Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-10-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Lightbulb Ford: Pontiac G8 failure spooked us

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577B200059E9A

Quote:
FORD admits that the failure of Holden’s VE Commodore-based Pontiac G8 in North America has been a psychological setback in the export of large rear-wheel drive sedans from Australia, as well as a lesson to be heeded in the future.

Speaking anonymously to GoAuto at the Paris show on September 30, a senior company executive revealed he was mystified that a car as impressive and critically acclaimed as the Pontiac G8 did not translate into sales.

“I was curiously surprised at how (the Pontiac) didn’t quite click in the US,” the Ford insider said.

“I was surprised because… it was such a great-looking car… and I thought it was just such a good idea.”

Asked if the Pontiac G8 experience is a setback for any future Falcon export opportunities to North America or any other overseas destination, the Ford man said it would certainly act as a warning not to be ignored.

“(Ford) does look at the whole picture – even though that was a very niche opportunity (for GM),” he said.

“You know (now-retired GM product manager and instigator of the G8 program) Bob Lutz normally had a great instinct for the right products for the right markets, and I am a Bob Lutz believer, so it’s just surprising that it didn’t click.

“But we will keep doing the right thing for (the development of the Falcon) in Australia because we have so many good people (at Broadmeadows).”

Built on the VE Commodore production line at Elizabeth in South Australia, Pontiac released the G8 in North America from December 2007, just as the global financial crisis was taking hold.

Only a little more than half of the 20,000 G8s expected to be sold in the first 12 months found homes, and by the beginning of 2009, with around 10,000 vehicles still sitting in holding yards across the US and GM’s Chapter 11 Bankruptcy looming, the G8 – along with Pontiac itself – was axed.

Along with the 3.6-litre High Feature V6 and 6.0-litre V8 sedan models, GM had planned to offer the G8 in ST utility guise, displaying a prototype at the 2008 New York International Auto Show, and there was even talk of Pontiac taking the Sportwagon variant.

Interestingly, the G8’s Holden Monaro-based GTO Coupe predecessor – another export from Elizabeth – also failed to meet initial volume expectations, although it did gain a stronger following to register more than 40,000 sales from 2004 to 2006.

Holden’s Zeta export program has since been revived with the recommencement of VE Commodore-based Chevrolet Omega sales to Brazil, while the WM Caprice-derived Police Pursuit Vehicle could be worth up to 60,000 exports annually for Holden starting from next year.
Interesting comments there. Whilst it would seem that all RWD roads will eventually lead to Rome, they won't at any cost.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

There was a number of stuff-ups with the G8 and the Pontiac GTO in the USA...

and sadly it didn't have much to do with the car...

it was all the logistics and poor marketing...
*(could sight numerous examples... if this thread fills out - i'll list them all)*
Old 04-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Salt into wound.....check

Its all old news, but hey its about time some Holden bashing was made more public.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Chopped
as in chopped

In other words - They failed so we won't even try !

I suppose it kept Ford Aus in profit but where is the big picture stuff.

(G6ET would be a revelation over there IMO)
Old 04-10-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

No exports doesnt mean no Falcons for the US though, and i think thats where Ford see a different approach to Holden.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #6
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People thought of Pontiac as a cheap brand. Cheaper than Chevy I think. So a $30k Pontiac wasn't going to happen. It may work as a Chevy, it may not. Would a new $30k Chevy Caprice be a success? I'm not sure, I'd be scared off the idea too. RWD 4 door sedans just isn't a fail free formula in the US that it is in Australia. People who want to tow, use pickups and SUVs, and sportscars are two door RWD coupes. I think people generally want their sedans to be fuel efficient, and be practical for winter driving. In Australia, your Falcadore is your daily sedan, sports car and tow vehicle all in one! haha.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

A case of the worst launch timing ever, GM never stood a chance with the G8 because the
Global Financial Crisis began in the USA all through 2008, claiming a lot of large financial
organizations and ultimately GM last year.

The G8 was a niche car and given any other economic climate it would have sold much
better, jobs and finance dried up so bad in every field that people were struggling to
keep their homes and cars were the last thing on their mind.

