Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-09-2005, 01:18 AM   #1
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Default Fairlane Wheel Selection

Hi Guys,

Wanting to put some nicer rolling stock onto the 'lane. Looking at a set between 17" and 19", but they would have to be really special to go for the 19s. The trouble that i am having is that there are very few wheels that i can find that suit both the body shape of the 'lane and the color at once. Everything that suits say a red fairlane, looks funny with the gold.

Anyone got any suggestions for wheels that will look good on the pic below? I will try and photoshop the wheels onto it afterwards and post them up

CHeers,
Michael

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:24 AM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

GT-P wheels????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 01:38 AM   #3
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
GT-P wheels????
Yeah, that was my first thought, but there are two problems.

1. The estimated price is around 3.5-4k
2. There is apparently an offset difference for the back wheels and the fronts may require a new strut(?!?)

So yeah, due to these reasons shooting this choice out of the water, is why im asking...

Old 14-09-2005, 02:19 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

AUIII XR8 Rebel 18" rims. Seen them on a silver Fairlane and it looked great.
Old 14-09-2005, 02:22 PM   #5
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
AUIII XR8 Rebel 18" rims. Seen them on a silver Fairlane and it looked great.
Or the T3 TL50/TS50 wheels.
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Please excuse the crappy job but I put some TS50 alloys onto it.

They are on special at Wheelking.com.au, along with some other wheels.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

They're AU 1 TE 50 rims arent they?
Old 14-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #8
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Might have to look into the rebel wheels, from memory they would look good. Anyone got a pic?

TS50 wheels would be my second choice behind GTP rims, but apparently they have the same offset issue for the back wheels and apparently i will have to change my front strut to fit the fronts on?!? (My car is a series one)

Old 14-09-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

On the Wheelkings.com.au site it said TS50, they must be wrong.

Well I can't wait to see what you end up doing with your car, Kryzak. I also lowered it in the photo. Gotta lower it, or it looks like a chauffer's car. Gold is sure a difficult colour to work with but it has silver alloys now and I'm sure will look fine with whatever you choose.

There's a Holden near my house with triangle-style alloys, which give a 3-spoke look, and I keep eyeing it every time I see it. I wonder what that would look like, but it seems so Saab-ish or '80s.

Andrew.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 14-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #10
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

I'd go for ba fairmont ghia rims. Had them on my lane for a bit and they looked horn but didnt get a pic. Definatly dont ruin it by getting the commo style big chromies. Mine has now got 17 inch cadillac wheels of a 2004 seville. Got them cheap and love them as i'll never see another lane or ford with them on( Dont like sheep) As long as it's lowered then 17's are plenty big enough.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #11
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
I'd go for ba fairmont ghia rims. Had them on my lane for a bit and they looked horn but didnt get a pic. Definatly dont ruin it by getting the commo style big chromies. Mine has now got 17 inch cadillac wheels of a 2004 seville. Got them cheap and love them as i'll never see another lane or ford with them on( Dont like sheep) As long as it's lowered then 17's are plenty big enough.
Actually, i didnt really like the BA Fairmont Ghia rims, then today i was driving home from work and i saw a dumped blue FG with standard rims and they looked horn!

I want something that says sporty but classy at the same time. It has to be beefy to suit the body style of the car, so that rules out azzuros, but i want them reasonably open aswell because ive had a horrid time with my last 2 cars that had closed wheels with brake temp problems in the twisties. Idealy it would be BA1 GTP Rims or T3 TS50 rims, but they will require mods to the struts :(

I will get there.

I will try and get some pics of a BA FG and a TS50 and try and shop the wheels onto it and post em here for thoughts

Cheers Guys.

Old 15-09-2005, 08:24 PM   #12
AuFairlaneV8

I have a white au fairlane I went BA XR series 1 rims they suit the car pretty well. I think a set of chromies would look nice aswell
AuFairlaneV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 08:33 PM   #13
Dauphin
Irregular member

Can you post a photo of the white AU?

Old 15-09-2005, 08:35 PM   #14
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Simmons FR19's

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #15
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Well, after a bit of looking around, i finally found a photo that i could chop the wheels off. These are TL50 wheels, but i think they are the same as the rebel wheels. Please excuse the poor photochop, it was looking good until i cut the car body out to lower it.

