and kept the AU airbag the "horn pad" is a bit crappy but the EL one is good but the plugs are different so I kept my AU one
By the look of it you can dismantle the hornpad by drilling out the 8 rivets but you would have to be pretty good so as to not drill in to the airbag itself
I was hoping to get $50 for the lot on Ebay should I post them on our buy and sell site?
or would that be against the rules
thanks JOHN
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #16
rosefisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Um, why?
Because I can, that's why...
Old 19-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #17
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
If you have a moral objection to it, that's more than fair enough. But if not, it's pretty petty.
Old 20-02-2008, 12:27 AM   #18
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
If you have a moral objection to it, that's more than fair enough. But if not, it's pretty petty.
agreed.

yeah its not legal or whatever but they bloke is selling bargain airbags which are like a 6-700 dollar part.

he's doing us a favour lol
Old 20-02-2008, 12:30 AM   #19
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

be interesting to see how long a guy with an attitude like that lasts on here
Old 20-02-2008, 12:55 AM   #20
Cooper69S

Quote:
:
i picked up the bargain airbag anyway. if anyone else needs one i'd recommend grabbing their details and phoning them direct if they get banned. phone number's on their ebay store site.
Old 20-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #21
rosefisted

Quote:
Most def moral... I have an uncle who worked at Aus Post in Carrum Downs in 2002... Because some body thought it would be a great idea to post a butane BBQ cylinder (one of the small, throwaway ones)... He was working night shift when the thing went... Blind in left eye, permanent hearing damage... Tell him it's a good idea to post airbags...
Old 20-02-2008, 07:18 PM   #22
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Most def moral... I have an uncle who worked at Aus Post in Carrum Downs in 2002... Because some body thought it would be a great idea to post a butane BBQ cylinder (one of the small, throwaway ones)... He was working night shift when the thing went... Blind in left eye, permanent hearing damage... Tell him it's a good idea to post airbags...
a butane cylinder is significantly different to an airbag. it might deploy but is not a flamible gas like butane. also the reaction is quite localised
Old 20-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #23
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
a butane cylinder is significantly different to an airbag. it might deploy but is not a flamible gas like butane. also the reaction is quite localised
Let one off, they are leathal. There are laws against selling them and posting them for a reason.
Old 20-02-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
rosefisted

Airbags on YouTube...

Launching an aluminium wheel with an airbag...
and another "test"
Ouch, my nuts...
Yeap.. localised, alright...
Old 20-02-2008, 09:45 PM   #25
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
That's horrible. As I said mate, more than fair enough. Just from your initial wording sounded like you were being a trouble maker.

I must admit, I've been guilty of selling 2 airbags on ebay, but I had no idea that it was illegal to sell or post them. Now that I know that, it won't be happening again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
Let one off, they are leathal. There are laws against selling them and posting them for a reason.
Is there any way they can go off though without being powered?
Old 20-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #26
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's horrible. As I said mate, more than fair enough. Just from your initial wording sounded like you were being a trouble maker.

I must admit, I've been guilty of selling 2 airbags on ebay, but I had no idea that it was illegal to sell or post them. Now that I know that, it won't be happening again.

Is there any way they can go off though without being powered?
They are a gas powered explosive triggered electroniclly, I am fairly sure there is a chance they could go off without power.
Old 21-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #27
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the detonator needs to be powered to deploy it, the gas is generated by igniting a chemical compound (it needs a detonator to do this) this gives of vast quantities of gas inflating the airbag rapidly. AFAIK once they are dissconnected they won't deploy but there is an outside chance they can when connecting them. the issue with post is the compound that gives off the gas is classed as an explosiove therefore it is prohibited for post. some explosives will not explode as such in an open container they just ignight and give off lots of gas. restrain the same compound in a closed enviroment and the gas causes an explosion. I hope this clarifies things
Old 22-02-2008, 06:04 PM   #28
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
theres nothing dangerous about it at all.
i believe there is some law which basically states its illegal to sell second hand airbags.
as most cars that are in the wreckers have been in a smash, the authorities believed taht there could be damage to unspent airbags and there isnt really any cost effective way to test them so they were outlawed.
if you happen to by a crashed car and the airbag hasnt been deployed, your supposed to set it off before it gets removed and replaced.
having said that though, i have used airbags from wreckers and havent had any problems with them.
also, youll have fun with Australia Post if you try and send one.
they wont take explosives and if you dont declare it and actually do send it and it goes off....well you better hope it doesnt.
I send them by Aussie post all the time, just don't sign the aviation declaration so it has to go by road and there is no problem.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:43 PM   #29
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the detonator needs to be powered to deploy it, the gas is generated by igniting a chemical compound (it needs a detonator to do this) this gives of vast quantities of gas inflating the airbag rapidly. AFAIK once they are dissconnected they won't deploy but there is an outside chance they can when connecting them. the issue with post is the compound that gives off the gas is classed as an explosiove therefore it is prohibited for post. some explosives will not explode as such in an open container they just ignight and give off lots of gas. restrain the same compound in a closed enviroment and the gas causes an explosion. I hope this clarifies things
Not really, but if you have the knowledge what type of gas compound is used? How is it activiated electronically? I would think it unlikely for one to go off in transit, but not impossible.