Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Two Customers Return EPICA's

Two people who bought Holden's new Epica sedan have taken the company up on its unique money-back guarantee and handed back their cars.

Holden has a shopping channel-style deal for Epica buyers: if you buy one and don't like it, return it in good condition within 30 days (or 1500km) and you will get your money back.

It is the first deal of its kind in Australia and there is only one condition - you must buy another car.

One buyer swapped the Epica for a Holden Commodore, while the other - a woman from Wingham, near Taree - bought herself a Mazda6. Holden will not reveal the identity of either customer for "privacy reasons" but Drive spoke to the Mazda dealership in Taree that handled the changeover.

It says the woman bought the Epica from McGrath Holden at Liverpool when she was in Sydney on holidays. She then drove the 310km back to Wingham without incident but the car later broke down on a trip to nearby Tinonee and had to be towed to the Holden dealer in Taree to be fixed.

While it was being repaired the woman walked to the Mazda dealership across the road, Manning Valley Motors. Salesman Steve Pascoe says the woman did not initially tell him about the Epica.

"I knew nothing about the other vehicle at the time," he says.

"It was not until the transaction was done and I took the deposit that she told me about the other car.

"So I gave her a copy of the order and Holden contacted me to get our banking details and then put the money straight into our account."

Pascoe says the woman bought a Mazda6 Classic hatch, with a recommended retail price of $32,980. The Epica range sells for between $25,990 and $30,990.

The Mazda dealer then trucked the Epica (with just 501km on the clock) back to the dealer in Sydney.

The Epica was launched in late April this year and replaces the European-built Vectra as Holden's entrant in the medium-car segment. It is the fourth Korean-built vehicle released in Australia by Holden since October 2005. The Barina and Viva small cars were launched at the 2005 Sydney motor show, while its Captiva soft-roader was introduced in October last year.

In the two months the Epica has been on sale it has recorded 917 sales. In June it was the fifth best-selling car in the market, behind the Toyota Camry, Mazda6, Subaru Liberty and Honda Accord.

Holden marketing director John Elsworth says the local maker always expected some cars to be returned.

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

so they are the 2 morons that bought the Epica's. haha why you would, who knows!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:23 PM   #3
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
so they are the 2 morons that bought the Epica's. haha why you would, who knows!
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:44 PM   #4
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
No there were 916 morons and 1 smart enough to take it back and get another brand Seriously though I'm surprised at how many they are selling
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Super Snake

I think that that is a great way of selling cars. There should be more of it.
Super Snake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Snake
I think that that is a great way of selling cars. There should be more of it.
Imagine the paper work :togo: . that, just research, drive and make your mind up.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #7
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
No there were 916 morons and 1 smart enough to take it back and get another brand Seriously though I'm surprised at how many they are selling
Don't be surprised, you gotta remember that there are on average more stupid people in Australia than smart. I define stupid as an IQ less than 105.
On the whole over 50% of people in Australia are not intelligent with an IQ of less than 100; explains why we have Bracks and Iemma back in, why we have Holden as supposedly Australias number one car and why after all these years of evolution we still have Labor voters.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 11:23 AM   #8
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Don't be surprised, you gotta remember that there are on average more stupid people in Australia than smart. I define stupid as an IQ less than 105.
On the whole over 50% of people in Australia are not intelligent with an IQ of less than 100; explains why we have Bracks and Iemma back in, why we have Holden as supposedly Australias number one car and why after all these years of evolution we still have Labor voters.
I could not have said that better myself!

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

One could argue that Australia is devolving. Look at the sucsess of Howard and Big Brother no wonder the Epica is a top seller. :
Old 17-07-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
weenie

Should make it a rule across the board. There would be a few holdens & fords being given back. Would certainly make suppliers of diffs, gearboxes & engines pull their fingers out of their back sides.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 02:20 PM   #11
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd

I guess the same group of morons that keep voting state labor governments in are the same group of morons who keep voting liberal at federal elections.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #12
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
I guess the same group of morons that keep voting state labor governments in are the same group of morons who keep voting liberal at federal elections.
Old 16-07-2007, 10:24 PM   #13
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

hmmmm..... choice between a mazda 6 or a deawooo with holden badges.....?????
i think i could work that one out before 500km.
i suppose she can tell her friends she had an epic trip home.

atleast holden must be genuine with their warrenty
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #15
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So many new cars in that price range to choose from what moron would pay hard earned money for a Daweoo epica - I scratch my head...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #16
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Imagine if Ford did that for the BA?
Old 17-07-2007, 01:59 PM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

A good friend of my fathers was telling me about a guy he knows who bought one of these things here in SA.
He had it for a few thousand k's and the engine shat itself.
He had it towed to the dealer where he bought it for warranty repair and they told him it wasn't their problem.
They gave him an address of the company in Korea who handles these problems and apparently they sent him a cheque for AU$600 to get it fixed as they dont offer a great range of spare parts for the car.