Id be very interested to see a photo of that while fairlane, because the BA 17s have crossed my mind to.

Also, i cant find a side on pic of a BA mk1 Fairmont Ghia for the life of me. If anyone has one, please post it for me

CHeers,
Michael

Old 16-09-2005, 12:12 AM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

Yup they're TL50/Rebel rims and I like them. That photochop doesnt really do them justice but trust me they'll look great :.

Either them or maybe even just AU2 XR 17's? Nice chunky looking wheel which could look pretty good on the Fairlane - they're quite easy and cheap to get too.
Old 16-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #17
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats how i want my fairlane lookin

18" wires is what im going for.. : and hydraulics

btw wen u wanna lower a car in photoshop or paint or waht ever..

use the "shape select tool" and go from the far edge of the image about inline with the bumper.. then go straight into the bumper and follow hte contour of the bottom of hte car all the way along then to the other bumper then to the opposite edge of the screen then select up the top accross then down to where you started :

enjoy
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #18
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Those wheels are AU1 TL50 wheels, same as on this TL50:
http://tseries.cjb.cc/images/T1-34.jpg

I was talking about the AU3 TS/TL50 wheels, like in this pic:
http://tseries.cjb.cc/images/T3-172.jpg

The factory rims are a different offset, front to back, but the ones that wheelking sell are not different, they are all the same as the front offset of the factory rims.
Old 17-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #19
Tornado
AKA MYTE8

Here's another pic, this time of a T2 and T3 TL50 with the wheels I was talking about.

Clicks pics for a close up
Old 17-09-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I prefer these posted by Tornado

Old 17-09-2005, 03:57 PM   #21
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

The wheels that i have shopped onto my car, were taken off that photo on the left Tornado. They look the same as the one posted above.

I will try and shop the T3s onto my car.

Stand By

Old 17-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #22
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Here we go. While i was at it, i redid the rebel wheels off the S1TL50 because they were a better shot.

Let me know what you think. My girlfriend thinks the T3s are the go, i was going to the rebel wheels, but im not so sure now. Would probably help if i could photoshop better, because i still have to visualise atm :P

Old 17-09-2005, 04:40 PM   #23
Dauphin
Irregular member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzak260
Here we go. While i was at it, i redid the rebel wheels off the S1TL50 because they were a better shot.

Let me know what you think. My girlfriend thinks the T3s are the go, i was going to the rebel wheels, but im not so sure now. Would probably help if i could photoshop better, because i still have to visualise atm :P
I feel that a new direction is needed. Drop the Ford T-series wheels and go for some European (e.g. Merc or BMW) ones and replace the center caps if possible. I find it hard to get past the gold.

Old 17-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I definitely think the S1 TL50/Rebel rims are the goods for that shape ... that's what I'd be getting if I had your car.

But that's just me though ... hee hee
Old 17-09-2005, 05:54 PM   #25
Dauphin
Irregular member

I'm not sure what wheels these are but I believe they are fairly common Tickford ones and I thought you'd like to see them on a gold Fairlane.

Old 27-09-2005, 12:19 AM   #26
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Still trying to make up my mind on this, because it is something that will stay with the car for its life and i cant live with it if i dont end up liking them

Anyway, here is a comparison shot between the T3 TS50 rims which are the T-Series rims of choice, and my other favourite rims, the Advanti Chiles. These were chosen because i love the look of them on LG's silver forte, and a local BA Ghia with them aswell. Should satisfy the european look too 'eh dauphin ;)

The wheels sort of look out of proportion to the rest of the car, but this was done to simulate lowering rather than my last shot at it :

Cheers,
Michael

Old 27-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #27
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

have a look here http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=10925

I like the rebel 18's as the best look
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 03:39 PM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

This man has taste.

Speedy Longchamps have to be the wheel I hate the most I think. Every time i see them I think they are fugly.
Old 27-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #29
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
This man has taste.

Speedy Longchamps have to be the wheel I hate the most I think. Every time i see them I think they are fugly.
they remind me of that Dez guy.. :
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2005, 08:25 PM   #30
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

What he said!!
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post