Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Advice on buying a Magna please.

Yeah I know a Magna so don't start on me.

I do have a 351 XC, but as a daily driver I want a car I can drive without watching the fuel gauge.

I have seen late 90's up to 2002 Magnas for about 4-5 grand, dual air bags, ABS, cruise, A/C with a 3.5 V6.

I have looked at Mazdas, Toyotas but for value my research is leading me towards a Magna because I want the safety features and want to keep it under 5K.

So does anyone have some tips on how bad/good a particular year is? Is the 3 litre better/worse than the 3.5, manual/auto which is more reliable, I would prefer an auto.

Cheers,JD

Old 08-10-2010, 11:35 PM   #2
MexicanBatman
Banned

3l auto is gutless compared to the 3.5l and not any better on fuel, the 3.5l auto goes hard, they are a great car and better then the other locals built at the time and the magna had a lot of aussie firsts, for local built cars..

Motors are good and in 2006 I killed the motor in my 2004 model it cost me $700 for a low km 2nd hand unit, try that in any 2 yo car for less!

They are no more or less reliable than anything else depends on the individual vehicle...

3.5 is the pick though

MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 01:55 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK thanks for the info. I forgot to mention, I can pick one up on gas too for this sort of money.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Check the CV's. They'd probably take a fair bit of abuse.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Check the valve seals. Mitsubishi are world famous for blowing blue smoke just after 100,000klm; and one running on gas will have higher EGT's which will exacerbate the problem quicker.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #6
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

LTD, that was an issue on the older 12 valve models. I have owned two later Magnas (still have one, Verada with 100,000km with me and on LPG), two Pajero's and one first series Magna 2.6 Astron. I love them!

As all have said, they are a good, honest car. Go for the 3.5 litre as it's a good goer. They do run well on LPG and are very economical on it. I had an XG Ute on factory LPG before I bought the first Pajero (needed a 4WD to tour outback, closed roads y'see) and the Verada was far more economical.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:11 AM   #7
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Make sure the auto trans has had some sort of service history/maintenance if you can, can be expensive if they haven't had regular fluid changes.

Definitely go for the 3.5L as everyone has said, better engine and much more grunt.

They were really well built cars, got a mate with a '97 model (3.5L) and looks like it just came out of factory with 180,000kms on it.
Fiesta God is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #8
BOSHOG
avenge me

i had a 1999 SOLARA, the build quality is superb. i used to get 650km/tank with spirited driving, and that didnt change much once i supercharged it. ive pulled a few of these motors down and loved what i saw inside compared to the holden motors ive seen

the only problem i had was a wheel bearing, but that was expected when you go supercharging a family V6

let me know if you buy a magna, i have a hardly used manual here ill send out, its just gathering dust
Old 09-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #9
20focus05
I wanna XR5

have a look under dash passanger side, centre consol. may have to remove the inner kick panel.
look for water marks, this is from the heater core and make sure the ecu does not have water on it. Causes engine and trans issues.
for you guys who have a magna put a bag over ecu if you dont want to pull dash out and replace heater core.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The main thing apart from the occasional heater core leak as stated above is the auto trans. When roadtesting it make the 2 - 3 shift is ok. For some reason Mitsubishi never quite sorted the autos in these things. The TJ onwards models are heaps better though in regards to this. The engines are bulletproof especially the 3.5. I would personally steer clear of a gas one because they arent bad on fuel anyway. Just adds more potential problems unless you're talking one of those factory ones.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a cardigan to wear while you drive it
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
Buy a cardigan to wear while you drive it
i think asking about magna's on a ford forum he deserved that.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Magna is a good car. I ve had mine (tj wagon) for five years and put 100k on it without any problems.
Mine is a manual and slightly modded with boge shocks king springs big brakes and quality rubber. Best part is it's sleeper status . Funiest thing is everyone thinks they got a quicker car so when stopping at traffic lights they all make sure they are not behind me even if they drive a corolla
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #14
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know my nick is magna but i have a EF XR6 and a SYII Territory lol but i used to have a Ralliart Magna. if the Magna is on gas make shore it has a LPG compatible head. iirc the advance had it from factory. plus the water leak in the passenger side can be caused by the front windscreen cowl leaking, if its green coolant its knackered if only happens when it rains a bit of sealant will fix it.
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:26 AM   #15
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have one as a second car a 98 TF wagon 3.0 Auto
Check the rear rocker cover gasket as it is vey close to the exhaust it gets very hot and brittle and falls apart, then the oil spills out and hits the manifold and it stinks
It is a time consuming job as you have to remove the inlet manifold - as well to do the rear bank of plugs
Mine has 290Kms on it and it is as strong as an ox
General maintanace is all that I have forked out for and done the rear gasket myself
People bag them but they are really a decent family car
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I had a 01 model Advance on gas, as Magna said, the Advance was setup to run gas, steer clear of the executive.

If your a big bloke you might find the foot well area a little squeezy, i did.
Mine had done 130k's when i bought it, mechanically sound, but after fitting 17's it seemed to eat gas.
Gave it a bootfull one night in the city and bent a CV axle.

Other than that it was a great car, i personally believe had these been RWD, they would have outsold other locals on build quality alone.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #17
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good work guys, thanks for all the info.
Definitely sounds like the 3.5 is the go, and checking the heater core.
If I go gas I will make sure it's factory.

Funnily enough BOSHOG, I have my eye on a pretty sweet Solara, thanks for the offer on the workshop manual, I will let you know. I don't anticipate getting anything until early December when I have to hand over the Corrolla I've been driving to my daughter when she gets her license.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Good cars. The old family hack a 98 3.0 TF Auto was just sold off with 250,000 trouble free klms on it.

