Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2006, 09:23 PM   #1
bubbagump308
FALCON HELL!!!

Default VCT Vs Non-VCT???

Hey can anyone tell me if a VCT Head will bolt onto a standard AU2 Block? Is there any advantages? I can get a Head from an AU3 XR6, just want to know if it worth me getting it?

bubbagump308 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:36 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

pfft , Casper will brainwash you lol !!

I assume VCT would be Better , but thats alot of Farting around , wouldnt you need new Computers and CAI Plumbing ?

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:37 PM   #3
smiley

It should bolt straight on however wouldn't provide any benefit unless you were able to get the VCT working through the ECU somehow.
2.5" Redback, high flow cat, Pacemaker headers

178.3rwkw
15.18 @ 95.72 MPH
smiley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 09:42 PM   #4
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
pfft , Casper will brainwash you lol !!

I assume VCT would be Better , but thats alot of Farting around , wouldnt you need new Computers and CAI Plumbing ?
Thought So....

Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure why but VCT engine has got different engine mounts... not sure if that means there is a difference in the blocks as well?
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #6
Sapper
Back to the AU

What are you trying to achieve by bolting in a VCT head?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:16 PM   #7
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
What are you trying to achieve by bolting in a VCT head?
An Extra 1 RWKW

Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Not sure why but VCT engine has got different engine mounts... not sure if that means there is a difference in the blocks as well?
All the VCT gear is in the head. Why would they need a different block?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:48 AM   #9
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NFI but like I said they have different mounts
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Its an identical block and bottom end so yes, the VCT head would bolt straight on.
That said.. why would you want to do it? To make it even remotely worth while you would need a VCT ECU or something to trigger the VCT mechanism, along with all the wiring to get it done. Then you get stuck with a head that has had almost no development work done on it in the last 7 years and is only now beginning to get aftermarket cams and mods avaliable... at a premium cost.

Seriously, as I keep saying, unless the car came with VCT then the conversion has more bad points then good.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The VCT head will bolt up and should work fine. Without the VCT switch enabled in the ecu the would have the same power as a VCT engine peak 172rwkw.

The difference is the VCT solenoid advances the cam from 1200-3800rpm giving more mid range. it runs retsred for idle and for high rom power. This means the idle is crap without an ecu (XR6, Ghia) that compensates for this with a higher idle speed and differentr mixture.

Make sure you get the oil supply pipes for the VCT with the head and then a simple jaycar rpm switch can be built and installed to make it work wit the std ecu not having to know about it.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
Gianz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Its an identical block and bottom end so yes, the VCT head would bolt straight on.
That said.. why would you want to do it? To make it even remotely worth while you would need a VCT ECU or something to trigger the VCT mechanism, along with all the wiring to get it done. Then you get stuck with a head that has had almost no development work done on it in the last 7 years and is only now beginning to get aftermarket cams and mods avaliable... at a premium cost.

Seriously, as I keep saying, unless the car came with VCT then the conversion has more bad points then good.

Casper.... who do you know of that has done any development work for a vct head and cam? i have been looking around for months but am suspect of every performance shop i have talked to. i dont want to be the ginea pig, i want whats going to work with the vct operational. its not rocket science as variable cam timing has been around for many years. so why are tuners so affraid of it?
Gianz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianz
Casper.... who do you know of that has done any development work for a vct head and cam? i have been looking around for months but am suspect of every performance shop i have talked to. i dont want to be the ginea pig, i want whats going to work with the vct operational. its not rocket science as variable cam timing has been around for many years. so why are tuners so affraid of it?
G&D have been doing some development using my car however we have not got the head/cam past a design/concept stage yet (it all costs money). The VCT is not rocket science however it is also something that reacts very different to a std head, good and bad.
Sometime next year we should take concept to actual for the head and cam and we will see how it goes. My personal opinion is it will be a large step forward however only time will tell.
The good thing is that G&D have a lot of experiance in custom design for heads and cams so they have the knowledge to do this, its just me getting the funds to turn that knowledge into something that can be measured. Until then I would rather not speculate what the results would be as I simply dont know.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post