Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-01-2007, 03:08 AM   #1
holmsy
Banned

Default your thoughts on this car

just looking to get me my first car.
just woundering what you guys think of this car for price wise etc.

Vehicle 1989 FORD FAIRMONT EA
Price $1,950
Kilometres 291,000
Body 4 door 5 seat SEDAN
Colour white
Interior Colour grey
Transmission 3 speed Automatic
Drive type Rear
Engine 6 cylinder U Injected 3.9L (3949cc)
Reg Plate EXW 744
Reg Expiry SEP-2007
Road Worthy Certificate Yes
Vehicle ID 3838554
Brief Comments Top condition,XR16 inch alloys,tint,towbar,sports exhust,pioneer cd system,6x9inch rear speakers.
Long Comments car has had a reco motor 80,000 kms ago,head gasket repaired 25,000kms ago,very neat & tidy am selling as have purhased newer car.must sell need the room.

is it worth getting an ea. i have allways been kind of hesitant with the ea's and aimed for an eb or higher but it does look in great condition body and interior wise.
is there anything i should really look at that might have been a problem with ea's?

thanks guys.

move this if it is not the right place to post.

holmsy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 03:14 AM   #2
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Sounds all right to me. First things you should do is get it lowered and then drop a manual in it!
Old 18-01-2007, 03:28 AM   #3
LUXO_8
windsor user

theres nothing wrong with a good condition EA... i loved my EA and it gave me no trouble - to the point where i'll be getting another soon

if you're going for an auto, get a 4 speed auto version, but otherwise, if its in good condition and has been maintained well, theres no reason you shouldnt buy it

i'd rather a good condition EA to a flogged out EB anyday
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmsy
Vehicle 1989 FORD FAIRMONT EA
Price $1,950
Kilometres 291,000
Body 4 door 5 seat SEDAN
Colour white
Interior Colour grey
Transmission 3 speed Automatic
Drive type Rear
Engine 6 cylinder U Injected 3.9L (3949cc)
Reg Plate EXW 744
Reg Expiry SEP-2007
Road Worthy Certificate Yes
Vehicle ID 3838554
Brief Comments Top condition,XR16 inch alloys,tint,towbar,sports exhust,pioneer cd system,6x9inch rear speakers.
Long Comments car has had a reco motor 80,000 kms ago,head gasket repaired 25,000kms ago,very neat & tidy am selling as have purhased newer car.must sell need the room.
Keep in mind it's age and klms. So it could be needing a reco trans or diff too. People often neglect these. Other than that, it's a good first car.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
holmsy
Banned

i probably wouldent want a manual. sure its fun and feel good to drive but i get lazy sometimes and cant be stuffed with gears.
is it hard or expensive to chuck a 4 speed in? it would go straight in yeh?
also anyone happen to know where to get the old cop car chip for the ea's?
we had an ex ea cop car years ago and it was nuts untill we took it for a service and they said we wernt allowed the chip and took it out. it ran like a dog ever since.
also what is u injected? sorry im not up on these things.
Old 18-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #6
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i probably wouldent want a manual. sure its fun and feel good to drive but i get lazy sometimes and cant be stuffed with gears.
is it hard or expensive to chuck a 4 speed in? it would go straight in yeh?
also anyone happen to know where to get the old cop car chip for the ea's?
we had an ex ea cop car years ago and it was nuts untill we took it for a service and they said we wernt allowed the chip and took it out. it ran like a dog ever since.
also what is u injected? sorry im not up on these things.

i'm the opposite to you. every falcon i have seen that i liked is auto and i really want a manual. but if it came down to getting an auto i would be prepared to get one as long as it is the 4 speed box. i'm not so sure about how much it would cost to put a 4 speed in, i would think you are better off finding one with a 4 speed. it would only be a few extra hundred bux.

it's your first car and i was the same. i wanted a big falcon because i hate being cramped up in my mates small cars but with all these new laws it doesnt matter because after 11pm you can only have one passenger. the falcon is going to chew much more fuel then any laser would too. at the end of the day it's your choice but is there really a need for a larger vehicle?
Old 18-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Really dont buy a 3 speed auto EA, you cant do much as far as a diff upgrade goes and would then need a manual or 4 speed auto and thats a bit of effort for conversion. The 4 speed auto needs custom brackets to fit a 3 speed EA.

I have never heard of a police chip for the EA, and with a 3 speed auto the chip would not do a hell of alot.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
holmsy
Banned

yeh i basically hate small cars. i like my large cars. petrol isnt a great issue.
and we dont have restrictions like that on us here i can drive with who and when ever i like.

unfortunatly this car is a no go. been told byt he man with the money it is way to many km's we want something 100-200 thou k's
so back on the search.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Sounds like its had a hard life if it needed a reco motor at 210,000k's!

