Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-11-2006, 12:27 AM   #1
Fairlane63
Fairlane

Default AU I goodyear tyres

What is with these ******* Goodyear tyres? I had them on a brand new Au I back in ' 99and they were Krap in the wet, downright dangerous! changed to something with grip after 15K km.
now I buy a Au with it's second set of tyres on it which are the bloody same gooyears. and absolutely DANGEROUS in tyhe wet.
should'nt these thin : gs have been recalled? surely this is a well knownfact and Goodyear or Ford should be held acountable for the life threatening danger?
they have changed to a silicon composition in the BA's and not a sign of this inherant disaster waiting to happen!
how can these tyres be still alowed on the road???

2006 TS Territory AWD
2016 Everest Trend 4WD
Fairlane63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 01:13 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I thought they came with Dunlop Monza 200s standard (15/16"). Perhaps they had some Dunlop and some Goodyear?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
Fairlane63
Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I thought they came with Dunlop Monza 200s standard (15/16"). Perhaps they had some Dunlop and some Goodyear?
I had a company Au Futura delivered new to me in 1999 with Badyear 15" tyres slippery as a solid steel train wheel.

2006 TS Territory AWD
2016 Everest Trend 4WD
Old 22-11-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galea
I had a company Au Futura delivered new to me in 1999 with Badyear 15" tyres slippery as a solid steel train wheel.
Go and fit some Falken ZIEX 326s and you'll know what slippery is! But if you're that worried about them, buy some better tyres. 15's/16s are only around $400 a set these days for something half decent. Your comfort and safety has to be worth that much, surely.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 03:00 AM   #5
LOWAU

Also if its a 15" wheel it most likly has 205 wide rubber on it, I changed it to 215 when I had the stockies on it. Much better then the goodyears that you are talking about. Maybe look into changing them to turanzas (spelling?) that the police use, they are 225 wide and don't flex when cornering and grip very well according to my brother.

JC- Maybe the S2 with the 16" steelies had Dunlops on them but I know the S1 had goodyear.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^i agree with the turanzas, i have them on my car, although they are 205/65 15's, but the treadwear rating on them is something like 120, not sure what the goodyears are...but i'm pretty sure the higher the number, the harder the tyre
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 09:53 AM   #7
MRJUCY
Fordless

Car companies have always fitted cheap & nasty tyres to at least the basic models it's not a unique thing to Ford or a recent occurrence just be thankful you don't have Nankangs or Linglongs etc then you'd know fear.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 12:16 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hmm interesting.

With the Cabs, we used to run Monoforms. (bead to bead retreads).

The AU1's (205/65/15) are downright dangerous.
The AUII's (215/60/16) are only mildly dangerous.
I have Dunlop Sport SP200E's on my AUII (215/60/16) and they seem pretty sticky. Even though they are worn, i have to push the car to break traction in the wet.
Old 22-11-2006, 02:05 PM   #9
HLC
Audi S3

i put 225 profile tyres on my AU2 stockies. grips heaps better. also running Fulda tyres which are great. but got stuff all tread on the rears, so just like anything its getting a little slippery
Old 22-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
au^dude
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had Dunlop Monza 200s on my AU1, they were shit. In the wet i went to overtake a car and my car started sliding sideways. Now i have just got some 235/40R18 i try to break traction by sliding and i cant.
au^dude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
Fairlane63
Fairlane

Thanks for the input team,
I have been told the compound of the Goodyear tyre that I had on the BA and was exceptionally happy with (NCT Goodyear) was silicone based. and that the 15" tyres still have old technology rubber. so I was going to buy NCT's but not now!
The car is dangerous in the wet and I will have to replace the tyres as I fear letting my fiancee driving it in the rain.
I STILL think Goodyear and or Ford should be accountable for putting lives in danger.