I'm not exactly sure what the failure was in relation too but i do know the car no longer is usable.

Apparently there will be a story about them on one of the current affairs shows soon.

I'd love to know how they can dodge a claim under new car warranty.
I'd take a guess that it is written in to the contract somewhere that Holdens only act as an agent for the Daewoo motor company and get off on a technicality.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
A good friend of my fathers was telling me about a guy he knows who bought one of these things here in SA.
He had it for a few thousand k's and the engine shat itself.
He had it towed to the dealer where he bought it for warranty repair and they told him it wasn't their problem.
They gave him an address of the company in Korea who handles these problems and apparently they sent him a cheque for AU$600 to get it fixed as they dont offer a great range of spare parts for the car.

I'm not exactly sure what the failure was in relation too but i do know the car no longer is usable.

Apparently there will be a story about them on one of the current affairs shows soon.

I'd love to know how they can dodge a claim under new car warranty.
I'd take a guess that it is written in to the contract somewhere that Holdens only act as an agent for the Daewoo motor company and get off on a technicality.

It will be interesting to see what unfolds.
This is either inaccurate telling of exactly the siutation or plain b/s.

You saying that Holden will not do warranty repairs on a Holden Epica but instead refers its customer to a Korean company who will then send a check to cover costs?

This cannot be true...its just not possible...there has to be more to this.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #19
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo

You saying that Holden will not do warranty repairs on a Holden Epica but instead refers its customer to a Korean company who will then send a check to cover costs?

Sounds like crap to me, holden would have a riot on there hands if they did that
Old 17-07-2007, 02:59 PM   #20
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
Sounds like crap to me, holden would have a riot on there hands if they did that
Agreed,but wait,didn't he say it was going on one the current affairs shows?I've changed my mind,it MUST be true if they're going to air it
Old 17-07-2007, 09:24 PM   #21
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Dont worry mate, when i was first told about this i called BS aswell as i have had a few years experience in the motor industry and have an idea how some things work.
I cant believe the government would allow the selling company to back out of warranty on a new car as even used car deals are given stat 3 mth warranties.
I believe the issue is that whatever part failed on the car is not available as a replacement part and so he was given a cheque and told to make his own arrangements.
I know it sounds far fetched but this guy is a senior citizen who has no reason to lie about it.
As i said apparently there will be a story done on these problems so time will tell.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 02:38 PM   #22
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Two people who bought Holden's new Epica sedan have taken the company up on its unique money-back guarantee and handed back their cars.

It is the first deal of its kind in Australia and there is only one condition - you must buy another car.

One buyer swapped the Epica for a Holden Commodore, while the other - a woman from Wingham, near Taree - bought herself a Mazda6.
I thought the deal was that you had to buy another HOLDEN of the same or great value ???????

But she bought a Mazda6? Huh?
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 02:41 PM   #23
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I thought the deal was that you had to buy another HOLDEN of the same or great value ???????

But she bought a Mazda6? Huh?
No, any other car as long as it's the same or greater value.
Old 17-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #24
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

So by the magic of inference...

Might i suggest that the target market of the Holden Epica is someone who is so abundant in cash that they can purcahse a vehicle and, despite having a significant amount of money tied up in said vehicle, still be able to drop a deposit down at the local japanese car dealership!!
Old 17-07-2007, 07:04 PM   #25
Tles
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
So by the magic of inference...

Might i suggest that the target market of the Holden Epica is someone who is so abundant in cash that they can purcahse a vehicle and, despite having a significant amount of money tied up in said vehicle, still be able to drop a deposit down at the local japanese car dealership!!
"I was thinking about getting a Camry to do the big round Oz trip and then use for the Mrs car, whaddya reckon?".
"Hmmm...why don't you get an Epica to do the trip in and then give her back and get the Camry then. Save wearing out your car and using up your warranty clicks..."
"Now there's an idea..."
Tles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #26
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

The 30 day "cash-back" guarantee is a great idea. Honestly, how much can you learn from a new car in a 20 minute test drive? apart from enjoying the new-car smell.

The dealer would frown upon you for wanting to keep the car for 2 weeks to try it out and make sure your truely happy with it. You know, how does it fit in the garage/driveway? How easy is it to manuver into your favourite shopping centre/carpark/ Hungry Jacks drive through? Does it take all your thursday night shopping/saturday afternoon sports equipment? How does it go on your sunday cruise to the beach?

All these things need time before you can decied if the car is right for you. I think Holdens offer is great!...................................but you still couldnt pay me to drive that piece of trash
Old 17-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #27
R0BD0G
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the epica...stop bagging it out...

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....4&page=1&pp=25
R0BD0G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #28
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermit 73
i like the epica...stop bagging it out...
/tries to find sarcasm..and struggling :togo:
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #29
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must burn some of u that its only 2.
lol.

good for Holden, If it keeps ppl out of Toyleta's
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #30