Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default What grinds your gears??

I haven't been on in the last while.

But while walking down the road the other day I thought " Christ theres some things that people do to their cars that really irritates me.

Just a couple from me:

Stockies on the back sweet rims on the front . popular in the idiot community.

Spending money on looks and aftermarket parts when theres mechanical issues that NEED to be fixed. Eg a guy I know bought new $5000 rims+rubber. Even though his XR8 was running on 6 cylinders.

So my question is what grinds your gears??

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 AM   #2
blueluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
Stockies on the back sweet rims on the front . popular in the idiot community.
Yeah, what is with that? Is it supposed to be "I'm heading into the burnout pit" thing?

Seems to be a VN series type thing around my way at the moment, normally the ones with multi colored body panels based on whatever the wreckers had at the time

Mine is the classic stuck in the right lane syndrome, always has been. I'm not talking about std 60 km/hr dual lane suburbia stuff, the freeway plebs.......you all know the ones.

What I love about some drivers is they don't realise that in most cars you can go to the other side at the bowser and still fill up.
The looks I get when I bypass the 5 cars all waiting for the left side filler for their cars and go to straight the empty right side filler bowser is priceless. You can actually see the point where they go "doh!" after realising it is possible! I guess the ratio of fuel fillers on the left side of a car is much higher??
blueluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueluvr
Yeah, what is with that? Is it supposed to be "I'm heading into the burnout pit" thing?
More like the "my 6 cyl stock Commodore V6 hasn't got enough grunt to spin anything more than these stock skinny wheels and tyres

Quote:
What I love about some drivers is they don't realise that in most cars you can go to the other side at the bowser and still fill up.
The looks I get when I bypass the 5 cars all waiting for the left side filler for their cars and go to straight the empty right side filler bowser is priceless. I guess the ratio of fuel fillers on the left is much higher??
I find the hose barely reaches the other side of the car and if I am lucky the filler will go in at the correct angle. Then when it won't reach, you look like the tool who couldn't wait for the pump on the correct side.

On petrol pumps - people who drive around to the front and back in or drive in the wrong way (yes many servos do have signs to indicate it is one way). I'm waiting for the guy at the rear pump to drive off to pull into the front pump, leaving a spot for the next person in queue and then someone pulls into the empty front pump, jumping the queue and blocking in the guy who was about to leave
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:16 AM   #4
blueluvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
More like the "my 6 cyl stock Commodore V6 hasn't got enough grunt to spin anything more than these stock skinny wheels and tyres
Gold!

Quote:
I find the hose barely reaches the other side of the car and if I am lucky the filler will go in at the correct angle. Then when it won't reach, you look like the tool who couldn't wait for the pump on the correct side.
I have both an EL an BF and I have never NOT been able to refuel from the other side. Sometimes I might have to hold the hose over the boot, but beats waiting. You just gotta park in close. The ones with the flex heads at the top give you miles of hose, but I have gone mighty close a few times with the ones that come straight out of the bowser, but can normally still fill with a downward facing handle. It aint Commy Russia or modern Baghdad, I absolutely hate lining up for fuel with a pasion.

Quote:
On petrol pumps - people who drive around to the front and back in or drive in the wrong way (yes many servos do have signs to indicate it is one way). I'm waiting for the guy at the rear pump to drive off to pull into the front pump, leaving a spot for the next person in queue and then someone pulls into the empty front pump, jumping the queue and blocking in the guy who was about to leave
oh yeah, I forgot about the reverse refuller, good one, neck them too!

And on the subject of servos, the guy or gal who pulls into a bowser to give the impression of refuelling and then goes in to the shop blocking a bowser, all because they couldn't be bothered parking where they should........
blueluvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chev badges on commodores.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 AM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I HATE people who feel they need to wind down their windows and blast their music, like "check out how sickkkk I am yo".

I also hate VN and VS enthusiasts in general, plus the fact that these cars have airbags, Darwinism isn't as efficient as it used to be.

What I hate most of all though is people who tailgate you when you are doing the speed limit!
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
almostsane

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete
ditto - this is Australia my friend, not America...

I also hate when ppl get utes and lower them in the back, and not the front.
almostsane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
why do they do this??

yeah i know the GEN111 is a GM engine but it's found in more than just chevy's

why dont VL drivers put NISSAN badges on their cars :

or what about BUICK badges on v6 commos
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I was at Campbellfield Kmart last night; I spied a Toyota Camry with Chevy badges in place of the normal Toyota badge
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
TP351
Lurker

Quote:

Not to mention Pontiac badges and GTO fronts on Commonwhores as well! They are dog ugly.
TP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #11
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:

OMFG YES TOTALLY AGREE

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #12
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Glad someone said it!
xdc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Gold!

I have both an EL an BF and I have never NOT been able to refuel from the other side. Sometimes I might have to hold the hose over the boot, but beats waiting. You just gotta park in close. The ones with the flex heads at the top give you miles of hose, but I have gone mighty close a few times with the ones that come straight out of the bowser, but can normally still fill with a downward facing handle. It aint Commy Russia or modern Baghdad, I absolutely hate lining up for fuel with a pasion.

oh yeah, I forgot about the reverse refuller, good one, neck them too!

And on the subject of servos, the guy or gal who pulls into a bowser to give the impression of refuelling and then goes in to the shop blocking a bowser, all because they couldn't be bothered parking where they should........
Petrol users who pull up equal with the LPG bowser (to use the ULP one next to it), when the next line of pumps over is totally free! This is when I go around them and reverse to within an inch of their front bar (I have reversing camera) and then fill up with gas, which takes longer than their petrol, and they are then usually blocked in by someoone else behind them so have to wait for me to finish and pay! Love it!!!!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Petrol users who pull up equal with the LPG bowser (to use the ULP one next to it), when the next line of pumps over is totally free! This is when I go around them and reverse to within an inch of their front bar (I have reversing camera) and then fill up with gas, which takes longer than their petrol, and they are then usually blocked in by someoone else behind them so have to wait for me to finish and pay! Love it!!!!
What a great bloke you are!
Old 11-01-2010, 01:09 AM   #15
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:

Seems to be a VN series type thing around my way at the moment, normally the ones with multi colored body panels based on whatever the wreckers had at the time
There's a fair amount of Holden Commos in my area that have this setup. I think it's a "I'm heading out to do burnouts on public roads and be fully sick" thing.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #16
GK351

Talking about servo's..
Diesel cars/utes with 50L tanks using the HI flow diesel pump while i and other trucks are waiting to fill up 500+ litres.
GK351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #17
homegrown
hotshot

Xb bonnets scoops on other cars. Don't like it.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:57 PM   #18
73XBGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
Xb bonnets scoops on other cars. Don't like it.
Yeah what is with that?? that really grinds my gears to see so many XB/XC bonnets with scoops on holdens and some other cars i have seen aswell have it, but mainly alot of holdens..they wish their holden was designed with a bonnet as good as that! well guess what...its a FORD bonnet! HA!

The Daily: 2003 FPV BA GT-P mk1 (Build #410) silhouette black, leather/suede, auto 4 speed, SCT X4 flash tuned, BluePower racing developments cold air intake, Headers>high flow cats>HiTech “bionic” dual 2.5” stainless system catback
73XBGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:43 AM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Massive Stereos.

Fair enough, put in a couple of subs to get the seats moving, but really.. and really, in reality who needs to hear just a whole heap of bass when they're driving around. It's not cool.. on any day of the week.. and as a fan of music, I along with Jesus cry every time a good song is raped by someone just turning up as much bass as possible.

If at 3am, I, my next door neighbour, the bloke three doors down and Frank across the street wanted to listen to some white rap or the sounds of horns and whistles sounding off to heavy bass notes, we'd organise to do so during the day.

Girls with Playboy stickers on cars.. try making me show you respect with that on the rear window.

Last edited by onfire; 11-01-2010 at 02:48 AM.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Massive Stereos.

Fair enough, put in a couple of subs to get the seats moving, but really.. and really, in reality who needs to hear just a whole heap of bass when they're driving around. It's not cool.. on any day of the week.. and as a fan of music, I along with Jesus cry every time a good song is raped by someone just turning up as much bass as possible.

If at 3am, I, my next door neighbour, the bloke three doors down and Frank across the street wanted to listen to some white rap or the sounds of horns and whistles sounding off to heavy bass notes, we'd organise to do so during the day.

Girls with Playboy stickers on cars.. try making me show you respect with that on the rear window.
You are so spot on!!! You got some rep from me!!!

I'm all for upgrading one's stereo, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.....preferably before the point where you permanently damage your hearing!

I'm so sick and tired of going to somewhere nice (let's say Chapel St in Melbourne), having a nice dinner with the Mrs, and then some moronic yahoo in their VT commodore with 4 mates in the car comes crawling along with the bass up so much you can hear their car rattle, not to mention feel your brain shake.....

And as far as the girls....I don't have to add anything to that - enough said.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What grinds my gears?

The Commodore's clunkomatic does a fine job on its own...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #22
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

What grinds my gears is people who spend too much time worrying about what other people do with their cars =P

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #23
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People who pour water over the fuel they have just spilt down there paint work! It makes the forecourt nice and slippery for everybody else, and it does not wash the fuel off your paint! Try wiping it with the paper towel instead! Or better still, Don't spill the bloody petrol everywhere!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:57 AM   #24
cool65
carefactor zero

Why is it that all the damn lazy people in 4WD always have to go for the closest parking at a shopping centre.
Their 4WD's are always tightly squeezed in to spaces.
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
buggo
[BU66OS]

I also hate cannons on crappy little hatchbacks, they are so annoying, and just cause there car produces an ear peircing whine, backed by a low constant popping sound that wakes people up at night, they think there $200 car with $100 cannon from supercheap is better than mine.
And I hate when ppl try and make there lances look like evo's, but always fail. Its a dead giveaway when your 'evo' has 13' stockies with drums on the back. :togo:

BA XR8 Manual
buggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:27 PM   #26
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggo_gt
I also hate cannons on crappy little hatchbacks, they are so annoying, and just cause there car produces an ear peircing whine, backed by a low constant popping sound that wakes people up at night, they think there $200 car with $100 cannon from supercheap is better than mine.
And I hate when ppl try and make there lances look like evo's, but always fail. Its a dead giveaway when your 'evo' has 13' stockies with drums on the back. :togo:
cannons on POS cars dont grind my gears, they make my day..... double the cannon = double the fun. this car left me walking around all day with a smile on my dial

carbon fibre left unpainted on the top floor of a carpark ends up looking as bad as this

also notice the 120mm tacho on the dash
Old 11-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #27
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

You know what really grinds my gears? People in the 19th century. Why don't they get with the freakin program? It's called an automobile, folks. It's much faster than a horse!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #28
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
You know what really grinds my gears? People in the 19th century. Why don't they get with the freakin program? It's called an automobile, folks. It's much faster than a horse!
HAHAHAH awesome!
Old 11-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #29
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car shakes to the bass - but it shakes when it idles too lol.

One thing that really gets on my nerves is people in the right lane on the freeway too - it irks me to no end and my highbeams get a good workin when it happens.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #30
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems I'm getting old, or probably just matured. But skids, wheel spin, burn outs on public roads.. what grinds my gears is the mechanics just up the road from me.. I wonder if the boss knows his young mechanics wheel out every 2nd car in the yard and ' test ' them but spinning the wheels and throwing out the back ends coming constantly on and off the main drag when he goes home.

It seems come 5.30-6pm at least once a week, some random near stock family sedan gets the said treatment followed by a round of applause.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post