There probably is a case for Falcon in the USA provided that it and the Mustang share
drive train and electrical systems. The best time is probably straight after Holden gets its
ears boxed badly for a second time with the Caprice PPV.......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #8
Jeddak
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
People thought of Pontiac as a cheap brand. Cheaper than Chevy I think. So a $30k Pontiac wasn't going to happen. It may work as a Chevy, it may not. Would a new $30k Chevy Caprice be a success? I'm not sure, I'd be scared off the idea too. RWD 4 door sedans just isn't a fail free formula in the US that it is in Australia. People who want to tow, use pickups and SUVs, and sportscars are two door RWD coupes. I think people generally want their sedans to be fuel efficient, and be practical for winter driving. In Australia, your Falcadore is your daily sedan, sports car and tow vehicle all in one! haha.
Not so... Pontiac was more upmarket with Chevy the bottom brand.
it was Chevy,Pontiac ,Buick, Oldsmobile, Caddiliac.(with Buick and Olds the other way round maybe) Pontiac had the Judge and Firebird as hotties too dont forget
it is so though, that the market there is pickup driven ( look at the F truck)
and dont forget the ford capri...I believe if Ford US sold that little car as a Ford instead of a Mercury it would have done better ( Mercury is an" old guy "car brand and thus less tolerant of problems )

So I recon ( my opinion only of course) that GM US had only two choices
even though Olds and Buick had hotties at one time or another and that was Chevy or Pontiac . the market and the global money meltdown fixed that however
O5 / 05 SX TS RWD Winter White, Driving Lights, Flaps, Racks, Turbo Grille, Ghia Bumper Trims and tailgate chrome , Colour Coded Mirrors,Tint,h/d towbar and chrome tow ball ,Sy chrome Beltline molds , leather and chrome shifter and Ghia Leather bound steering wheel
Stainless steel number plate frames and shifter quadrant, leather arm rest
All reconditioned SZ front suspension now in place
Chrome door pull inserts with chrome inner latch handles done
Jeddak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeddak
Not so... Pontiac was more upmarket with Chevy the bottom brand.
Meh, I don't know anyone who thinks of Pontiac as "upmarket," I think of old Bonnevilles, Grand Ams - pieces of crap like that. Trans Ams and Firebirds are long gone.
Chevy - if it's a truck it's respected, otherwise just an ordinary car. Except people think the Camaro is pretty cool. I can totally see why GM is ditching Pontiac. But I don't know why they are keeping GMC.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower
Meh, I don't know anyone who thinks of Pontiac as "upmarket," I think of old Bonnevilles, Grand Ams - pieces of crap like that. Trans Ams and Firebirds are long gone.
Chevy - if it's a truck it's respected, otherwise just an ordinary car. Except people think the Camaro is pretty cool. I can totally see why GM is ditching Pontiac. But I don't know why they are keeping GMC.
Had the Calais and Caprice been sold as Buick Riveria (?) and Park Avenue,
they would have attracted a much more sympathetic group of buyers.

Once again, GM NA misread the market with G8 and Holden paid the price.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bloody hope Ford US, doesnt use the Pontiac G8 as an example, it was a very damaged brand used to selling to Barina (Aveo) copies at that stage. A US bound Falcon would sell up a storm in California and the mid west.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #12
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

One of the major failings of the Pontiac GTO was the fact that it was mostly Australian...
*Example* If they imported a car from the USA, and slapped GT-HO badges on it... would it be a sucess?? A car that has Australian heritage and bloodlines, now being imported from the states??? I think not... Same goes for the GTO...

Another thing was that the GTO coupe was released in the USA in 2006... The body design was first seen in Australia in 1999, and released in 2002... the car was already outdated the minute it rolled off the boat in the USA...

The G8 suffered the same fate... with the bad taste in the mouth of the USA buyers from the GTO... then we (aussies) try again??? I don't think it was the pricepoint that made the car not desirable... it was the other alternatives for the same cash that were more appealing (think Dodge Challenger)...

The fact that GM had about 10 brand names more than they needed... The fact that the GFC was crippling the US economy... The fact that fuel prices were shooting into the sky faster than a space shuttle... The list continues...

Personally I think its a bad idea at the moment...
But - to be fair... my knowledge of the US market isn't very good...
(and I feel that Ford and Holden have the same issue!!!)
Old 05-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Loftie, I think you have a very good grip on what may have happened with the Holden ventures in the US.

To what you said I would like to add that when the GTO arrived it was slammed in many reviews (magazines, websites) for it's dated styling. Also, it was a "performance" car with no hood scoops, a feature the GTO was famous for. It was fast and handled great but people did not want a bland looking car.

A lot of people bought one because it was a GTO; a novelty. The G8 looked pretty modern. I would guess the economy was the nail in the coffin for it.

Now, as far as a "senior company executive" from Ford making such statements about GM, Holden, and their failures, I am not saying it is impossible but just look at every interview where a reporter tries to coax or prod Mulally into critisizing or gloating over GM's and Chrysler's problems. He NEVER says one word about it. When asked about GM and Chrysler issues Mulally just says "Well, at Ford we've got some wonderful products coming out right now that are the best we've ever produced and that people will love." He has never commented on their problems, shortfalls, or anything else. I suspect he expects the same out of his executives, and he has fired executives on the spot.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie

Another thing was that the GTO coupe was released in the USA in 2006... The body design was first seen in Australia in 1999, and released in 2002... the car was already outdated the minute it rolled off the boat in the USA...
Wasn't the VT mostly styled from a mid 90's Opel anyway?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Wasn't the VT mostly styled from a mid 90's Opel anyway?
Infact the VT was the most "Australian" of the commodores for some time...

Every commodore before it was based on a european version...
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11292985
Old 05-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Only a little more than half of the 20,000 G8s expected to be sold in the first 12 months
I'm sure Ford Australia would LOVE to sell an additional 10,000 falcons a year. that's a niche product in NA, but a major upscale for AU. so, it's not like Ford NA couldn't allow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
One of the major failings of the Pontiac GTO was the fact that it was mostly Australian...
i'm sure i read on a few american forums that australia *copied* their design
Old 05-10-2010, 04:49 PM   #17
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
I'm sure Ford Australia would LOVE to sell an additional 10,000 falcons a year. that's a niche product in NA, but a major upscale for AU. so, it's not like Ford NA couldn't allow it.

i'm sure i read on a few american forums that australia *copied* their design

$150 million for LHD (unknown how much the fedral government will chip in)
Plus there has to be the turnover worth putting it on dealer lots (marketing, parts back-up, training etc) So they'd probably want to push it way up market if only 10,000 year were going there.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:06 PM   #18
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
$150 million for LHD (unknown how much the fedral government will chip in)
Plus there has to be the turnover worth putting it on dealer lots (marketing, parts back-up, training etc) So they'd probably want to push it way up market if only 10,000 year were going there.
With the Australian dollar almost at parity with the US$, don't hold your breath. Holden must be feeling the pinch with the Cruze and the Police car now...
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #19
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Does anyone else find it ironic that at the bottom of the article they still push the "but they could export 60k police cars" barrow. Then again they were originally saying 70k...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #20
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Just back from Europe and reckon that Falcon with the 2 Litre turbo would be a good niche seller in Germany.
Germans drive a lot of large cars.
Lot more than i thought they would.
Plenty of E and S class Benzs and X6 Bmws.
Have to get there heads around a large Ford sedan in Europe though.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #21
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Plenty of E and S class Benzs and X6 Bmws.
Have to get there heads around a large Ford sedan in Europe though.
Not going to happen. Yes, the Falcon nowadays is a much better car relatively speaking, but it still has some way to go to compete with a Merc/BMW.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son
Not going to happen. Yes, the Falcon nowadays is a much better car relatively speaking, but it still has some way to go to compete with a Merc/BMW.
Would have to succeed on price as even a base E class starts at 41000 Euro.
Should be able to sneak a Falcon for around 32000 Euro.
Wont happen as Ford have the wind up them after the G8, and it would compete against the Mondeo.
Then again "One Ford" may change things.
Thats if the Falcon still exists.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Would have to succeed on price as even a base E class starts at 41000 Euro.
Should be able to sneak a Falcon for around 32000 Euro.
Wont happen as Ford have the wind up them after the G8, and it would compete against the Mondeo.
Then again "One Ford" may change things.
Thats if the Falcon still exists.
Yeah but what he means I think is that Falcon has a long way to go (in its current form) to compete on level terms with BMW/Merc with features, build quality, fit and finish, NVH etc. This all means a big dollar spend on a new platform which is where the reborn Global Rear Wheel Drive project comes into it.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #24
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yeah but what he means I think is that Falcon has a long way to go (in its current form) to compete on level terms with BMW/Merc with features, build quality, fit and finish, NVH etc. This all means a big dollar spend on a new platform which is where the reborn Global Rear Wheel Drive project comes into it.
Dosen't have to equal quality or features if your price is 25% lower then your segment competition.
Selling on price not features.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:04 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is because of their "don't ask/don't tell" policy.

Driving a left hand drive commodore with the "ugly stick" pack is a bit of a give away.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #26
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

The GTO was shunned by Chevy other G.M brands... Only Pontiac dealers hardly advertised them...My brother bought a GTO new for $25k ...
Most people there don't know what it is ...To me it is somewhat poverty pack with small brakes and as said no hood scoops on first model ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 01:23 PM   #27
Jesmol

I got some interesting info on the G8 failures yesterday. The car was apparently a BIG failure from a quality and reliability point of view.

over 12,000 of them were reworked on the docks at port of entry.

2 Safety / Complaince campaigns (equivalent of a recall)

7 "Customer Satifaction" campaigns.

It was rated as the lowest car on the JD Powers quality list.

Holden are very concerned about their percieved quality level within GM and are working hard to lift it.
Jesmol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #28
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
For Ford, though, the “Crown Vic” lost its commercial appeal a long time ago. Built in St. Thomas, Ont., the car has been relegated to police and taxi fleets since 2007 after Ford decided the consumer market for big, rear-wheel-drive sedans had all but disappeared, save for a handful of Florida retirees. Even taxi companies are moving away to smaller and more fuel-efficient cars. And police departments, although important and high-profile customers, only buy about 60,000 of the roughly $30,000 vehicles a year in total—not enough to justify a dedicated assembly line.
Does make you wonder why Holden are trying to repeat the process. They couldnt make money selling a VE to the americans at $35000 (when aussie was 70 cents to $US), but are now trying to sell a Caprice to them for $30,000 (when aussie is at Parity).

You have to wonder who is more stupid, those americans with 10% unemployment (and laying off police officers), to buy imported Police cars, or those Australian taxpayers who are subsidising an American company to send cars to america at below cost price.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:53 PM   #29
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Regarding the Crown Victoria, it probably didn't help that the model was first introduced in 1998 either.

Meanwhile Chrysler have the 300C, Dodge have the Charger, Cadillac have the CTS. So there must be a market there somewhere.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #30
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

The most recent body style dates to 1998, but it got a new chassis in 2003. The Crown Victoria name was used exclusively as the model of the car since 1992. Previous to that the car was called an "LTD" (L-T-D), and Crown Victoria was the upscale package that you could get on the car. However, the Panther Platform has been around since 1979. It is truely a dinosaur in a modern world. To put that into perspective, that was 4 years before I graduated from high school, and I am 46 years old now.

I would think the weight and the styling of the car, or lack thereof, is the reason it didn't sell retail very well anymore. It is an "old man's" car and not very appealing. It was allowed to rot on the vine.

If Ford wants to say there isn't much demand for rear wheel drive, full sized cars based on the lack of sales of this boat anchor, that is a sorry measuring stick.

Quote:
You have to wonder who is more stupid, those americans with 10% unemployment (and laying off police officers), to buy imported Police cars, or those Australian taxpayers who are subsidising an American company to send cars to america at below cost price.
"Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post