Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default The AU audio thread - ideas, products and advice.

Started this thread after a bit of discussion in another thread about what audio options exist (and work) for AU falcons.

Whilst I can only put forward suggestions and ideas from my own experience and thoughts, I invite everybody who has an AU and has put a stereo in one to contribute.

Mine will concentrate on utes as both AU's I've had (previous and current) are utes, but some of the products/ideas will no doubt flow over to be able to be used on sedans.

Headunit

Few simple thoughts - for me it has to be easy to use, good looking, functional and affordable. Probably asking for a bit too much but based on those goals I am looking at an Alpine unit.

Links to all major brands and what headunits they make:

Alpine:

http://alpine.com.au/showProduct.php?pid=5

Pioneer:

http://www.pioneer.com.au/en/Product...20Players.aspx

Clarion:

http://clarion.com/au/en/products/20...nit/index.html

More brands exist but those are probably the main ones most people will look at.

A few points to remember with headunits:

Your stock headunit is prone to breaking, jamming CD's and has no RCA outputs. Keep this in mind if you intend on retaining it, BUT dont write it off. It looks good, it's meant to be there, the dash is moulded around it, and an in dash 6 stack is pretty convenient.

If you change the headunit to an aftermarket one, your steering wheel controls won't work without the use of one of these:

http://www.thecat.net.au/cat10.htm

One of these is about $300 and it allows you to use the factory controls.

If you change to a single DIN unit, you will need one of these:

http://www.aerpro.com.au/p.php?pcode=FP9040

Available in black, grey, and Aerpro also do one that goes right around the headunit:

http://www.aerpro.com.au/p.php?pcode=FP9140

DNA Audio also do similar products and all of these are available at any Autobarn store (I work at one) or any good car audio store.

Speakers:

Stock AU size is 5x7, depending on the level of audio system your car/ute has you may have tweeters in the A pillars, sub in the parcel shelf etc. Stock sub in the rear of sedans is 8" - and it ain't very good.

Few options you have:

Alpine:

http://alpine.com.au/showProduct.php?pid=10

Pioneer:

http://www.pioneer.com.au/Products/C.../Speakers.aspx

Clarion:

http://clarion.com/au/en/products/20...ers/index.html

Kenwood's site won't let me link direct to the page but kenwood.com.au

Rockford Fosgate:

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/produ...s.asp?cat_id=3

Infinity:

http://www.c-t.com.au/infinity/car-products

Other brands available but I haven't linked to include:

Hertz
Option Audio
Eclipse Audio

Probably more that I don't know about!

A few points to remember with speakers:

Your stock size is 5x7 but you can get adaptors to change that to anything from 6x9 through to 6 or 6.5". BUT remember that if you do end up using adaptors, you need to be sure that you have enough clearance to allow your windows to go up and down and fit past the mounting depth of the speaker (which could change depending on how thick your adaptor is).

Some adaptors available:

http://aerpro.com.au/list.php?cat_no...rs&cat_sno=242

http://dnaaudio.com.au/index.php?s=s...=0&search=FORD

The stock headunit can run most speakers providing you dont change the wattage etc, and for the most part this setup (stock headunit and aftermarket speakers) will probably give you a noticable improvement in sound quality and depth. If you really want to go far with it or increase volume, thats when you would look at an amplifier.

Tweeters are the small bits in the middle of the speaker that handle the higher frequencies and you can get speakers that have them built in all as one unit (1 way splits), or you can get them that have the tweeter as a seperate unit (known as 2 or 3 way splits). This is handy if you have tweeters in the A pillar because it means you can mount your speakers in the door, and have your tweeters in the factory position - and retain the factory wiring.

More to come.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Top post this one.. I will be watching this real closely.

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:21 PM   #3
Venomous1
5.0 means business

I have a Ute.

Went 6.5" Pioneer splits with the tweeters in factory pillars.
MDF for spacers sprayed black fits perfect.

Single din Pioneer radio with the Aeropro pocket in the back location 2-way 6".
And to top of a Amp and a 12" Sub in between the seats I have some pics I'll chuck up soon.

Btw this is what I would call REAL premium sound.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Nice one Austin. I can highly recommend the Aerpro FP9140 facia kit - makes any headunit look factory.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
Donny

Some pics of the 2 Aerpro kits fitted would sure be handy..

Old 08-12-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Areopro pocket with my old setup.

Now I have a stock 6 stacker in dash out of a fairlane with premium audio fitted.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build

Last edited by bartsau; 08-12-2010 at 07:35 PM.
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
Areopro pocket with my old setup.

Now I have a stock 6 stacker in dash out of a fairlane with premium audio fitted.
Now that is the kind of look Id be happy with.. I had seen an install on another car I looked at which only had the bottom bit of the pocket, not the top bit, and it didnt look anywhere near as nicely fitted..

