Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-01-2006, 09:18 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default January 2006 new cars sales

Well the first sales month of this year has finished earlier today and the numbers will be tallied over the next few days. Anybody care to make any predictions/guesses before the official vFacts data is released?

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2006, 09:45 PM   #2
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Falcon Freak]Well the first sales month of this year has finished earlier today and the numbers will be tallied over the next few days. Anybody care to make any predictions/guesses before the official vFacts data is released?

My prediction/guess
1) Holden Commodore 4799 units
2) Toyota Corolla 4721
3) Ford Falcon 3984

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:14 AM   #3
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
My prediction/guess
1) Holden Commodore 4799 units
2) Toyota Corolla 4721
3) Ford Falcon 3984
I'd say they will all be less. It's been a slowish month. :
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
Falcon Freak
Banned

Can't give away new cars to last weeks division 1 lottery wins type bad?

FF
Old 31-01-2006, 09:48 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

Mitsubishi 380 <1,000.

Its a shame, because it is a nice car to drive, and I would be happy to own one.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Mitsubishi 380 <1,000.

Its a shame, because it is a nice car to drive, and I would be happy to own one.
The mitsibishi dealer down the road has had a Gold & blue one on display since before Xmas they have not moved. Plus I've encounted very few on the roads.I probley would go Holden 1st as being a rear wheel large car over the 380.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #7
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

Toyota gained the top sales position in the January monthly market with 14,383 vehicle sales, ahead of Holden with 11,503 and Ford third with 7,435. Toyota, with a market share of 20.5%, starts the year as market leader. Holden's January result sees it in second position with a market share of 16.4%, with Ford's market share of 10.6% placing it third. Mazda, with sales of 5,384 and with a market share of 7.7%, hold fourth position. Honda achieved 4,751 vehicle sales in January and with a share of 6.8%, is in fifth place ahead of Nissan, on 5.8% market share.

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 01:31 PM   #8
Donut King
Officially Unemployed!

further digging puts locally manufactured cars at the following:
holden: 5541
ford: 4776
toyota: 2153
mitsubishi: 815

things still not looking good for the 380...

Donut King is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
PETE_XR6

I think it's going to be a tough year and i hate to say it but Mitsubishi's won't last much longer if sales don't pick up

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...reject-aussie-
cars/2006/02/03/1138836409193.html

Sales of Australian-made cars have slumped as the shift towards smaller vehicles continued in January.

After Mitsubishi's move to cut 250 jobs in Adelaide in a response to disappointing demand, official auto industry sales figures today showed demand for Australian built vehicles fell 20 per cent last month.

The slide came in a total market which rose 0.4 per cent as the shift towards smaller, more fuel efficient, cars continued.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) said today 13,285 locally made vehicles were retailed last month compared to 16,648 in January last.

At the same time demand for imports jumped from 53,065 to 56,718.

The FCAI said the total market was up from 69,713 in January last year to 70,003 last month.

The result prompted the chamber to set the full year market forecast at 980,000 vehicles, just below last year's record 988,269.

FCAI chief executive Peter Sturrock said the trend towards smaller cars, which emerged last year, had continued in January.

"Last year the significant growth was in the small car segment and now it appears the light car segment is benefiting from the same downsizing sentiment among consumers," Mr Sturrock said.

"We're off to a good start in 2006 after four years of strong and sustained growth.

"The rate of growth in January is a good guide to the realistic expectation of the industry in 2006."

But the industry will be hoping for a turnaround for local car makers.

Sales of Ford's Australian-made vehicles fell 23 per cent last month, for Holden the dip was 14 per cent, for Mitsubishi 20 per cent and for Toyota 27 per cent with its result made to look worse by a decision to temporarily stop production of the Avalon large car last year.

Significantly Mitsubishi could only find 719 buyers for its new 380 sedan in January, well below the 2,500 it was hoping for each month.

Demand for Ford's Territory crossover car also appeared to have peaked with sales down almost 25 per cent.

