Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
cowboy
Cowboy

Angry My local Ford dealer - Grrrrr

Decided it was finally time to update the XD and join the modern world. To this end I went into my local ford dealer and asked for a quote on a brand new XR8 ute. Got the written quote, went away for a few hours and thought, went back and said yes. Signed contract, paid deposit etc. About an hour later recieved a phone call from dealer saying very sorry but we made a mistake and quoted you on an xr6. You can still have your ute but it will cost $6500 more than the price you signed on. Spoke to consumer affairs and my lawyer and discovered to my disgust that sales contracts ARE WORTH NOTHING!!!!! Pride made me cancel the order and get my deposit back. Not happy Jan!

So back in the market now....

cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy
Decided it was finally time to update the XD and join the modern world. To this end I went into my local ford dealer and asked for a quote on a brand new XR8 ute. Got the written quote, went away for a few hours and thought, went back and said yes. Signed contract, paid deposit etc. About an hour later recieved a phone call from dealer saying very sorry but we made a mistake and quoted you on an xr6. You can still have your ute but it will cost $6500 more than the price you signed on. Spoke to consumer affairs and my lawyer and discovered to my disgust that sales contracts ARE WORTH NOTHING!!!!! Pride made me cancel the order and get my deposit back. Not happy Jan!

So back in the market now....
If you signed and paid your deposit & then said on 2nd thoughts no I will stick with my XD you would be liable correct?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #3
kervs
Save Mt Panorama

Contracts do mean something, but you may find that being able to conditionally withdraw or alter the quote was a clause in the contract.

I've heard similar stories in the past.

The faster we use fossil fuel, the faster they'll find something else.
kervs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:44 AM   #4
stomper

Contracts are written by the companies to protect the companies. Gee, 6500 bucks under price I would have signed without thinking about it.
stomper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 12:57 AM   #5
cowboy
Cowboy

So would i now. Was my first quote, didn't know it was so cheap!
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 AM   #6
peterban
AULTD

Contracts usually have E&OE in them at the bottom.
This means errors and ommisions excepted, which gives them a legal out if they make a mistake in the calculations.
I think sometimes they use it as an excuse to suck you into signing and then later ring and say they made a mistake and hope you will just say yes!!!!
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 AM   #7
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

so what was the price they quoted you?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
nobbystang

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
If you signed and paid your deposit & then said on 2nd thoughts no I will stick with my XD you would be liable correct?
DO they still have a cooling off period????

I'm very surprised you were unable to secure the car once contract was signed??

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Contract usually have a note that states that they are not valid until they have management sign off, to stop some salesman who can't add up selling an XR8 $6500 too cheap.

However, jump on the phone, ring a few of the bigger dealers and see if you can get your original deal or somthing like it and you will soon know if you are being worked over or not.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:45 PM   #10
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by myts
Contract usually have a note that states that they are not valid until they have management sign off, to stop some salesman who can't add up selling an XR8 $6500 too cheap.

However, jump on the phone, ring a few of the bigger dealers and see if you can get your original deal or somthing like it and you will soon know if you are being worked over or not.
As he said, you now have a written quote for the price. Go round the other dealers and ask them to match better it, even ring other cities and offer to fax the quote (after blanking the name of the stealer). You never know one of them might be short of food on the table for the kids or need that one more sale for the salesman of the year trophy.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 07:28 PM   #11
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A contract is worth nothing? Another bit of tripe to protect the big dealers. If it was the other way around the story would be different. Consumer Affiars / Fair trading are worth what they cost, bugger all, should have got a real lawyer.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:24 PM   #12
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper
Contracts are written by the companies to protect the companies. Gee, 6500 bucks under price I would have signed without thinking about it.
I'd be taking the contract to other dealers to see how close they can get - should be able to get a good deal on an XR8 now, especially after Easter fuel prices start dealers leaving big dark marks on the ground behind them. Try a rural dealer too they need the sales.... a lot
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you go to another dealer and pick up your new ute, I'd be at a signwriter get a sticker made up for the rear window talking about the raw deal, then go park the ute out front of the dealership while you go to a restraunt for a nice long sit down meal. :

Well no i wouldn't do that, but it would be a bit of fun. Anyway, they will miss out on a deal, so if you go past show the salesman your nice shiney new ute, sure the'll get the message.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 05:38 PM   #14
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

Problem is getting a real lawyer and fighting it would cost more then 6500.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:35 PM   #15
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Nope there is a cooling off period. I cancelled an XR6T the day after signing the contracts.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #16
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant
Problem is getting a real lawyer and fighting it would cost more then 6500.
about $250 an hour plus GST
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #17
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Be sure to let us know the final outcome..