Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Where can I get a cheap hi-flow panel filter?

As the title suggests - Where can I get a cheap hi-flow panel filter? How much? Brand doesn't matter...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

K&N 85-100 dollars is the only one i would spend money on.
Old 13-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
xr8man83
Grunt Files

k&n for a au is more about $125 bucks now days i just priced them im in QLD though i got a splitfire performance filter for $99.95 at tintmasters the otherday and its the same as k&n as far as i can tell
xr8man83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

egay.
Old 13-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #5
xr8ute
Back on the road

Motorcraft paper airfilters flow plenty of air...cost about $8 :P

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #6
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wait till the next supercheap auto sale, im sure there will be one coming up for xmas.
Old 13-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I wanted one by Saturday for the CanberraCruises.com dyno day... just a high-flow for a few runs... I thought there was a cheap one... Redline? was it?

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 13-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #8
GTWHOA
Just cruisin

I think Redline are about $100 aswell. Just use no filter if your game
Old 13-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #9
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can get Redline one's here in Brisbane for $70 last time I checked at Lee's performance parts. He's always the cheapest, but I wouldn't pay more than $80 for a 'cheap' one. They all do the same thing as the K&N anyway, I'm thinking of getting one after exams.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2006, 09:50 PM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

are there any dyno days comin gup in melb or geelong?
it would be good to get some comparative figures back to back with a stock egas filter and a highflow filter for my factory lpg engine.
Old 14-11-2006, 02:02 AM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I wanted one by Saturday for the CanberraCruises.com dyno day... just a high-flow for a few runs... I thought there was a cheap one... Redline? was it?
Firstly, those guys (CanberraCruises) are a bunch of idiots. I had one overtake me on the Monaro the other night - I was doing a tad over 100, and there was another car overtaking me in the right lane, and he passed us both using the shoulder, doing around 160, and there was traffic in front of us and a roundabout looming. He made it, but what a tool (BMW M5). He was in a group of around 10 other cars, so was showing off, but if he had've killed me, I would've found a way to kill him back (from the grave)!! These tossers lose around one car per cruise because they are idiots.

Anyway, enough O/T stuff, I have run a pod, no box at all and a K&N panel on a dyno on the same day, and each run was within 1 kw of the others. The filter is not a restriction in the AU box, unless it's caked in mud. The only reason most get the K&N is that it is washable, so you never, ever need another filter again. It does flow more and produce a bit more intake noise, but honestly, the engine doesn't know what to do with the extra flow, so doesn't really make any more power. The only way to maximise the additional flow is with an edit.

I'd be happy to lend you a BA XR8 Pod setup with 3" intake pipe to try back to back with standard airbox if you want - would only take around 20 seconds to swap them over for the dyno runs.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 10:13 AM   #12
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Firstly, those guys (CanberraCruises) are a bunch of idiots. I had one overtake me on the Monaro the other night - I was doing a tad over 100, and there was another car overtaking me in the right lane, and he passed us both using the shoulder, doing around 160, and there was traffic in front of us and a roundabout looming. He made it, but what a tool (BMW M5). He was in a group of around 10 other cars, so was showing off, but if he had've killed me, I would've found a way to kill him back (from the grave)!! These tossers lose around one car per cruise because they are idiots.

Anyway, enough O/T stuff, I have run a pod, no box at all and a K&N panel on a dyno on the same day, and each run was within 1 kw of the others. The filter is not a restriction in the AU box, unless it's caked in mud. The only reason most get the K&N is that it is washable, so you never, ever need another filter again. It does flow more and produce a bit more intake noise, but honestly, the engine doesn't know what to do with the extra flow, so doesn't really make any more power. The only way to maximise the additional flow is with an edit.

I'd be happy to lend you a BA XR8 Pod setup with 3" intake pipe to try back to back with standard airbox if you want - would only take around 20 seconds to swap them over for the dyno runs.
Ok - cheers for that info... I might just get a new repco filter then - mine needs replacing anyway - and btw... one idiot on the roads does not reflect a whole group and or club...

Old 14-11-2006, 10:39 AM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
... one idiot on the roads does not reflect a whole group and or club...
if they lose around one car per cruise, i think that is a reflection on the whole club.
Old 14-11-2006, 10:42 AM   #14
pecker73
Falcon Addict

Quote:
As the title suggests - Where can I get a cheap hi-flow panel filter? How much? Brand doesn't matter...

Seen the K & N's for the AU on Ebay.. Starting as low as $80 !

DAILY-2006 BF Falcon XR6 Turbo Sedan. 6 Speed Auto.

1/4 Mile......13.84sec/103.38Mph BF XR6T with an official 211.0 rwkw :
pecker73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
and btw... one idiot on the roads does not reflect a whole group and or club...
That's true, excdept that the whole group were driving like that, just not as extreme as undertaking on the shoulder! But intentionally blocking 2 lanes of traffic etc is stupidity and downright rudeness and lack of consideration for other road users.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post