Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-03-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
ELLIOT

Default Convert Barra 182 to Barra 190 Can Do ?

The Barra 190 engine has some NVH refinemants but the main thing is the Dual Independent Variable Camshaft timeing system.

The biggest gains are 8kw more power but even more significant is the max tourque, it occurs 750 rpm earlier at 2500 rpm.

I have been wondering if it's possible to retrofit a Barra 182 to 190 by somehow getting the cams to become more willing.

Is this possible ?

ELLIOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just get an edit done - you may be able to dial up more torque at lower revs that way.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #3
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose you could get hold of some BF cams and tune the ECU to suit. I may be wrong though, so please don't flame me Lol. Even if this were feasible it probably wouldn't be the cheapest way to gain 8kw and 3Nm. Just get an aftermarket extractor/exhaust mod done and you'll be approaching 200kw. Cheers.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say the outlay wouldn't be worth the benefit. 8kw and 3nm just doesn't seem worth it when you're almost guarenteed more gain with aftermarket mods.

I'm not so clued up in these engines but logic says that you would be better off with the mods as suggested by 3. Plus you wouldnt have to touch your engine
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

This info taken from the Press Release about the changes to the barra 190 may help

Quote:
Barra 190

BARRA 190 UPGRADES
Dual independent VCT
10.3:1 compression ratio
Revised camshaft profile
Dual knock sensors with individual spark control
Lighter driveplate
Low viscosity oil
Euro III emissions
Transient rpm limit
Improved NVH
Improved fuel economy
190 kW @ 5250 rpm1
383 Nm @ 2500 rpm

The new Barra 190 spearheads the engine range, building on the strengths of the DOHC in-line six first seen in the BA Falcon released in 2002.

The Barra 190 adds to that critically acclaimed engine with a superb combination of power, torque, refinement and fuel economy.

“The changes implemented in the program mean the Barra 190 is the best in-line six cylinder engine Ford Australia has produced and one that ranks with the best I6 engines in the world,” Engine Design Supervisor Colin Reddington said.

“With the Barra 190, customers will have access to the inherent smoothness only an in-line six can provide with an abundance of torque, the refinement of a state of the art double overhead camshaft design and greatly improved levels of fuel economy.

“The Barra 190 really has everything in terms of technology and features: double overhead cams, 24 valves, increased compression ratio for a more fuel efficient burn, dual independent variable camshaft timing. It's got all the features you’d want in a top of the line engine,” he said.

Reddington said the engine team was excited by the possibilities brought about by the inclusion of the latest generation dual independent variable camshaft timing.

“We had twin VCT phasers in the BA Falcon, which was an excellent platform for this program. In the Barra 190 each phaser can rotate each camshaft independently to maximize power, torque and fuel economy.”

Dual independent VCT delivers a significant low speed torque enhancement and sustains it throughout the engine speed range.

“In addition to the improved performance across a broad rev range, there is a noticeable decrease in fuel consumption, especially at part throttle.

“At cruise on the highway, where throttle openings are reduced, the system is able to retard the timing by as much as 50 degrees.

“The VCT phasers also retard the camshaft angle at part throttle loads and advance the angle for higher loads, or under wide open throttle applications.

“This optimises the cam timing for the range of engine conditions enabling maximum low speed torque and best high rpm power.

“This cuts fuel consumption as well as providing internal exhaust gas recirculation that helps lower tailpipe emissions,” he said.

At idle, the intake camshaft is retarded by 18 degrees for improved combustion stability providing smoother running.

“Traditionally, four-valve engines demonstrate a strong top end but can suffer from a weak bottom end. Thanks to the dual independent VCT system and a well proven variable intake system the new engine provides purposeful torque from very low revs.”

He said the transition through the advance/retard range was seamless, unlike some less advanced systems where there is a noticeable switch point.

The amount of adjustment is determined by comparing the position of the camshaft with a pre-mapped calibration.

Each camshaft on the I6 engine is fitted with a camshaft phaser that allows up to 60-degrees of variation, depending on engine load and speed.

"From the pin-lock position we are able to advance 10 degrees and retard up to 50 degrees. The variation is achieved via oil-pressure acting against the phaser," Reddington said.

An oil control valve directing oil pressure to each cam phaser is located to provide an immediate and reliable response. Both control valves are activated simultaneously by impulses received from the Powertrain Control Module.

Mounting the oil control valve within the cylinder head assembly removes the need for separate oil ways and offers greater durability and reliability, as well as packaging efficiencies and weight savings.

To ensure perfect seating of the camshafts, four oil control galley plates are bolted to the top of the cylinder head before the galleys for the camshafts are bored. The front two house the oil control valves.

Each of the four galley plates is unique so they cannot be mismatched during in-field service. The galley plates locate on dowels sunk into the head for perfect positioning every time.

“What it means for the customer is instant power when you need it, combined with a noticeable improvement in fuel economy.”

Compression ratio increase / Dual knock sensors

Adding a second knock sensor to all I6 engines enabled engineers to deliver fuel economy benefits by taking advantage of an increased compression ratio.

The upgraded I6 engine features an increased compression ratio for improved power and better fuel economy.

“The new pistons feature a revised crown profile, which delivers a compression ratio increase from 9.7:1 to 10.3:1 on the base I6 petrol engine.

"The pistons are also stiffer and feature a new pin bore which improves refinement, while retaining the high durability levels Ford engines are renowned for," said Reddington.