Good cars are out there, I dont know what your budget is, but I picked up and ED Gli with 67,000k's for under $4,000

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #10
holmsy
Banned

budget is around 2 grand.
so it limits my options a fair bit.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:14 AM   #11
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

If it is only around 2k, then forget about trying to find a car that has mags/lowered/exhaust ect... focus on finding a solid low k car... even if its a base model.

Once you have the car, you can then fit Ghia interiors and all the other good bits later down the track when you have the $$$ to do so.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I bought my GHIA 3 odd years ago for $3,000 was stock when I got it though.

If i had to buy again today, I would buy another GHIA, but get a 4 speed auto straight off, possibly only consider EBII with smartlock, although once you get into EBII's a Fairmont is almost as good as the GHIA anyway.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #13
holmsy
Banned

yeh i dont expect anything that looks or goes hard. i just need something that isnt gana die and doesnt look like a complete peice of crap
Old 18-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #14
eb falcon gl
75th anniversary

i paid 200 dollars for my eb gl 4 weeks ago stock as a rock runs real well for a cfi manual and great interior
Old 18-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #15
Walkinshaw
Two > One

How much highway cruising will you do? If its next to 0, a 3speed auto will be ok. Pick it up and bolt in a 3.23:1 from an EA 2 MPFI auto. This will make it a MUCH nicer car to drive.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 01:06 PM   #16
holmsy
Banned

in general i have allways been hesitant with the ea's and especially 3 speed anythings but i dont think i will notice alot of difference no matter what i get as long as it goes. im sure ill be back on saturday when the paper comes out askin more questions about more cars so look forward to it guys :Reverend:
Old 18-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #17
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Auctions is another option, my mate just went and picked himself up a 96 EF futura with factory alloys for 3grand. Looks to be a very clean example aswell, bar a small dent in the drivers quarter. I'm sure "the man with the money" will consider spending an extra $1000 or so to get an EF over an EA.

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
holmsy
Banned

which auctions was that at? only ones iv seen are generally newer cars around 10 grand and up
Old 18-01-2007, 02:43 PM   #19
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Quote:
which auctions was that at? only ones iv seen are generally newer cars around 10 grand and up
He went to fowels from memory, heaps of cars there in all price ranges

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #20
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

looks like a good ea being the motor was reco'd 80,000 kays ago, and so long as the headgasket was done 25,000k ago then you should be sweet as, thats the real kick in the *** when they need to be done.
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #21
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
theres nothing wrong with a good condition EA... i loved my EA and it gave me no trouble - to the point where i'll be getting another soon

if you're going for an auto, get a 4 speed auto version, but otherwise, if its in good condition and has been maintained well, theres no reason you shouldnt buy it

i'd rather a good condition EA to a flogged out EB anyday
Mate thats a good call There is absolutely nothing wrong with the EA series falcon no matter what people say about them.
Old 18-01-2007, 11:23 PM   #22
tommo74
zx TT

I just bought a da ltd with the 3.9 and she is the dogs nuts...anyway..these cars are easy to fix and cheap on parts!go for it dude...sounds like a good buy!
Now i own a 300zx twin turbo also...and believe me whatever u guys pay...its NUTHIN on this stupid thing!,.lol
tommo74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #23
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

See what happens when you buy japanese cars !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 19-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #24
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

As long as it's got RWC, plenty of rego, and is clean - it sounds like an ok buy.

However it must be said, that if you are patient you will buy better for your 2k - genuine bargains do pop up, and don't rule out the auctions provided you have someone with you who knows what they are looking at.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #25
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i got a ea wagon on gas 3 months rego 12 sloters manual rebuilt motor 70,000kms ago total of 323,000km has a lsd 245 rears for $400 but its cpi
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2007, 07:23 PM   #26
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im gunna go fowlers auctions when too i get some money saved up. my girl friend's dad does the security there so i might go with him, who knows?. i've saved up $550 buks after 2 pay checks, blew alot of money on christmas breaks and the pressies. sorry for hyjacking your thread but if anyone knows about a car forsale from $500 -$1500 in good condition and still has rego please contact me guys. anycar will do. from a laser to a 4wd lol. goodluck too holmsy.
Old 20-01-2007, 09:35 AM   #27
eb falcon gl
75th anniversary

sorry wrong window
Old 20-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #28
futura97
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

i'd be a bit dodgy on it....

rebuild 80,000km ago and the headgasket done 25,000km ago. Its either had a hard life or the rebuild was done very dodgy. Makes you think about the rest of the engine and if it got put together properly... I would have thought a headgasket would last more than 55,000km
futura97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #29
holmsy
Banned

yeh the rebuild held us back a bit. iv found a nice cheap roadworthy and regd ea spac that i wouldent mind but its on the other side of melb so a good few hour drive. looks like i might be goin for a nice annoying drive to melb soon :

hi jack away ford boy. if you are happy with a reg'd car but not exactly road worthy there is literally hundreds around i have found tones but i dont want to have to get rwc and everything.