Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-11-2006, 04:54 PM   #1
kennys

Default What shocks?

What shocks are you guys using with your super super low spriings? If any one has super super lows? Car is an AU2 Xr8

kennys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

I only have SL's but I use Monroe GT's. They are shortened struts and shocks, so Im pretty sure they would be the same for SSL's
Old 11-11-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
kennys

thanks, a few places have said i can and i can't use monroe gt's....
Old 11-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #4
The Monty
Just slidin'

I dont know why that would be. Runs great on mine, dead smooth on the freeway.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
kennys

yeah i think they were just trying to pull the wool over my eyes and flog me
some konis. Which of course are worth a tad bit more
Old 12-11-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
JoesAu

can u get a lower strut for the Au at the front?? pedders told me u cant and that my only option was ultralows or coiloverS what the??? i wanna get that extra 10mm lower out of the strut, dont wanna go ultralow there shocking ride.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
The Monty
Just slidin'

When the guy ordered mine up, he specifically said that they were shortened struts, and shocks. I go through JAX for my brakes and suspension, and tyres and stuff, always a great help, cheap, and they have a clean workshop.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:41 AM   #8
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

Lol, I was told if i didnt change my shocks aswell my rear springs would shoot out the side within a few weeks, had stock shocks for almost a year now need some pedders shocks tho.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Running standard height shocks in a decked car will just kill shocks quickly ... won't shoot out the side though ... LOL ... but they will leak and fail early though.

My next set of shocks that i am looking at getting are Bilsteins .... they cost more ... but in the end shocks make a hell of a difference in handling ... I have Pedders in at the moment ... and they are fine ... but i think I could find a little more control in better shocks.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
stiddy
Banned

Ive got Koni's at the moment, and they are great, handles beautifully.. but im going to upgrade to Whiteline sometime in the future, its not that high up the list.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
kennys

Yeah but the price difference between the monroes and the konis is incredible, iv'e been quoted $94 for the pair of monroes and $420 for the pair of konis.
I think i'm just going to go the monroes and find out for myself if they work or not.
Old 13-11-2006, 09:49 PM   #12
jossa
Best AU body kit - NONE

Monroe don't do shortened GT struts or shocks for AUs. In fact, if you fit them to a non factory lowered car the warranty is voided, though they will have great difficulty in proving this if you don't say anything if something does go wrong!!
In saying that, I have had them in my car with SSLs for over 10000km and they are as good as when I put them in!
jossa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #13
kennys

I've been told they do shortened shocks 4 SL's, just not SSL's, but another place says i can use these shocks with SSL's.....
Old 13-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
jossa
Best AU body kit - NONE

Monroe list three different shocks for AU II and III. AUI have different part number but the same structure as below.

Monroe GT Gas: suitable for standard suspension and FACTORY lowered suspension as in XR series. (I think the part numbers are 35 0447 for front x2, and 150202 for rear)

Monroe Sensatrac: have two different part numbers for both front and rear; one for standard suspension and one for FACTORY lowered suspension. The ones for factory lowered suspension are not shortened they are just valved differently as they firm up as the strut/shock is compressed. (I thick these are deleted anyway)
jossa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #15
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennys
Yeah but the price difference between the monroes and the konis is incredible, iv'e been quoted $94 for the pair of monroes and $420 for the pair of konis.
I think i'm just going to go the monroes and find out for myself if they work or not.

IMO Dont do the Monroes, it is worth it to go the little extra, you can go pedder sports rider or bilsteins for less than 420 a pair

the monroes are cheap for a reason, they are Ok for stoke suspension setups but IMO keep them off lowered cars

hey it just my opinion.
Old 14-11-2006, 12:21 AM   #16
fordAU

Used KYB's on a previous vehicle with super lows, a very good ride, firm but predictable, would go with KYB again.

Cheers.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #17
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennys
I payed the extra & got the Knois on my XR8 & love the handling i gain with them. Well you get what you pay for at the end of the day.
Old 14-11-2006, 01:44 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Ive got Koni's at the moment, and they are great, handles beautifully.. but im going to upgrade to Whiteline sometime in the future, its not that high up the list.
You're the first person I've ever heard refer to Koni to Whiteline as an upgrade!

I'd stick with the Konis. When they "go" (stop functioning), they are rebuildable - one of the reasons they cost just a little more than standard. Last time I got a rebuild done it was $120 per shock, but that was a few years ago now. Still cheaper than new, though.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #19
SVR73
Mr Polish

Default shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jossa
Monroe list three different shocks for AU II and III. AUI have different part number but the same structure as below.

Monroe GT Gas: suitable for standard suspension and FACTORY lowered suspension as in XR series. (I think the part numbers are 35 0447 for front x2, and 150202 for rear)

Monroe Sensatrac: have two different part numbers for both front and rear; one for standard suspension and one for FACTORY lowered suspension. The ones for factory lowered suspension are not shortened they are just valved differently as they firm up as the strut/shock is compressed. (I thick these are deleted anyway)
I've got the GT gas on the front of my XR. Had to replace the nackered ticky's which are monroe's anyway. Extremely happy with them but would like to try koni's one day.
Old 14-11-2006, 11:46 AM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Matey if you can streach your budget or hold off till you got the funds get the Koni's.
The Monroe's/Ticky ones are made to a budget.
The handling and ride is far better, last longer and as JC mentioned rebuildable.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 08:35 PM   #21
kennys

Thanks for the comments guys but does anyone know if the SSL springs will destroy the monroe gt gas shocks?

Or will they just give me a bad ride and not as good handling as the konis etc...
Old 15-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #22
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

They will destroy the shocks, and they will give you a worse ride, except if you like the car bouncing a lot, then it will be the ride you are looking for.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 09:32 PM   #23
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^in that case, just get hydraulic or air suspension, then it'll be fully sick lol
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2006, 09:48 PM   #24
kennys

hmmm looks like i'l have to organise a few more dollars then
Old 15-11-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
kennys

Are all koni shocks rebuildable? Has anyone had experience with pedders "extreme" shocks?