Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-05-2005, 03:26 PM   #1
4lex
the pom

Default Need some pink slip advice quickly

G'day all,

My EB2's in the shop for pink slip inspection, and all is well except front upper balljoints. I gave the guy a sob story on the phone about having spent a grand on it in the last month (new tyres, springs, dampers, brakes) and he's said he'll go ahead and issue the pink slip if I'll leave a deposit to get the work done within the next month.

Anyone know the legality of this? What's the position with the issue of the pink slip, will it have this proviso attached? Would I actually be obliged to return to this particular garage to get the work done, or could I do it myself?

Have to pick it up at 4, so would be very grateful of some quick advice!

Cheers all,
Alex
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

That's probably not legal. But then again neither is your car, so you either do them, go along with him or go elsewhere.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #3
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

Doesn't sound too legal to me, if you want to do it make sure that you get a receipt for any cash your going to leave him, and make sure he writes what the cash is for.

Sorry just doesn't sit right with me. :(
Old 23-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
4lex
the pom

Cheers. So effectively he can't legally issue a pink slip with a proviso and he's asking me for fifty bucks to 'not notice the balljoints', which I could claim back if I gave him the work? Might have to go with that.
Old 23-05-2005, 03:41 PM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why not get it fixed before the inspection? I reckon if this guy is offering to do it hes goin to charge you through the roof. If you leave a deposit i doubt he would refund it if you went somewhere else. Save the hassle and get it done before the inspection. This guy sounds pretty dodgy to me. As for the inspection itself. You might be suprised what they can pick you up for. You mgiht think everything is fine but then find something that not. I know when i had to get a rego inspection they found shit that i had no idea bout. Fortunately only one of the things was a fail and was easy to fix and the other things were recommended things to be fixed in the future.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
gtfpv
GT

ITS ILLEGAL FOR HIM TO ISSUE A PINK SLIP WITH AN UNRAODWORTHY CAR. secondly if it is unroadworthy he has the right to issue a white slip then it must be fixed before rego he is either ripping you or doing you a favour either way this is insanity . go somewhere else and see what they say that is if he doesn't give you a white slip.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

If you trust the guy, then just do it, he is doing you a favour, or he can reject your car, and you will then HAVE to get it repaired before you can register it again.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 03:50 PM   #8
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Yeah he's doing you a favour, but it's not legal. Either go with it and pay him to do it later, do it yourself now or do it yourself later and lose the deposit you gave him.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2005, 03:53 PM   #9
4lex
the pom

Yep, thanks guys, thought this was the case. I'll do the balljoints, but it'll be next month now as I'm broke from changing the suspension and tyres. Matey can have his fifty bucks deposit for the work which I'll do myself (except the hydraulic press bit), I need the new rego as of next weekend. Balljoints aren't that bad frankly, I inspected the whole lot when I stripped out the springs and dampers over the weekend.