Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM   #1
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Default GPS options for speedometer?

Hey guys, im thikning of buying a GPS unit to give me accurate speed readings for the XP Falcon. The stock speedo is rarely accurate, and is in MPH.

I need a small but well visible unit thats not as big as a movie screen, it doesnt need Navigation or anything, and is essentially reliable and trouble free.

Anyone know what my options are?

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 10:16 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

All the navmans do a speed readout but as for its accuracy i dont know, its always been in par with the speedo for me though. You can pick up an F20 for under $400 now, the screen is 2.5" wide so you can still see it. I know you said no navigation but for the price it might be worthwhile?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 PM   #3
zhodak
Shakern, not stirred

I have TOMTOM installed on my nokia N73 and it has a speed setting plus all the other gear. If you have a PDA (Palm or Pocket PC), there are quite a
few freeware programmes out there ( http://gps.pdatopsoft.com/) that would suit your requirements. You'll just have to get a GPS receiver and install the programme.
New toy, 2005 TX RWD Territory, Black, optioned with Ex JC Cross 5 19's soon to be matt black alloys in 19x8.5, cruise and tinted glass, tricky pedals, JVC Head Unit in the what use to be tissue holder, reversre camera, Ford window shades, JC sourced cargo blind, MOMO wheel (in black of course). MB Quartz 2 ways in rear doors and Precision Response 6" Kevlar splits in front doors, LED DRL's, fog lights with angel eyes and Castle Headers, Hurricane cat and XR8 Hotdog
zhodak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

There is Speedos out now that are GPS ... Im going to geelong tomorrow to have a look at some so I can have it in my XW .... there is a few different brands and most are in MPH but there is a few in KM's.

Have a look on E-bay u.s.a. theres a few there
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

yeah ive used a PDA version in the past, but I had alot of troubles with them keeping a good satellite lock reliably.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-07-2007, 01:21 AM   #6
MRJUCY
Fordless

Road Angel Evo sounds like the go to me it's small, cheap & doesn't have the mapping you don't need but does have the warnings for cameras etc that is always handy.

http://roadangel.com.au/SectionIndex.aspx?PageID=307
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

This option isnt for everyone - but a cheap carputer and a sunvisor LCD screen would sure do the trick with a bluetooth or USB GPS reciever. and would all mount out of the way without cables and wires hanging around, or unsightly holders and clips.

You could even set it up to log your locations and speeds so if you ever get a speeding fine you can look back and see if you realy deserved it, or if the car ever gets stolen, you can find out where theyve traveled too assuming you get it back (might need to mount a hidden hard drive behind the passenger airbag pannel so they dont steal the info though) and if theyve taken the car home you can rock up with a baseball bat!
If the mrs's takes the car for a drive you can tell when shes been thrashing it too.

Then it also adds voice navigation and all the works that go with it and expands possibilities in all sorts of other areas, remote video servailance, mobile internet, VOIP car phone, data logging, dvd player, telly, live traffic reports, need for speed while your driving and more.
Old 13-07-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
Macca23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you want a nice touch screen gps that gives u accurate speed. I would use any of the garmin range.

the one i have is a c510 and its excellent, when i had the 4wd with big tyres the speedo was out 30k/hr when traviling high speeds, it was good and i would say its very accurate as i never had a speeding fine and have done over 100,000ks in the beast!

if u want a fancy model than the c510 look at the nuvi 660 - has blue tooth and mp3 player etc, flat wide screen!

heres a link for u http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/mobile.php
Macca23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2007, 10:01 AM   #9
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca23
if you want a nice touch screen gps that gives u accurate speed. I would use any of the garmin range.

heres a link for u http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/mobile.php
I can vote on Garmen as well, I've used a street polit and a hand held for years and they've been brilliant. Map updates are regular too.
aquahead2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've used my TomTom to get an idea of how accurate the speedo is in the ute and then I just use the speedo most of the time, but then I don't live in Victoria. I've got an Ipaq 5965 which is a PDA with built in GPS and the satellite lock is pretty good.
Regards,
Tote
Old 13-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #11
xrdreaming

Most GPS units have a few seconds delay in showing speed. This could be a problem if you were doing 60kph a few seconds ago but the police radar hits you at a higher speed that your GPS is not showing yet. I use the Garmin Nuvi 310 and it has been great in the six months I have had it.
Old 13-07-2007, 11:12 AM   #12
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

GPS is accurate, but there is a litlte lag, as mentioned. It depends on the quality and refresh rate of the GPS unit. But dont expect for a minute that just because you are driving by your GPS speed read out that you wont get booked. On a trip to QLD across the plenty hiway I got booked for doing 135kph in a nissan patrol just short of longreach. My GPS was reading 115kph. The police radar was obviuosly wrong, but the cops were a brick wall when I tried to reason with them. I guess when the quota is a bit short any interstate plate is easy money.
Old 13-07-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Road Angel Evo sounds like the go to me it's small, cheap & doesn't have the mapping you don't need but does have the warnings for cameras etc that is always handy.
This is the direction im leaning to at the moment. Unfortunately they are being discontinued.

Jack, I dont expect to be able to use this as a legal defence, its more of a replacement for a speedo that simply doesnt work accurately enough. Also i dont want to sit there trying to calculate mph -> kph conversions all day long.

2003 BA Fairlane G220

Old 13-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #14
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Here's an option from left field for you - a bike computer. You just need to have a magnet on either a front hub or front wheel and mount the sensor, then calibrate it using a GPS.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #15
henry 351
Punch it baby, punch it.

Location: Working hard. If you work hard you get the goodies.

SB,

I'm not sure what your XP speedo reads to for top speed, but you may want to just recalibrated it to read in kph.