Old 08-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

I have a kenwood DDX8034BT touchscreen in the dash with everything else stock at the moment as i am still deciding how far to go with the audio system.
This is the one http://www.lifestylestore.com.au/pro...rs/DDX-8034BT/

Last edited by greenguzzler; 08-12-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #9
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a good thread ,thx b2tf, i can`t add much but i put a fairly basic single din unit in last year, its not super flash (but good enough for a tone deaf old fart), but it has one feature that i reckon is the bees knees ........USB capability, i load music onto a usb stick via the PC and WALLA!!! no more bloody cd`s.
the only bad thing about my unit with the usb is its on the front of the unit , so you have to be a little carefull not to damage the unit or if reaching around without looking, my young brother pointed this out when i first got it (smart ***), he said and i concur a better way of having the usb port would be on the back of the unit with an extension cable fitted/cable tied any were you want it, if the plug wears out or some how gets damaged its just another cable.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:14 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
a good thread ,thx b2tf, i can`t add much but i put a fairly basic single din unit in last year, its not super flash (but good enough for a tone deaf old fart), but it has one feature that i reckon is the bees knees ........USB capability, i load music onto a usb stick via the PC and WALLA!!! no more bloody cd`s.
the only bad thing about my unit with the usb is its on the front of the unit , so you have to be a little carefull not to damage the unit or if reaching around without looking, my young brother pointed this out when i first got it (smart ***), he said and i concur a better way of having the usb port would be on the back of the unit with an extension cable fitted/cable tied any were you want it, if the plug wears out or some how gets damaged its just another cable.
Can I just say that this (bold bit) is a brilliant thing to have. My old AU, I had an Alpine unit that had rear USB, all I did was bought an extension USB cord from Officeworks, drilled a hole in the fitting fascia and popped it through so the USB was sitting in the ashtray - totally stock looking, no cords hanging out anywhere and 500+ songs on tap with not a CD in sight. Brilliant idea that I will be doing again.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
greenguzzler
V8 AU Fairlane

Yep i agree i have my ipod cable and usb cable in the glove box but i may move them into the centre console and have it look OEM. Has anyone bought a CAT 10 for the steering wheel buttons to work. Some info on them would be great.
greenguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #12
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenguzzler
Yep i agree i have my ipod cable and usb cable in the glove box but i may move them into the centre console and have it look OEM. Has anyone bought a CAT 10 for the steering wheel buttons to work. Some info on them would be great.
www.thecat.net.au
Old 08-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #13
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

myself i purchased (for my previous vehicle)

a rather factory looking source unit, that has all the good features and power you want. Personally, i dont like the look of single din + pocket, and for that reason i went with a double din unit.

This looked perfect in my old vehicle, but with the contour of the dash fascia on the au, its going to need some custom work... i removed the front of my old 6 stacker and attempted a hack up job to get an idea if its possible... it is. I think im going to buy the aerpro single din fascia unit and modify it by removing the pocket with a dremel, and sanding the cuts down....

it will be a difficult little process that will require alot of forethought and accuracy, but i think i can pull it off.. and i have the factory CD face to use as a guide now...

this is the unit i have.
CLARION DUZ386MP

CD/MP3/AUX/REAR USB/IPOD etc etc... and it has a very stealth look to it.

i also bought a s/h cat10 unit off ebay, which i believe is dead. i havent had time to fault find it yet, but im almost certain its wired correctly.

As the ute has quite a small sound stage, ill probably just purchse some splits in the future, but the boosted power of the headunit to the stock speakers is just for now.

ill post an update about the fascia in the new year.
Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 AM   #14
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the cat10 is a great invention but it is hideously overpriced - it should only be about $40 or so. I seem to remember that there was perhaps some alpine head unit that was able to interface natively with the steering wheel audio controls?
Old 09-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
Donny

Funny, I always considered Alpine gear hideously overpriced for what it is too..

Old 09-12-2010, 01:59 AM   #16
Day-mow
rexnet

i've found alpine gear amazing. if you have an after market deck andthen put an alpine deck in i think you'll notice quite a difference.
in the way of going stock head deck and after market speakers. personally i'd suggest going the other way. a good after market head deck really makes the speakers come alive.

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #17
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

DAC
Try this, alot cheaper than the cat.
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:40 PM   #18
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
DAC
Try this, alot cheaper than the cat.
When I was looking for sw controls I had a look at a Commodore with the PAC unit installed. I found the delay from button press to action to be very frustrating. It may have been just that installation or they may have improved in the last couple of years but I didn't buy one based on that experience.

There was another option from "No Limits" at around $120 (in late 07). I just had a quick look on their website http://www.nolimitelectronics.com.au but couldn't find any info there. IIRC I emailed them at the time for info and they got back with price etc.

In the event I bought a CAT09 which pegged out after 11 months and was cheerfully exchanged by JB Hifi for a CAT10.
So far, so good
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #19
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
When I was looking for sw controls I had a look at a Commodore with the PAC unit installed. I found the delay from button press to action to be very frustrating. It may have been just that installation or they may have improved in the last couple of years but I didn't buy one based on that experience.

There was another option from "No Limits" at around $120 (in late 07). I just had a quick look on their website http://www.nolimitelectronics.com.au but couldn't find any info there. IIRC I emailed them at the time for info and they got back with price etc.

