Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 AM   #31
goop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That WQ thing (3 blinker flashes with a tap) sounds annoying.
I don't know why you'd think that. It's for lane-changing. You tap it and across you go.
Within 4 or 5 uses it's completely intuitive :
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 AM   #32
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Photn, what you probably felt was traction control, which is slightly different from ESP/DSC.

Traction control reduces wheel spin, on certain cars this system can be quite aggressive if you arnt smooth enough.

On my GTI if you release the clutch too quickly with too many revs it really kills power.
If your smooth and slip the clutch from 2,200 rpm gently then it absolutely takes off like a rocket and traction control doesnt kick in.

ESP controls sideways forces and is quite smooth in its operation, you cant have it be too rough through a corner otherwise it would potentially de stabilise the car even further. When ESP activates if feels almost like your driving through a very strong head wind, just buffers the feeling slightly. As danny mentioned, potentially serious collisions are avoided by a few simple blinks of the esp light in the dash.
hmm wierd thing was there was no loss of traction.. he was going quickly around a bend shall we say lol. and the car just bogged down, lost power untill came around the corner and then power was back on.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 11:40 AM   #33
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

No loss of traction because the system was activated
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #34
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Don't forget about modern, advanced types of ESP like in new Ferraris and Porsches that actually make even race drivers faster. That technology will eventually be passed on to "lowly," sports cars like the XR4, like everything else was.
Id like to see that.
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 12:59 PM   #35
wylergnu
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbo
- the rear wiper wipes when the front ones are on and the reverse gear is selected.
My god...... Ive always wondered why the rear wiper would sometimes turn on for no apparent reason. Its annoyed the heck out of me. I must have been in reverse!
wylergnu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 04:33 PM   #36
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
If you are a good enough driver and alert and smart you shoudlnt need ESP.
Yeah but for the other 95% of drivers on our roads Caught unawares by Problem situations, and nay have a CLUE on what to do (Like ahem, You?), ESP is a fantastic tool....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #37
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Yeah but for the other 95% of drivers on our roads Caught unawares by Problem situations, and nay have a CLUE on what to do (Like ahem, You?), ESP is a fantastic tool....
ohh i agree with you 100% but im just saying thats what i interpreted ivan as saying...

i WANT esp.. and now that the loan HAS been approved.. I will be getting a car with ESP.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #38
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Woah, I didnt expect to stir up some dusts.

What I mean about what I said is that people are focussing too much on ESP, TC, DSC, ABC, HIW, KYJ, AYC, ACDC, ETC and forgetting other major factors that can prevent serious accidents.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 05:37 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Id like to see that.
Porsche 997 Carrera S, 7:59 on Nurburgring-Nordschleife with PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and PSM (Porsche Stability Management) set to Performance... by Walter Rohrl, factory test driver and former rally great.

With the new F430 at Fiorano with their test driver's there's no difference in performance with the professional testers having the manettino switch in "Race" (limited traction and stability control interference) and "CST," (all systems off).

When stuff like this hits normal cars though... .

More on topic... I had an instance or two, ahem, hehe, in my Fiesta that would've been avoided with ESP. One cost me $310... which was a new tie-rod (front right) and wheel alignment. Wet road + slightly loose surace due to poorly maintained by council wet road + 60km/h + median strip = bad for suspension. Though it was either that or smack a parked car so I think I chose the better of the two.... :(
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 PM   #40
morbo

Am I allowed to do a youtube link?
Youtube (and ESP) is your friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-hHWSQhKuc
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 06:55 PM   #41
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very nice vid. thanks for sharing.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 AM   #42
frinik

like the fez coz the cabin light turns off if i dont close the door properly ...thus saving my battery ;)
frinik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #43
morbo

Really? I didn't know that.

Meanwhile I can only find THREE cup holders. Am i blind? One in each front door and one near the mp3 input.
morbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 01:57 AM   #44
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Quote:
Porsche 997 Carrera S, 7:59 on Nurburgring-Nordschleife with PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management) and PSM (Porsche Stability Management) set to Performance... by Walter Rohrl, factory test driver and former rally great.

With the new F430 at Fiorano with their test driver's there's no difference in performance with the professional testers having the manettino switch in "Race" (limited traction and stability control interference) and "CST," (all systems off).
Neither of those show ESP being faster than no ESP
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #45
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr
Neither of those show ESP being faster than no ESP
Oh right, forgot to mention... with PASM and PSM off... he did 8:05 in the 997 S. 6 seconds with PASM & PSM on... with a professional driver.

7:59 with PASM on Performance and PSM on
8:02 with PASM on Sport and PSM on
8:05 with PASM on Standard and PSM on
8:05 with everything off
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #46
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
What I mean about what I said is that people are focussing too much on ESP and forgetting other major factors that can prevent serious accidents.
I agree, You cant throw a car into absolute silly high speed low friction oblivion and throw up your hands expecting the Electro Nannies to save you.

They're good for situations where you're caught unawares.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post