Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Auckland , New Zealand - The Good, Bad & The Ugly

After 30 years living in Sydney and with both my and my partners kids now left home we're thinking of moving elsewhere and may even contemplate a move back to NZ.

Although originally from Wellington , Auckland has always been a city that has appealed to me, even as a kid going there for holidays in the 60's/70's

I guess the only thing not in our favour, apart from the weather, is the adverse AUD/NZ exchange rate at the moment. ($1.06) compared to what it was like when I moved here in 1984 ($1.75…ouch!). For that reason we may not sell any real estate we own in Australia yet and possibly rent for a while once we got over there.

Just after some advice from Aucklanders on the forums for some advice on

- best areas to live. The inner east and inner west as well as the north shore areas of Takapuna , Birkenhead and Northcote seem to appeal. It seems the real estate market is hot there. Suburbs like Remuera, St Heliers, Parnell and Herne Bay appeal but would probably be a tad out of our price range.

- the job market . I'm a CPA qualified accountant and work as a CFO in a professional services firm and by the look of it I may need to lower my salary expectations a bit if I moved to AKL. Not a lot of work there for folks like me it seems

- any other things good or bad about the city....cost of living etc

Cheers guys
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2015, 09:31 PM   #2
brennan.

Default Re: Auckland , New Zealand - The Good, Bad & The Ugly

Auckland is great, if you come over please bring that sweet GT with you.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:25 AM   #3
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Of course you take your car:

From here: http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/about/nzbuyer

Importing an Aussie Muscle Car into New Zealand ?
Australian sourced cars offer the New Zealand muscle car purchaser some great buying opportunities!

From the number of great quality genuine cars to choose from allowing the Kiwi buyer to source exactly what they're after, through to the current exchange rate advantages means the time has never been
better for New Zealanders to invest in your dream car.

What Do I Need To Know ?
This information is provided as a guide to buyers. We strongly recommend you obtain complete and up to date information on the importing process at http://www.ltsa.govt.nz prior to finalising the purchase of your new car. Additional customs information is available at http://www.customs.govt.nz

Before You Buy
If the vehicle to import is over 20 years of age then you can import the vehicle without any LTSA (Land Transport Safety Authority) restrictions. The vehicle will be subject to the Entry Certification process once imported (see below) to register it for use on NZ roads.

If the vehicle is less than 20 years of age then it must NZ's frontal impact requirements. The vehicle must either carry a ADR (Australian Design Rules) compliance plate to verify this, be listed on the LTSA's Front Impact Lists or require a Statement of Compliance from the vehicle's manufacturer listing the standards to which the vehicle was certified. Without this certification the vehicle will not be able to be registered for use on NZ roads.

Also note - If you can't prove that the vehicle is legally yours, you won't be able to register it for use on New Zealand roads. Original documentation relating to the sale and de-registration of the vehicle in Australia is therefore very important.

Shipping
Shipping your new car starts from around AU $500 for a 'roll on , roll off' service from the east coast of Australia to main New Zealand ports. Prices vary for delivery from greater distances or if the vehicle is to be shipped in a container. Timetabling and demand also influence pricing. Contact us for advice on your shipping needs.

On Arrival
Once your new vehicle has arrived it will need to clear at the port of entry quarantine inspection, border check and Customs clearance. Providing the vehicle is clean and tidy the MAF inspection fee will be less than NZD $100. Buyers should allow between NZD $100 , NZD $300 for miscellaneous port and other expenses.

administration charges
NZ Customs will charge GST on the full purchase price of the vehicle plus shipping costs. This should be factored when buying your new car. GST is chargeable even though the transaction has been conducted offshore and the purchase price may already incorporate a local value-added or sales tax component.

GST is normally calculated on the receipt value of the car plus the freight component. Note - where an importer supplies insufficient or unsatisfactory information, Customs may determine a value.