In the event I bought a CAT09 which pegged out after 11 months and was cheerfully exchanged by JB Hifi for a CAT10.
So far, so good
New update to software has apparently removed the lag. As stated on their site anyway. I will find out first hand on Saturday when I install one in the TE
:
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
New update to software has apparently removed the lag. As stated on their site anyway. I will find out first hand on Saturday when I install one in the TE
That sounds better. Let us know how it goes. Always good to know what options are available.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

double post sorry
:
Old 09-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #22
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Here is a pic of my HU in the Aerpro fascia. Worth the $25 for it. Makes it look so much neater than the bottom pocket.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 04:13 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Good thread..I have been thinking about doing something with mine as the ipod and FM transmitter is giving me the poo's.

So single vs double DIN, are they any good double DINS that suit the AU? Its hard with the shape of the fascia..is that why everyone went with a single?

Having the fairmont the only reason I haven't changed is because the factory unit looks good. Supercheap and Autocrap had some decent double DINS for sale in the least cateloge for $280ish I think. While I know the other brands are better, im not really after super quality, just something that does USB and suits the look of the car.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
ronwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
So single vs double DIN, are they any good double DINS that suit the AU? Its hard with the shape of the fascia..is that why everyone went with a single?
I bought one of the ebay double din dvd/tv/gps/touch screen/all singing/all dancing units and must say the picture (watching dvd) was brilliant. The sound was crap.
There was a reason (I can't rem what) that I couldn't hook it up to my amp and the drop in sound quality through its own preamp was too big a price to pay for something which wouldn't get a lot of use (the visuals, that is).

The other problem was that I really didn't like the way the bottom protruded past the dash. Kumineko made a surround for his that was brilliant but not being that talented plus the sound q made me opt for a reasonable single din unit.
blackers10 bought a Kenwood (I think) double din touch screen at the same time I did and iirc he was very happy with all aspects of it.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:40 PM   #25
hendoau99
app diesel mechanic

i put a clarion hu with aux/ipod compatibility in my au, still running stock speakers but the hu has loads of settings and i played around and it's made the 5x7's 10x better than when i had the original tape deck in. i'm buying a kenwood sub and amp next week and wont be changing the speakers. great thread because i don't know much about car audio and owning an au it's going to be very helpful.
hendoau99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #26
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

In my AU ute I had two setups...

First one was a JVC DVD with 7.5" screen, standard 5x7"s, 1 4 channel Kenwood amp and 1 12" Kenwood sub. Even with the standard 5x7"s amped the sub would still overpower them.

Second time round I ditched the DVD and went with a Kenwood CD unit (at the time was about $500), replaced the front speakers with 6" component splits (mounted with 10mm spacer) in behind the door trim, and had got hold of some A Pillar covers with the tweeter grill so that's where they went, bought another 2 channel amp and a second 12" Kenwood sub the same as the first one. That setup was a hell of alot better than the first time round.

If I can remember the brand of the 6" component splits I'll post it up.
Old 15-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #27
Bobman
Regulator

Also, some head units keep the electric antenna raised even with a CD in due to the wiring on them.

I have a Clarion HU and just disconnected the antenna wiring so it stays in it's hole.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2010, 09:13 AM   #28
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
Also, some head units keep the electric antenna raised even with a CD in due to the wiring on them.

I have a Clarion HU and just disconnected the antenna wiring so it stays in it's hole.
Yes Pioneers do this. Donny did yours do it when you put it in?
Old 16-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
Donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Yes Pioneers do this. Donny did yours do it when you put it in?
I didnt have a problem with this on mine..
On the wires out the back, apart from the usuals, there wasnt a seperate feed for electric ariels, only a illumination feed for dropping brightness when you turn on dash lights and a mute feed for a mobile phone hands free.
I tried the radio reception in the garage while wiring speakers up and its ok with the head deck out of the dash, and lousy with it fitted (ariel down), but I dont care about that as I never listen to the radio anyway, I only use CD's..

Bout the only other thing I may have to look at is the Aerpro kit dosent sit in the dash as tight or firm as Id have liked. You can wiggle it around a little, and I will see once I go out for a drive if it makes any noises or rattles etc.. I didnt put that thread bit and rubber boot thing on at the back either, and that may also help the fit and movement issue some.
The screw head mounting the headunit to the mount frame catches on the dash inner frame and was a bit tricky to fit too.. Apart from that, a fairly painless install compared to some Iv done in the past..

Old 16-12-2010, 02:49 PM   #30
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Bout the only other thing I may have to look at is the Aerpro kit dosent sit in the dash as tight or firm as Id have liked. You can wiggle it around a little, and I will see once I go out for a drive if it makes any noises or rattles etc.. I didnt put that thread bit and rubber boot thing on at the back either, and that may also help the fit and movement issue some.
The screw head mounting the headunit to the mount frame catches on the dash inner frame and was a bit tricky to fit too.. Apart from that, a fairly painless install compared to some Iv done in the past..
Did you go with the FP9140? Mine is perfect - doesnt move an inch.