Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #31
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although my opinion isn't quite as extreme as kiwikid's, I can see where he's coming from. To me 4WDs are an annoyance and there is absolutely no need for 99% of the drivers to be driving them, but ah well what can you do? I would be extremely happy to see laws brought in to restrict 4WDs to people that have a genuine reason to own one, whether it be towing, working in the bush or whatever. I know this will never happen but wouldn't it be nice?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #32
pauly85
commodore bogan

i dont think that would be nice at all

i wrote off my car from hitting a 4WD, if it was a normal sized car there wouldnt have been half of the damage, but big deal, they are on the roads so just keep your eyes open, and find something better to do with your time than complain about something that is NEVER going to change

XR-Envi, that sucks man, but hey, atleast it didnt rip the mirror off!
pauly85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 04:49 PM   #33
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Most these days AREN'T designed to go off road.

Ohh really then whats the purpose of buying one
I bloody hate 4WD owners that decide to fit big fu$% off roos bars & keep the things on the bitumen.

e
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #34
RUQ1KA
Formerly mad_ed_wagon

XR-envi :that really sucks, hopefuly it will get fixed up and lookin great asap

gotta be jucky the 4wd didnt come 30cm closer...

Build thread coming soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerCordia
I had two cordias but recently i sold one of them so that leaves me with one cordia which i have now but i wouldve had two if i havent sold the other one.
RUQ1KA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #35
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Ohh really then whats the purpose of buying one
****ed if I know. Seating, towing and more room and convinencies over a wagon I guess (like Territory v Falcon wagon).

Ground clearance aside, I'll be confident in getting my rwd with LSD sedan as far into a rocky track than a RAV4, Territory or whatever. It'll just take a bit more caution and time.

Quote:
there is absolutely no need for 99% of the drivers to be driving them
How do you figure that out? You got some numbers to back that up?
You do know not everyone can afford a different car for each occasion, don't you?

Quote:
Gotta agree with ya there smoo (cool name there mate, but is the pet name i call my missus
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2005, 08:51 PM   #36
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

JUST to join the 4wd debate regarding size whats the go with the territory, they come in 4wd and 2wd. so its got the size but not the off road capablility so does it fall into the catergory of the "toorak trACTOR"?
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 01:36 PM   #37
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-ENVI
watch out they may start bagging harley riders now!! ing_sm _2: _2:
Anyone game?

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #38
Cheech
HELL YES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
Although my opinion isn't quite as extreme as kiwikid's, I can see where he's coming from. To me 4WDs are an annoyance and there is absolutely no need for 99% of the drivers to be driving them, but ah well what can you do? I would be extremely happy to see laws brought in to restrict 4WDs to people that have a genuine reason to own one, whether it be towing, working in the bush or whatever. I know this will never happen but wouldn't it be nice?
I'll quantify myself first... I drive a Terri and I love it.

99% of drivers don't need a V8....... But some people buy them and love them and good luck to them.

Lets ban people movers as well.... they also make visibility a problem at intersections and pedestrian crossings. (sarcasm just in case anyone gets the wrong idea). They also have a high centre of gravity.

All cars have pros & cons and it comes down to personal choice - a cornerstone of our society.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 04:58 PM   #39
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

All sorts of cars impair my vision, just my fault that my car's been lowered, I suppose.

XR-Envi, that's a bugger, I have a nice white scratch on my passenger door that needs a little panel beating and a touch up and will look good as new. Doesn't worry me yet, as soon as rust bubbles start appearing, well, different matter entirely.

Now, my stance on big 4WD. They aren't a nuisance when you need them to tow caravans, any other purpose other than off-road, a massive nuisance.

With my caravan point, the number of sedans and wagons I've seen towing caravans that basically have the tyres rubbing on the underside of the wheel arch is tremendous. I call that abuse. Engine revs more causing quicker wear and you are wearing out suspension and tyres too. That's the only reason I can see that you'd use a 4WD on the road, for towing them big b*st*rds behind you.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:12 PM   #40
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_XLS_Ute

With my caravan point, the number of sedans and wagons I've seen towing caravans that basically have the tyres rubbing on the underside of the wheel arch is tremendous. I call that abuse. Engine revs more causing quicker wear and you are wearing out suspension and tyres too. That's the only reason I can see that you'd use a 4WD on the road, for towing them big b*st*rds behind you.
i call that dickheads that dont know how to tow.

havent they ever heard of load leveling devices?? they can and do make the world of difference......

on towing, i get so peeved whenever i see someone towing, and their safety chains are dragging on the ground.... um, idiot!
you're supposed to cross them and attach them to the towbar so that if the trailer does happen to detach from the towhitch, the drawbar of the trailer can sit on the crossed chains and not dig into the road and flip the trailer........
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 06:26 PM   #41
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: Oh What Have I Started
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #42
LSD

Part of the reason 4WDs became so popular was due to the government tax breaks put on them. Those are in the process of being scrapped I believe which should hopefully pull them back into line with normal cars can causing the craze to pass. Hopefully. I doubt it'll happen though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious
want to know something funny, Pajero in spanish actually means '****er'....think about it :P
It's not a literal translation though as I understand it. It means "bird" or something but it's used in a similar fashion to words like "gay" or "faggot" in Western culture.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 PM   #43
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
on towing, i get so peeved whenever i see someone towing, and their safety chains are dragging on the ground.... um, idiot!
you're supposed to cross them and attach them to the towbar so that if the trailer does happen to detach from the towhitch, the drawbar of the trailer can sit on the crossed chains and not dig into the road and flip the trailer........
Yeah that really rips my nighty!! Idiots!! :togo:
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 06:59 PM   #44
kiwikid
have you seen my marbles?

(puts calm & collect hat on)

could be worse, what if we had f650's?

i know people cant always afford two cars, if you use it for towing, work, going bush etc, i have no problem with that.

and room, alot of cars have more room than 4WD's.

its just the people that have 4WD's coz "its big" or "i like it" and reasons of the like...
but im not going to have an argument with people that cant look at it in sombody elses point of view....

(somebody made reference to my name kiwikid this is the internet and by your attitude you might be the child - not that you care but it came to when i arrived at one of my first jobs wearing an all blacks jumper and being 20 odd years younger than eveybody else, to them i was the new "kid" and due to being a kiwi was dubbed kiwikid.. it was also carred on when i was winning jnrs at my local car club...)
Old 04-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #45
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-ENVI
this afternoon while minding my own business at red traffic lights a guy (or girl) came up beside my car to do a hasty right hand turned and hit my drivers side mirror leaving a small but annoying, pain in the a$$ scratch thats gonna cost about $80 bucks to fix. tried to catch up to them but it was too late by time the light had changed
very very ****ed off :
Cmon guys the above post is the topic of discussion! Be free to discuss the topic in general but leave the shots at others out of it

_2:
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post