Getting It On The Road
The final step is to have your vehicle inspected by an Entry Certifier (such as AA Inspection or Vehicle Testing NZ). They will verify that the vehicle met the required standards (see Before You Buy), carry out an inspection to verify it is still in good condition and issues the VIN plate, Form MR2A and a new Warrant of Fitness. Form MR2A allows you to then register the vehicle for NZ roads and receive new number plates. You should budget approximately NZD $400 for this process.

If you have any questions or for AMCS to find your dream car get in touch!

Why such a hurry to buy?

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 12:20 PM   #4
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GReat info, thanks mate

Yes, If I go she'll be coming . Thank god its not a daily driver as the fuel bill would kill me..

lol
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 05-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #5
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

You hear of alot of New Zealanders coming to Australia, you dont hear of many Aussies going to NZ. Out of my 4 mates that are originally from NZ none of them want to move back. Sure they miss the place but they love the quality of living here in AUS
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
You hear of alot of New Zealanders coming to Australia, you dont hear of many Aussies going to NZ. Out of my 4 mates that are originally from NZ none of them want to move back. Sure they miss the place but they love the quality of living here in AUS
Yes I know what you mean. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky and sick of living in the rat race they call Sydney having done it for so long and get sick of taking 30 minutes to drive 5 kms out of peak hour.

As far as differences in quality of life, I'm not so sure. If you take out the climate, which is far superior in most parts of Australia, then each country has its share of good and bad.

Maybe I should move to QLD.

Old 05-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132 View Post
Yes I know what you mean. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky and sick of living in the rat race they call Sydney having done it for so long and get sick of taking 30 minutes to drive 5 kms out of peak hour.

As far as differences in quality of life, I'm not so sure. If you take out the climate, which is far superior in most parts of Australia, then each country has its share of good and bad.

Yeh totally understand, i really could never live in Sydney myself. I got stuck in traffic for 15 minutes this morning, all i kept thinking was how the hell people put up with it for 2 hours each day too and from work in Sydney and Melbourne.

I'm Australian obviously but i have visited NZ a few times and absolutely loved it. Nice slow pace. Don't move to QLD, it's too hot. I lasted 13 years there and only because i had to.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Don't move to QLD, it's too hot. I lasted 13 years there and only because i had to.
No such thing as too hot!

People in the ACT would think Tas was too hot
Old 05-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Maybe instead of heading back to NZ go look at some rural towns maybe up to 100km or so out of the capital cities, decently priced land/house packages and a slower lifestyle out regional then in the cities but still within reach if you need to go into the city for something.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

Be a lot cheaper coming here !! If your over the rat race stay well away from Brisvegas, Gold and Sunny Coast.......... Move further up north where you can have permanently sweaty undies and jock rash.............
Old 05-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I know of lots that are returning to NZ or planning to.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 02:39 PM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Come down South instead and live in Melbourne's rural fringe, no sweaty undies.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 03:24 PM   #13
MR REKLAW
BF XR8 Ute
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Come down South instead and live in Melbourne's rural fringe, no sweaty undies.
Just brass monkey issues
2006 BF MKII XR8 Ute,Shockwave Blue.

HERS New One Coming

Past Rides:- XD Panel Van,XE Panel van,XF Wagon,ED Wagon,BA Fairmont,LX Focus

Greetings Earthlings.
MR REKLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #14
brennan.

Don't move all the way to Auckland if you're sick of traffic, or if you do move here try and find work on the North Shore, its not as bad as it is across the bridge, then find a place to live that is close by. If you're just renting for a while then that shouldn't be a problem, there's plenty of rental options around.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auckland? More like Mumbai or Beijing.

What is the appeal, out of interest? You want to escape the rat race then you're looking at the wrong place ;)

The pros,

Weather
Job opportunities
Proximity to other areas so you can gtfo of the joint for a day/weekend - Coromandel, Bay of Islands, West Coast beaches, Rotorua/Taupo etc.

But have you seen what $5-600k will (or wont) buy within a 20km radius of the CBD...
Any further, then consider commuting times to/from CBD, or to the other side of akl before making a decision. And not just peak hour, you're pushing it if you need to go anywhere in the middle of the day, even worse on the weekends.
Yet people are falling over themselves to move there, it rates highly as one of the most liveable cities, and I'm ****** if I know why.