Had no problems with Auto or anything like that. Just keep the maintanance up, Auto should be serviced ever 100klms or so same time as Timing Belt. Make sure the Magna you buy has had this as it is a PITA. Otherwise those rocker cover seals but they arent too hard a job, they go hard and leak oil.

Id be chasing a TH or TJ Sports or a similiar Verada.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #19
Cooper69S

personally never found the seats very comfortable in magnas - they seem very wide and flat. If I was in the market for a car at that price I'd look at something like this could possibly even find an xr6 around that budget

had a 2005 magna for a work car back then, interior felt cheap and poorly designed compared to the 2002 BA I had (admittedly it was a Ghia so maybe not a fair comparison).
If you look around you can pick up BA's in good condition around $5k especially if you know any dealers that will onsell a trade-in to you.
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Struggo

Stick to a TJ, TL or TW and you'll be sweet
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #21
nstg8a

if your not shy of jap imports id also look at a jdm diamante, much much much better specced than the aussie models. plus you have other engine options as well, like the 3.0l mivec (close to 200kw factory) or the 2.5 quadcam.

very good cars no matter what model you deide on. but my pick would be either a jdm mivec one or a nice manual vrx.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Silentsfastcar

I have 2 magans, one 4 cyc and the 3.5 6. both a great for daily drivers. and for a cheap car yu cant ask for much more (with airbags etc)
Old 09-10-2010, 02:14 PM   #23
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Get one of those AWD Mangas - they go well.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #24
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's not much more I can add that hasn't already been said, just keep your eyes peeled for those rare issues that tend to pop up. Definitely go for the Advance model or above, they're quite well-equipped. Mum's had a TE with the base 2.4L engine for six years now and it's not had any problems, they're very solid and well built, much better build quality than my EL. Hasn't got the ride comfort or legroom of the EL though.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM   #25
outside
off in outer space

i have a TJ
you need to have the timing belt changed at 100k
i had to rebuild the auto as there is a clip that brakes and can go into the oil pump, cost me $1600.00 to fix it
Old 09-10-2010, 05:32 PM   #26
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside
i have a TJ
you need to have the timing belt changed at 100k
i had to rebuild the auto as there is a clip that brakes and can go into the oil pump, cost me $1600.00 to fix it
your lucky, mine had the 5 speed tiptronic and it cost me nearly $3500 to fix.
mine was totally down to moronic driving though.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 PM   #27
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

If your heart isn't entirely sold on the Magna, have a look a places like www.governmentauctions.com.au for a dedicated LPG Ford XT or G6. Even a petrol XT with the ZF6 returns 9.9L/100km which is equal to the 4 cylinder Camry!

With the massive torque of the I6 and the cheap running costs of LPG, you just cant lose!
Old 09-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #28
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
If your heart isn't entirely sold on the Magna, have a look a places like www.governmentauctions.com.au for a dedicated LPG Ford XT or G6. Even a petrol XT with the ZF6 returns 9.9L/100km which is equal to the 4 cylinder Camry!

With the massive torque of the I6 and the cheap running costs of LPG, you just cant lose!
I like your thinking but I just want a to and from, and I want a smaller car and only pay up to 5K.
Then I dont have to worry about insurance etc.
I have a BA (wifes car) and an XC so I'm really looking for something smaller.
Besides it will sit in the driveway and if I get a big car the Mrs will back into it, she has trouble getting past the daughters Corolla as it is.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM   #29
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Fair enough,

Some interesting dimensions off Redbook. The Magna is surprisingly long compared to the 380 and about 9.5cm shorter than a Falcon. The Falcon is about 8cm wider than the Magna but less than 2 cm higher (roof to roof). When you pull the ruler out and hold it in front of you, the Falcon isn't a whole lot bigger really, unless you are in a position where every CM counts. It's surprise how big 'small' cars are these days. In terms of cost, i had an LPG XR6T which was cheaper to run than my mates 4 cylinder Camry yet thrashed him for power

------------------->Falcon 380 Magna
Kerb Weight (kg)--->1704 1625 1509
Tare Mass (kg)----->1660 1582 1464
Wheel Base (mm)--->2838 2750 2722
Length (mm)------->4955 4837 4860
Width (mm)-------->1868 1840 1785
Height (mm)------->1453 1480 1435
Track Front (mm)-->1583 1570 1545
Track Rear (mm)--->1598 1570 1535

Anyhow, not trying to convince you, just throwing it out there.

Buy the Falcon...you know you waannnttttt tooooooo :P
Old 11-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #30
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Fair enough,

Some interesting dimensions off Redbook. The Magna is surprisingly long compared to the 380 and about 9.5cm shorter than a Falcon. The Falcon is about 8cm wider than the Magna but less than 2 cm higher (roof to roof). When you pull the ruler out and hold it in front of you, the Falcon isn't a whole lot bigger really, unless you are in a position where every CM counts. It's surprise how big 'small' cars are these days. In terms of cost, i had an LPG XR6T which was cheaper to run than my mates 4 cylinder Camry yet thrashed him for power

------------------->Falcon 380 Magna
Kerb Weight (kg)--->1704 1625 1509
Tare Mass (kg)----->1660 1582 1464
Wheel Base (mm)--->2838 2750 2722
Length (mm)------->4955 4837 4860
Width (mm)-------->1868 1840 1785
Height (mm)------->1453 1480 1435
Track Front (mm)-->1583 1570 1545
Track Rear (mm)--->1598 1570 1535

Anyhow, not trying to convince you, just throwing it out there.

Buy the Falcon...you know you waannnttttt tooooooo :P
good post

that 195kg makes a hell of a difference but, i couldnt fault my solara and would take another one over a BA XT in a heartbeat as a family runabout