2006 TS Territory AWD
2016 Everest Trend 4WD
Old 22-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
Fairlane63
Fairlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^dude
I had Dunlop Monza 200s on my AU1, they were shit. In the wet i went to overtake a car and my car started sliding sideways. Now i have just got some 235/40R18 i try to break traction by sliding and i cant.
what brand?

2006 TS Territory AWD
2016 Everest Trend 4WD
Old 23-11-2006, 08:44 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Over the years the best grip tyres I have run are either Dunlop or Yokohama. But it comes down to different model of tyre, sizes ... and then also suspension setup as well.

From what I have heard in factory sizing the Dunlop SP200E's are meant to be pretty damn good.

I haven't tried much in the Bridgestone range (as they are usually bloody expensive for what they are) and nothing seems to be that outstanding either.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 08:52 AM   #14
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just something people may find interesting regarding how tyres are tested and what the treadwear, traction and temperature numbers mean http://www.toyo.com.au/tech_info4.html
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 09:57 PM   #15
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Goodyear Eagle GA plus was the tyre AU1 Futuras came with when new. These tyres were crap in the dry also.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 10:07 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Funnily enough my old Proton Satria came out with these from factory in 99 when I bought it new .... tell you what though ... they could really smoke up well.

Ooops
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2006, 10:44 PM   #17
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I've got the Goodyear Eco NCT's 215/55 series on the AU, can't say I have a grip issue. The BA I had, had the NCT's and they were scary, but the suspension was very soft. The suspension in the AU is very firm. Maybe that's the difference.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 12:47 AM   #18
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go buy some 265/35/r19s
Traction is great hehehe
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2006, 01:14 AM   #19
SVR73
Mr Polish

Or some 235/40/18 sonar, yokohama Advan Neova Extreme performance or Goodyear Eagle F1's (gotta choose which brand I go with soon)

I remember when I got the forte in sep 98, I made sure I ****ed off those stocky 15's and tyres. The monza's and badyears were absolutely deadly.
Worse than that were some security patrol AU's I used to clean.
They wore retreads. they were risking their lives with those.
Old 24-11-2006, 01:35 AM   #20
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

i drive with falkens... and yes... they do go in the wet... i love it :P
if i didnt have a lsd though i would be in a tree....
i like then cause they are cheep and have lasted 50,000 sofar

the "blueline" 17'' that we have fitted to the XR are great... cheep as chips $125 each and grip like nothing else in the wet..... but only last 30,000
Old 24-11-2006, 02:07 AM   #21
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galea
What is with these ******* Goodyear tyres? I had them on a brand new Au I back in ' 99and they were Krap in the wet, downright dangerous! changed to something with grip after 15K km.
now I buy a Au with it's second set of tyres on it which are the bloody same gooyears. and absolutely DANGEROUS in tyhe wet.
should'nt these thin : gs have been recalled? surely this is a well knownfact and Goodyear or Ford should be held acountable for the life threatening danger?
they have changed to a silicon composition in the BA's and not a sign of this inherant disaster waiting to happen!
how can these tyres be still alowed on the road???
I Learnt the lesson years ago goodyear are over priced & nasty. Value for money & good tyres try Hankook, Kuhmo or Falken. It is true as JC mentioned the Falken ziex 326 although great in the dry is crap in the wet , this is the reason they changed the pattern in the 329 range. The Ba's have dunlop 200e's. It all depends on budget.
Old 26-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #22
fairmont au
fairmont ghia au 2 wagon

we had good year ncts on our au 2 when we brought it they where brand new they didn't last 30, 000 kms. a good tyre though we had on the eb fairmont were bridgestone g-grids we put them on when we bought the car and we had the car nearly 10 years and that was the only set of tyres it had on it no retreads or nothing and when we sold it it was only just starting to become illeagal
fairmont au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 12:26 PM   #23
Abacus
Life's a Gas

G-grids in 15" are a great tyre. Had 225s on my EL - they stuck like the proverbial to a blanket.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post