Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
Sapper
Back to the AU

Default What problems have you had with modifications?

Its a big world out there in the modification scene, and its a potentially risky business joining in. We all know that nothing is as much of a turn off as a car that doesn't do what its told so I think its time to set out a warning to new commers (like me) as to what will cause you problems.

This is not about bashing certain workshops, this is about talking FROM EXPERIENCE as to what modifications haven't worked on your car, or caused something else not to work on your car.

An example/template (okay, okay, this one's not from experience but its a gimmie), the $20 ebay resistor kits. Why doesn't it work? The ECU can learn around it. How do you fix it? Take it out and reset the ECU.

Lets keep responses concise and aviod post whoring. It'd be great to set this up as a way that someone can check they're not making an old mistake.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

i have a mystery exhaust leak, which i found after my exhaust got put on. we sealed up the join at the muffler/rear section. I've checked the flange, just today even, cant find it leaking there... so i dont know where its leaking hahaha back to the exhaust shop soon i guess lol
Old 07-12-2006, 06:44 PM   #3
JoesAu

Your cat could be on the wrong way.. mine was and it sounded like a leak but i couldnt find that leak until i saw the cat was pointing the wrong way
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoesAu
Your cat could be on the wrong way.. mine was and it sounded like a leak but i couldnt find that leak until i saw the cat was pointing the wrong way
standard cat. didnt get removed. only a cat back system

the leak becomes a whistle in the middle of the rev range. so im thinking its a pin hole.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
the leak becomes a whistle in the middle of the rev range. so im thinking its a pin hole.

you sure its not everyone flying past you thats causing the whistling noise? :
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #6
Faded_Mantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot xr6
An example/template (okay, okay, this one's not from experience but its a gimmie), the $20 ebay resistor kits. Why doesn't it work? The ECU can learn around it. How do you fix it? Take it out and reset the ECU.
Word of advice, DON'T USE THESE

Here is why.

Note: That's not the only source I have, I also own a Rover and most of the guys on that car's forum will tell you that they are no good (a couple from experiance)
Faded_Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
xr8ute
Back on the road

Crane bolt-on "Conical" valvesprings, part #44308-1.

They really are very good....until they break. That is when they really start to suck.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post