Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Angry Aaand Drive is at it again.

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...0303-pikb.html

Quote:
Ford’s global product development chief Derrick Kuzak says the company’s Melbourne-based Australian operations are a crucial part of the new One Ford world, which aims to develop a single vehicle to suit the world.

But amid speculation the future of the Falcon is under a cloud following recent comments by senior executives in the US suggesting it could make way for the US-made Taurus he is still refusing to shed light on the fate of the locally made large car.

However, Kuzak again hinted that the rear-wheel-drive formula that’s been a foundation of the Falcon over five decades could make way for the more efficient front-drive configuration used by most family sedans. He also reiterated comments by Ford’s global boss, Alan Mulally, that a Subaru-like all-wheel-drive set-up could make sense for large cars like the Falcon.

“Clearly we’ve gotten really, really good at front-wheel-drive (and) all-wheel-drive cars, their design proportions, how they drive,” said Kuzak. “Where we are doing front-wheel-drive on [large cars] they also always have all-wheel-drive.”

He said the Mustang – an American muscle car classic that relies on rear-drive performance – and Ford Australia’s top-selling Falcon were vehicles that could still make sense as a rear-wheel-drive model.

“There still is room for rear-wheel-drive cars; Australia is the perfect example but we haven’t finalised our decision.”

Ford’s much publicised One Ford policy means the Falcon cannot exist as a specific model just for Australia.

Rumours continue about options, which range from taking the Taurus and rebadging as a Falcon to a General Motors-style option of using Australia as the development centre for rear-drive two- and four-door vehicles, such as the Mustang.

With the current Falcon expected to continue until at least 2014, Kuzak said time was on Ford’s side.

“We just did the Falcon, it’s a very successful product. We just did the Taurus, it’s a very successful product. We don’t have to make that decision yet, so we’re going to do the analysis and will see what the markets do.”

But Kuzak refused to speculate on options, instead reaffirming Ford’s position as a significant engineering base for the Asia Pacific region.

“Ford Australia is fundamentally a major piece of One Ford,” he said.

“Our global compact pickup is being led by the Australian team. The Australian team provides core engineering foundation for all of our Asia Pacific team and all of our Asia Pacific products so they are today a fundamental piece of the One Ford product development team and it will stay that way.”
Great glass-half-empty crap there Drive. Or is that Drivel?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Can't see any real negs in that? Must be reading it wrong ...... my take is they are still thinking about it and is still good news .....
Quote:
He said the Mustang – an American muscle car classic that relies on rear-drive performance – and Ford Australia’s top-selling Falcon were vehicles that could still make sense as a rear-wheel-drive model.
Quote:
“There still is room for rear-wheel-drive cars; Australia is the perfect example but we haven’t finalised our decision.”
Quote:
With the current Falcon expected to continue until at least 2014, Kuzak said time was on Ford’s side.

“We just did the Falcon, it’s a very successful product. We just did the Taurus, it’s a very successful product. We don’t have to make that decision yet, so we’re going to do the analysis and will see what the markets do.”
Quote:
But Kuzak refused to speculate on options, instead reaffirming Ford’s position as a significant engineering base for the Asia Pacific region.

“Ford Australia is fundamentally a major piece of One Ford,” he said.

“Our global compact pickup is being led by the Australian team. The Australian team provides core engineering foundation for all of our Asia Pacific team and all of our Asia Pacific products so they are today a fundamental piece of the One Ford product development team and it will stay that way.”
I am seeing 1/2 full .......

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Perhaps I'm just grumpy and everything is half empty at the moment, but my take on that article is that they have tried to bring in the same neg spin as they did when they "broke" their first "story" on the issue.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

I don't see a problem with the story. I think some people on here are a little too precious and look for any negativity in articles these days.

This article is just reporting what is available, I think it is up to Ford to strategically give responses, to give enough info without revealing too much.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not really negative although merely mentioning it the same day that another Holden boss leaves could be seen as a weapon of mass distraction.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Agree though .... anything with with the slightest hint, 'Falcon might go' , no matter how miniscule it is, they will try to spin it as gone! 4 years is a fair amount of time and there will be 10 decisions made on the future before anything is set in concrete.

One thing is though ...... if the Coyote (and the other developments: 4cyl Falcon etc) is a hit, it would certainly help in the longevity of a rear wheel platform at least. No matter what happens though ...... we WILL be driving the same car as the yanks in 5 years time ..... in some form or another!

And yes .... stop being grumpy

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

To me it just sounds like a slow news day so they are rehashing the same old unsubstantiated theorys that have already been covered.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #8
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

I think it is good news so far from what I've read in that article, saying that Australia is a major part of the One Ford thing, meaning we know our rear drive, so we could be closer to the Falcon-Mustang setup yet.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #9
FOMOCO 1
Munch Munch GM's 4 Lunch

