Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Banned

Default car repair questions (just out of interest)

how long does it take you guys to save money to do up cars because i want to know so i know whats the best way to go as im at my auntys and shes got no room in her yard to put them.

i also want to know where you guys put your cars if you got the trouble of not having enough room in your yard and i really desprately want to get in to the hobby of restoring cars oneday soon.

what would yous sugest about storing them i may be able to save up for the actual cars but i cant afford land or a house with a large shed so what would you guys sugest thats just sometime down the track

12000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

When you don't have your own roof over your head its best to do up a car that's already registered and rolling. This way it still serves a purpose of being transport, and it's able to be stored on the street.

Be vary careful of buying a project that needs to sit in a yard, you never know what will happen and you may be asked (or forced) to "remove your junk" with very short notice.

If you store them, you are looking at a minimum of around $100 a month, then you got transport costs, tooling, all the mistakes you will make, as well as the usual problems, that will cost you more money. And remember, working on a car takes ages as well as costs a mint, depending on what you need to do. So make an estimate of time frame and costs then double it to be conservative.

Mate, take your time. Get yourself a cheap run around and do bits and pieces to it. You will learn a lot and while learning (and saving) you will let other things like getting your own place take the lead of priorities.

Once you have your own place your "junk" can stay where ever it wants as long as you maintain the rent or mortgage payments.

Good luck
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Banned

what did you mean about this message Be vary careful of buying a project that needs to sit in a yard, you never know what will happen and you may be asked (or forced) to "remove your junk" with very short notice.
12000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #4
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

He's talking about renting or if the council get on your back and want you to remove your "scrap cars". Some landlords are alright about it, though that normally means that your garage and backyard are full of their "project" and "parts" cars lol. In your case since your not renting would your aunt mind if you had a "classic" car slowly rusting away on her lawn, as thats what will happen if you don't have anywhere to store it. You have to remember that if you are starting with a real cheap junker it more than likely wont be drivable, especially after you start pulling it apart.

If you don't have anywhere to store and work on a large project then don't get one. Do what Yellow Festiva said and buy an everyday car that you can save up and do small mods to over time. If its an older car (i.e. 10 years plus) you will find that you may also end up doing your own repairs too which will give you extra knowledge. Then when you get yourself settled (hopefully somewhere with a garage of some sort) sometime down the track you can start on your dream project.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #5
meg

if you don't have much money and knowledge of cars, your probably best off buying something that is already done, then gaining experience from maintainance. rather than starting something that ends up running out of time/ money/ willingness to finish it. look around ther is often cars that have been done up being sold due to financial of other problems, for less than half the cost of building it yourself. good buys at the moment are xa-xf falcon sedans, they are cheap and parts are still fairly available, but most of all still look tough done up. good luck!
meg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #6
Flouro_Joe
Banned

My car was a running restoration and my only transport for over 10 years. It is now mint and only driven occaisionally. Only downside is it has more than 400,000Km on it now, so it wouldn't be worth all that much.
Flouro_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post