I do like Devonport-Takapuna-East Coast Bays, but moved from there end of 2011. Daily commute was from there to Wiri and I spent up to 3.5hrs in the car each day.
Have since bought a house in wlg city and a couple of acres rural Cambridge... for about the same price as an average ECB 4bd house. If I were to go back to my old job it would be quicker and cheaper for me to commute to Manukau from Cambridge than my old slog from the Shore (now that the Waikato expressway is going as far south as Karipiro), and in fact a lot of Aucklanders have relocated down there, and still work in akl. Undeniably better value for money and a better lifestyle, but rural/small town isn't for everyone. In that case I'd take Melbourne over Auckland anyday.

Last edited by smoo; 05-02-2015 at 06:04 PM.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #16
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post

********** aye it is
BradEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 09:29 AM   #17
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post

What is the appeal, out of interest? You want to escape the rat race then you're looking at the wrong place ;)

The pros,

Weather
Job opportunities
Proximity to other areas so you can gtfo of the joint for a day/weekend - Coromandel, Bay of Islands, West Coast beaches, Rotorua/Taupo etc.

But have you seen what $5-600k will (or wont) buy within a 20km radius of the CBD...
Any further, then consider commuting times to/from CBD, or to the other side of akl before making a decision. And not just peak hour, you're pushing it if you need to go anywhere in the middle of the day, even worse on the weekends.
Yet people are falling over themselves to move there, it rates highly as one of the most liveable cities, and I'm ****** if I know why.

I do like Devonport-Takapuna-East Coast Bays, but moved from there end of 2011. Daily commute was from there to Wiri and I spent up to 3.5hrs in the car each day.
Have since bought a house in wlg city and a couple of acres rural Cambridge... for about the same price as an average ECB 4bd house. If I were to go back to my old job it would be quicker and cheaper for me to commute to Manukau from Cambridge than my old slog from the Shore (now that the Waikato expressway is going as far south as Karipiro), and in fact a lot of Aucklanders have relocated down there, and still work in akl. Undeniably better value for money and a better lifestyle, but rural/small town isn't for everyone. In that case I'd take Melbourne over Auckland anyday.
Thanks for your post mate.

I guess my thinking was that Auckland has all the good parts that Sydney has without the bad. For example, good beaches, good for boating and water activities (as mentioned by Magpie) , reasonable climate but not with the large population that Sydney has.

Also compared to my hometown of Wellington, far superior weather (particularly wind) , easier access to international flights , better employment prospects in my area .

I didn't realise the traffic hassles were the same if not worse than here. I've done some further research and the consensus seems that Auckland public transport is pretty poor which probably explains its traffic problems as people have to rely a lot more on cars to get around . I also learned that you can't walk or catch a train over the AKL harbour bridge unlike Sydney.

I haven't been to AKL since 93 so it's probably changed a lot since then.

As for house prices being high there , having experienced the Sydney market , Auckland is cheap by comparison. I'm 23kms out of Sydney (South) and house is valued at $1.2M, so to pay $800k NZ for a place 20 kms out seems reasonable.

I like your idea of acreage in Cambridge. I took your reference to wlg to mean that you bought a place in Wellington.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #18
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

double post

Old 05-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #19
CJR09
RPO 77

yeah cant really see auck as a positive move from sydney - just rated one of the most expensive places to live in the world and traffic issues just as bad - auckland is way too spread out - sydney easier to get around

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Positives of Auckland (just of the top of my head)

North Shore & Norwest Rural lifestyle
West Coast Beaches
East Coast Beaches (polar opposite to West Coast)
Waitakere Ranges
Hauraki Gulf & Islands for sailing/boating/fishing/diving etc
Good access to Coromandel & Northland
Heaps to do cultural & sporting
Multicultural (yes that is a positive unless your a redneck)

The Shore is the best place to live & work imo, and if you work on the Shore you can live rural and have an easy commute (although that applies to the South as well).