Im sick of this crap............I wonder if the media is trying to force an outcome as per Mitsubishi 380. Fundamentally a good car but perceived as being unreliable and built by an organisation that was teetering on the brink of collapse if you believed the media at the time, and buyers stayed away.
All this speculation on whether the Falcon will be around post 2014 cannot be good for sales. Maybe blue blooded fans would not care but to the buying public.......
I really believe Ford should take a stand and be definitive on this subject so as the public can be at ease with purchasing the product. Just my 2c worth.
FOMOCO 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #10
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOMOCO 1
Im sick of this crap............I wonder if the media is trying to force an outcome as per Mitsubishi 380. Fundamentally a good car but perceived as being unreliable and built by an organisation that was teetering on the brink of collapse if you believed the media at the time, and buyers stayed away.
All this speculation on whether the Falcon will be around post 2014 cannot be good for sales. Maybe blue blooded fans would not care but to the buying public.......
I really believe Ford should take a stand and be definitive on this subject so as the public can be at ease with purchasing the product. Just my 2c worth.
What is the matter? Drive just wrote Current model Falcon till 2014, not end model Falcon 2014, there is a difference.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:59 PM   #11
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly off topic, but why is the current generation Falcon slated to end in 2014, 5 years after it was introduced? Is it emmission/safety standards? Every other generation has lasted around 10 years. If past trends are followed we'd have the current rear drive platform till 2019...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #12
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
Slightly off topic, but why is the current generation Falcon slated to end in 2014, 5 years after it was introduced? Is it emmission/safety standards? Every other generation has lasted around 10 years. If past trends are followed we'd have the current rear drive platform till 2019...
It might have some thing to do with euro 5 and 6 emissions how ever I did think that was earlier than that. All I can think of is if the Falcon will have to fall in line globally by being the shared platform with Mustang or we get the Taurus which I don't think will happen as that would mean the end of Broadmeadows as we know it. But as stated in article, Ford Australia has a big part to play globally.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo20btt
It might have some thing to do with euro 5 and 6 emissions how ever I did think that was earlier than that. All I can think of is if the Falcon will have to fall in line globally by being the shared platform with Mustang or we get the Taurus which I don't think will happen as that would mean the end of Broadmeadows as we know it. But as stated in article, Ford Australia has a big part to play globally.
Alternatly, FoA could become the regional maker of RHD Mondeo and Taurus on one new platform.

What I'm hoping for is a Mid sized and large RWD joint project that doubles FoA sales....
XR could become the sporty mid sizer and G series could remain Falcon size...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #14
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
What I'm hoping for is a Mid sized and large RWD joint project that doubles FoA sales....
XR could become the sporty mid sizer and G series could remain Falcon size...

Now that would be an awesome lineup. Someone get this man a job at Ford!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Alternatly, FoA could become the regional maker of RHD Mondeo and Taurus on one new platform.

I think if manufacturing continues here that is the most likely option...

Perhaps even a SUV Top-hat on that Platform also.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
I'm not sure what is classified as a 'generation' for car manufacturers, but Wikipedia has this to say about Falcon generations:

1 First generation (1960–1966)
1.1 XK
1.2 XL
1.3 XM
1.4 XP
2 Second generation (1966–1972)
2.1 XR
2.2 XT
2.3 XW
2.4 XY
3 Third generation (1972–1979)
3.1 XA
3.2 XB
3.3 XC
4 Fourth generation (1979–1988)
4.1 XD
4.2 XE
4.3 XF
4.4 XG
4.5 XH
5 Fifth generation (1988–1998)
5.1 EA
5.2 EB
5.3 ED
5.4 EF
5.5 EL
6 Sixth generation (1998–2008)
6.1 AU
6.2 BA
6.3 BF
7 Seventh generation (2008–)
7.1 FG

It seems to me that 6 years (up until 2014) for the 'seventh generation' FG is more or less in line with the life span of previous generations (6 - 10 years)

Last edited by Inducted_Breeze; 04-03-2010 at 06:29 PM.
Quicksand is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2010, 11:25 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
10 years is now considered too long. Most manufacturers are now working on 6-7 year cycles. So come 2015 when the new Falcon is due it will be 7 years as the FG was released in 08. And i'd say it is to match up with Mustang which gets an all new platform in late 2014. Good chance that contains the answer right there. All new RWD platform in 2014 for Mustang makes it highly likely the Falcon will soon share it in 2015.

I wish they would hurry up and get Global RWD up and running.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2010, 10:12 AM   #18
legt
EL GT

Whatever happens, I'd be holding onto my GT Falcons as they will surely become more collectible & expensive.
Why did FPV invest $40m to Prodrive for an engine that is available from the USA - $1.6m/kW..??
Way to run a business Ford Australia....2016 will prove it..!!
legt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The trouble is the headline that Drive chose to give to that article.

Lukeyson
Old 04-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
The trouble is the headline that Drive chose to give to that article.

Lukeyson
"Falcon FWD: latest news" :
Old 04-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
g220ba
FGX XR8

So basically they've re-hashed an article from a couple of months ago with absolutely no new information whatsoever.

I suppose this what we've come to expect from the motoring "journalists" in this country.
g220ba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #22
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can someone tell me where the "new" news is in that article? Is this all old news with nothing new to add...
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #23
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
can someone tell me where the "new" news is in that article? Is this all old news with nothing new to add...
This is old news almost bordering on repost.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
That was my point exactly

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Yeah that's what crossed my mind....must be a slow news day. Holden must not have announced their hydrogen powered SIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDIDI Direct Injection.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #26
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

The only part of the news that is new is that the 'motoring writers' (they are not journalists AFAIAC) got to talk to Derrick Kuzak at Generva this week.

So what's new is that they got the answer at Geneva rather than Detroit.

News worthy stuff!

Lukeyson
Old 04-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #27
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

I'll take an AWD twin turbo if the whole things falls over please

Plan for the worst/hope for the best... no expectations/no disappointments.

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is Kuzak saying all this, if people are sick of hearing about it then blame the Ford execs.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #29
Kryton

If people stopped reading it - it wouldnt exist.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #30
glavas

as a holden man i hope that falcon still lives on. why dont they just kill of the tarus and sell the falcon worldwide? or america want there own american made car?
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post