Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pursuit 1/4 Times

howdy, Ive just recently had my 290 down the strip (standard except ss cold air and throttle body, shitty push bent cat back and rip shift)
I posted a 14.6 @ 101.8, I'm a little disappointed as i thought it would go a little better than this I don't know but I know some of you will, Is this any good? I had massive wheel spin off the line in all my runs. (first time at the strip, very first run was a16.996@ 98.03). I know the ss cai is no good and will be swapped for a bluepower box soon, Di phillipo 4 into 1's and system, and a tune. All I can say is this drag caper is totally addictive and there will be more to come.

bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Massive wheelspin is your biggest problem.

Street radials are exactly for that the street, you need drag radials or racing slicks to get some grip.

Of course better mods like CAI, zorst and flash tune will give you more power but that's when you will really need better rubber.

Being a manual with extra power will take it's toll on your clutch.

A diff gear change will help transfer the power better also...3.7's is good for a 5 speed manual and 4.10's for the 6 speeds.

Good luck

Cheers Craig
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I am quite new to the sport of drag racing. The first time I took off down the track I was shocked at how crap my times were. But I am sure with some practice and better technique I might post some competitive times. I am sure you will also!

Maybe, if you are using street tyres, don't hold the revs up so high on launch. Most likely you will have to ride the clutch a bit off the line and then once in motion dump it.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #4
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dropping the tyre pressure a bit always helps to.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:12 AM   #5
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

I remember when Chris first tuned my ute and I went to WSID with my Dunlop SP3000's, my 60' went up to 2.4 seconds and the car was slipping and sliding all over the place. I was new at the game then and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I rang Chris and he said its all in the tyres mate.
Either buy or borrow some ET streets, especially if you are going the BluePower way, and you won't be disappointed. It worked for me.....LoL

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
GASXR6

I have a BA XR8 ute that runs similar mph to your pursuit and run my everyday street tyres (unknown brand) and run high 13's with 6 spdeed manual. Extractors helix and cai. Your mph indicates you will be in the 13's or low 14's without doing anything other than change you driving style. I don't touch my air pressures and run 40 psi all round. It is the hardest thing to get off the line, but when you find the right rpm to leave on you will stop the wheelspin and start to achieve quicker times. I leave at around 2,000 rpm. Hope this helps.
GASXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Bonspeed a bit of practice definitely helps as you have already found. What launch technique were you using?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 PM   #8
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Bonspeed a bit of practice definitely helps as you have already found. What launch technique were you using?

Hi outback, for a start i think it was rev the **** out of it and dump the clutch, I soon found this was not the correct way and ended up pretty much driving off the line (almost at idle) and then flooring it. although my times were better wheelspin in first and second was shocking its almost as if the track was ice. I also had a bad habit of hitting the rev limiter.

Thanks every one for the comments and im sure that with more practice and sticky tyres ill get an improved time. I really want to run in the twelves, I know alot of people here do and was wondering what sort of money I will have to spend to achieve this.

Last edited by bonspeed; 08-05-2007 at 07:39 PM.
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #9
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Thats what i did, well worth doing although i ended up using alot more RPM at the track once i started to get some heat into the tyres thanks to Craig@ACE's advice.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post