“Dual knock sensors provided the foundation for a strategy change which enables the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) to optimise the ignition timing for each individual cylinder.

“This has resulted in improved engine performance via more accurate spark control, improvements in fuel economy and improved levels of powertrain refinement.”

Reddington explained four modes of spark control were employed in the engine programme.

1/ Figures measured in DIN
Individual / averaged spark correction is a performance mode which uses 50 per cent of the individual cylinder correction and 50 per cent of engine average spark correction. This gives a more consistent performance for a fast revving engine under heavy loads.

“Individual fast only spark correction reacts to detonation noise and retards the spark for the next firing event on the same cylinder. This mode provides optimum fuel efficiency because spark is only retarded when detonation is ‘heard’ by the system.

“Individual slow / fast spark correction is applied in addition to the fast only mode. Slow correction remembers the spark advance used on previous events and is slowly removed if knock is not detected for a few seconds, adding to the refinement levels of the engine.

“The fourth mode is no spark correction, used at low engine loads where detonation is not possible. As a result, no spark correction is applied and the engine runs at the optimum spark timing.”

While the engine is calibrated to deliver benefits for all types of petrol users, Reddington said the addition of a second knock sensor meant customers could obtain further performance and economy benefits from using premium unleaded fuel (95 RON).

Ignition system

All Ford I6 engines in the programme – Barra 190, Barra 245T and Barra E-Gas – include an ignition system featuring adaptive and variable dwell enabling more efficient ignition control across the speed / load range.

“Adaptive dwell takes account of the battery voltage and temperature of the coil windings in the ignition system, ensuring a reliable, repeatable charge.

“The variable dwell delivers maximum coil energy when required voltage is high – under heavy acceleration for example – and minimum coil energy when the engine is cruising, or at idle.”

Reddington said the I6 engines also featured the latest in spark plug technology.

“Spark plugs in all I6 engines now have a 0.5mm finewire centre electrode – the smallest available –and platinum pad ground electrodes.

“They have been optimised for idle stability and help prevent misfire at high time in service in every one of the I6 engine line-up.”

Camshafts

Reddington said every I6 engine in the programme had benefited from revised camshafts.

“The profiles have been specifically selected to work with the dual independent VCT strategy and provide optimum performance for customers.

“We worked closely with powertrain engineers in Ford US, who helped with advanced CAE techniques to define the optimum cam durations. From this we devised specific profiles for compatibility with our valvetrain.

“Those CAE models also helped us further refine the engine strategy.”

Reddington said exhaust duration on the Barra 190 was 256 degrees (246 at BA) and inlet duration also 256 degrees (251 at BA).

“These new camshaft profiles will benefit the customer in terms of cleaner, smoother power delivery and increased fuel economy.”

Refinement / economy

Reddington explained two key factors driving the engine upgrades were to improve refinement and fuel economy.

“We have incorporated a number of measures which specifically target those key areas.”

The Barra 190 will use a new lower viscosity engine oil, changing from a 10W30 GF2 to a new 5W30 GF3 for less friction and improved fuel economy, particularly at lower engine operating temperatures.

The I6 air intake system has been significantly revised resulting in lower overall noise levels, as well as a purer engine tone during acceleration.

Power steering pumps have been revised by optimising fluid flow discharge timing, further improving the refinement levels of the I6 engines.

“We have also incorporated a new ‘smart’ alternator on all I6 engines, which ramps voltage changes smoothly, making a smoother idle easier to control.

“Another new feature is a lighter driveplate assembly, with the ring gear welded to the driveplate – rather than riveted – to further reduce weight and help improve fuel economy."

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #6
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

It would cost you a fair bit for just some small gains, do the extractors/exhaust, intake and a tune and you will have a barra 200+. Or put on a blower or snail and you'd have a barra 250ish.

I will also enter any part of the Forum I wish to enter. :
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #7
locote
Starter Motor

Sounds like its totaly different motor after reading all that...
Whats the most power/torque u can get out of these motors with out F/I????
Old 11-03-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by locote
Sounds like its totaly different motor after reading all that...
Whats the most power/torque u can get out of these motors with out F/I????
NIZPRO makes a 270kW @ fly N/A 4.0L BA I6. That's the best I know of. If there are better though... well.

I want to see a 100hp/litre BA I6. 400hp N/A. I have no doubts it can be done. That's 299kW in the new money, only 29kW more then that Nizpro engine has.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The engine physically is pretty much the same for BA-BF, the PCM has a different hardware level to operate the VCT's independantly, of course if anyone was to explore the option of upgrading they will have to remeber that BF is euro III and runs an extra O2 sensor so they will have to consider the wiring loom upgrade, extra O2 sensor, exhaust mod and any other bits and pieces needed that will make it work.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

As everyone else has mentioned, whack on a good extractor/exhaust combo, intake, underdrives and edit and you'll be putting out at least 160kW at the wheels.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Don't worry about it, I've driven BA and BF XT's and I couldn't tell a difference or improvement, they both seemed the same.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:08 PM   #12
SavageF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the 182-to-190 conversion definately fails the cost vs benefit test. Go the mods as the others have said.
SavageF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

your such a homo elliot
Old 12-03-2007, 01:37 AM   #14
Gaz
Got Ghia?

stock it might not be worth it.

but what would the possibilities be when modding? and edit making use of dual independent VCT?
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 02:34 AM   #15
Bobman
Regulator

The BF Oil Filter is also smaller than the BA type

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)