Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-11-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
lil au3
Starter Motor

Default AU 3 Possible Transmision Problem?

Hi, I recently bought an auto AU3 forte with 92000 kms. The car seems fine, passed its RWC no problem but it has anoying 'clunk' noticable when you pull up at the lights. Seems to be when going from 2nd back into 1st. It also seems clunky going from R to D, and D to R. The upshifts see to be fine.

Is this likely to be gearbox problem or a diff problem or something else. Any help would be appreciated.

lil au3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

My AU2 Auto Does this and Ford Said it is nothing to worry about ,

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the clunking coming from the gearbox, the tailshaft or the diff?? it could be a numerous amount of things. where exactly is the sound coming from??

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
keenaz
Starter Motor

yeah mines the same and when i took it to the mechanic he couldnt find anything wrong.. beats me why it does it
keenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

could be a worn trans mount,,,, if the gearbox had leaked at some stage the oil gts absorbed by the rubber

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #6
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

A very common problem with alot of cars , usually its just slack/worn uni-joints on the tailshaft , or slack in the diff / or both , nothing to worry about unless it becomes really bad. cheers

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #7
lil au3
Starter Motor

It's bad enough to annoy me. My dads EL has done 230 000kms, having had nothing in the drive train replaced, and doesn't do that.

It feels like it's coming from the gearbox but I guess that could be a bit deceptive? As the up shifts are so good however it doesn't feel like a worn out gearbox?

The clunk coming from doing the reverse to drive, drive to reverse thing I suppose could be any part of the drive line that is worn out.

I'm keen to get it sorted as apart from that it's a very nice car to drive.
lil au3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would put money its a bit of backlash in the the diff and nothing to worry about.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil au3
Hi, I recently bought an auto AU3 forte with 92000 kms. The car seems fine, passed its RWC no problem but it has anoying 'clunk' noticable when you pull up at the lights. Seems to be when going from 2nd back into 1st. It also seems clunky going from R to D, and D to R. The upshifts see to be fine.

Is this likely to be gearbox problem or a diff problem or something else. Any help would be appreciated.

I have this in mine, box has done 85,000 kays!

I find that mine does it, when I've gone through a roundabout or around a corner in 2nd off or on light throttle, and then reapply throttle. If I'm gentle it does it less. Really annoying!

Is this sort of what you have also?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have this clunk in my XR6 and I hear it often when other AU's pull up at the lights next to me. If you shift it into neutral just before you stop at traffic lights it won't clunk. I had the BTR/ION rep test drive mine and he said mine was borderline on OK so I had to wear it. It seems to be worse during the warmer months. 65000 k's and the trans still seems OK. I will be fitting a trans cooler and hopefully with cooler trans fluid less clunk.
Cheers

Bill.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:14 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i wonder if this can be rectified by adjusting the kickdown to act at a lower speed, the older cars the kickdown could be adjusted by linkage or cable, i can remember farting around with mine when it was adjusted tightly it would kickdown into first quite agressively, obviousley this would be done electonicly these days perhaps some of the tune up guys might be able to adjust it with flash tuner or flash tune
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post