If you have any inclination towards marine hobbies then Auckland is the best place in NZ to live bar none, followed by Tauranga.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 AM   #21
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post

The Shore is the best place to live & work imo, and if you work on the Shore you can live rural and have an easy commute (although that applies to the South as well).
Have you seen the prices in rural North Shore/Rodney?! Bloody madness and that's before comparing it to a similar property anywhere else in the country.

Hey GasOlane, no such thing as too hot you reckon... You should come truckin in the Pilbara, might have to jump in a real truck as who wants to pump the cab tilt on the old Volvo when she ***** herself in this heat.

Old 06-02-2015, 09:39 AM   #22
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about Adelaide?

Whilst I've never been, it seems like it would tick off all the items on your list.

- quieter than Sydney
- Good beaches etc
- No Sydneysiders
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
What about Adelaide?

Whilst I've never been, it seems like it would tick off all the items on your list.

- quieter than Sydney
- Good beaches etc
- No Sydneysiders
Adelaide is worth a look.
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne View Post
What about Adelaide?

- quieter than Sydney
- Good beaches etc
- No Sydneysiders
Agree with this. Been there a few times and love the place.

Just don't speed!

Have you considered Tasmania? Very nice as well, relaxed pace, clean air, beautiful scenery.

And, you would be technically moving 'overseas'....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #25
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Auckland is no where near as good as most people seem to think
Old 06-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #26
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradEL View Post
Auckland is no where near as good as most people seem to think
HI Brad. Why is that?...Just after your opinion.

Cheers

Old 06-02-2015, 11:25 AM   #27
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GT0132, you're right in that there is no pedestrian/cyclist access to the North Shore, but there is a reliable ferry service at the bottom of Queen St that services Devonport, Bayswater (near Takapuna) and Birkinhead and leaves every 15mins I think. So if you manage to get a job in the CBD then disregard mentioned traffic issues (except weekends).
Yeah I meant Wellington, and don't remind me about the wind, my utes torneau cover stitching came apart last night as the 100k or so wind got under it. Spewing. That said I prefer Wellington city to Akl.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #28
BradEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Auckland , New Zealand - The Good, Bad & The Ugly

Quote:
HI Brad. Why is that?...Just after your opinion.

Cheers

I've always lived here cause I still live at home currently, but theres lots of reasons I don't like it, I would far prefer a smaller town like Cambridge as has been mentioned already. from my perspective getting around the place is a big issue, a few years ago before I got my first car I could hardly get round on my own as public transport is so unreliable, slow, inconsistent and very expensive. Once I got my first car and started driving it was good, until I got down the road and was stuck in traffic. Always traffic in Auckland anywhere and everywhere. Traffic and road systems are very poorly designed and wherever you move to in Auckland congestion won't be far away. Also from my perspective a young guy if I want to live in Auckland I will probably be 35-40 realistically before I can buy a house. Not such a problem for you but just mt opinion. The beaches arnt great, ones close to central Auckland are dirty and polluted from the harbour, and the ones on west coast are very picturesque but so dangerous. There's some good beaches around but nothing great that's close by to town. Harbour is good though if your into boating/ fishing.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:18 AM   #29
UKXR8

I'm headed back to Auckland after 17 years in the UK.

Would rather live elsewhere in NZ, but due to work reasons I don't get a choice. Luckily my commute will be short.

Auckland house prices are insane, can't help but draw parallels with the Irish property market a few years ago. At some stage the bubble will burst and I think it could be quite messy.

That said I do look forward to not having to chip ice off my windscreen before I go to work..

2003 AU3 XR8 MANUAL

1998 EL XR6
UKXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #30
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just pick a location where the 4WD mums havn't discovered yet, that'd be the best bet. Never been to Auckland (doesn't sound as good as the adverts on T.V judging by this thread).Melbourne's CBD is basically a miniature version of Honk Kong, and even some country towns now are nothing but a shiny new supermarket with houses around it.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post