Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-11-2021, 11:55 AM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Lights

I do shift work and so travel at night every day. Without fail, I would see at least 1-2 cars every day driving without lights. This is something that seems to be on the rise especially now with most cars having DRL's because it can appear the lights are actually on.

I believe this first started becoming an issue with dash lights were no longer connected to driving lights. Once upon a time, you had to have your lights on to illuminate the dash. That meant that it became pretty obvious pretty quick to the driver if the lights weren't on. These day, dash lights come on with ignition, so at night, your dash is all fully lit up so there is no obvious signal to turn your lights on.

To me though, its just more evidence that many drivers just aren't focussed on just simply driving/operating the car anymore. Too many distractions.

Another bugbear of mine regarding lights, is AUTO lights and why people don't use them when the car clearly has them. I really can't see why people don't like using their lights. Lights are just as much about being seen as it is about being able to see. My folks used to not use auto lights because they didn't like them coming on when entering underground parking etc. I explained they turn off automatically when locking the car so its fine. It's not like you are wasting batteries etc like when using a torch.

As an aside, I notice with the new escape, the default light position is auto. Great move by Ford. Other makes may do it as well. I certainly hope so. Even if you move it, it defaults back to auto when ignition is reset. Another great move by Ford (and hopefully others) is the lights come on when you activate your wipers. The amount of people i see driving in inclement weather without lights is astounding.

Another bugbear, and hopefully one that will eventually be improved, is why DRL's are only operational on the front of a vehicle. At least if they are on the back as well, when drivers forget to turn lights on, the back of the car will also be illuminated. After all, that is essentially why DRL's exist. The inability of drivers remembering to turn on lights, or recognising when lights need to be used. Volvo were well ahead of their time...