Overall, Toyota was the top selling car company last month with 14,383 units, ahead of Holden on 11,503 and Ford on 7,435.

Mazda did best among the importers with 5,384 units while Mitsubishi slumped to eighth place, outsold by Mazda, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai.

Despite a slide in demand for its locally built vehicles, Holden still had the top selling car in January with Commodore sales hitting 3,551 compared to 3,212 for the Toyota Corolla and 2,630 for the Mazda 3.

Other leading sellers were the Ford Falcon (2,621), the Toyota Camry (2,142), the Hyundai Getz (1,906), the Toyota Yaris (1,833), the Holden Astra (1,767), the Honda CRV (1,501) and the Honda Accord (1,407).

The top selling cars and car companies in Australia in January.

Cars:

Holden Commodore 3,551

Toyota Corolla 3,212

Mazda 3 2,630

Ford Falcon 2,621

Toyota Camry 2,142

Hyundai Getz 1,906

Toyota Yaris 1,833

Holden Astra 1,767

Honda CRV 1,501

Honda Accord 1,407

Companies:

Toyota 14,383

Holdan 11,503

Ford 7,435

Mazda 5,384

Honda 4,751

Nissan 4,065

Hyundai 3,595

Mitsubishi 3,592

Subaru 2,711

Kia 1,562

- AAP

Email Print Normal font Large font
PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 06:31 PM   #10
RATT

I think these figures reflect how retail sales would be. Both Ford and Holden will struggle without the fleets. Heck Mazda3 outsold Falcon, and Corolla may even catch Commodore.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 11:05 PM   #11
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATT
I think these figures reflect how retail sales would be. Both Ford and Holden will struggle without the fleets. Heck Mazda3 outsold Falcon, and Corolla may even catch Commodore.
METALLICA!!!! :sm_headba
Old 03-02-2006, 06:40 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

and people still buy commy's...why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you Dave Hughes!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #13
gmhdriver
Banned

2621, that's got to be the lowest monthly sales figure in the falcon's history, although admittedly January is traditionally a slow month.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 08:06 PM   #14
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
and people still buy commy's...why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn you Dave Hughes!
I agree. Most journalists put the BF ahead of the VZ yet the car buying public keep buying VZs. I believe if you put the Holden badge on a piece of turd the average Aussie ocker would still buy one as 'it is Australian mate!" I really question the intelligence of these people.

As to the local industry, as a whole it was 20% down on January 2005 while imports grew significantly. Less than 1 in 5 cars sold last month were manufactured locally. A very bad sign.

RATT - what is the public interest in the e-gas option like? Do you get many enquires or sell many dedicated LPG vehicles? Is the demand increasing for these vehicles?

FF
Old 03-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
I agree. Most journalists put the BF ahead of the VZ yet the car buying public keep buying VZs. I believe if you put the Holden badge on a piece of turd the average Aussie ocker would still buy one as 'it is Australian mate!" I really question the intelligence of these people.

As to the local industry, as a whole it was 20% down on January 2005 while imports grew significantly. Less than 1 in 5 cars sold last month were manufactured locally. A very bad sign.

RATT - what is the public interest in the e-gas option like? Do you get many enquires or sell many dedicated LPG vehicles? Is the demand increasing for these vehicles?

FF
Demand has increased massively for E Gas vehicles. At least doubled, maybe even tripled.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #16
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Demand has increased massively for E Gas vehicles. At least doubled, maybe even tripled.
Well Ford should offer this option on more models, not just the poverty pack Falcons.

FF
Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Well Ford should offer this option on more models, not just the poverty pack Falcons.

FF
:
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #18
gmhdriver
Banned

Quote:
I agree. Most journalists put the BF ahead of the VZ yet the car buying public keep buying VZs.
How many people actually read these views? And most that to probably take them for a grain of salt anyway. I don't disagree with the BF being judged ahead of the VZ in some areas, I just think the difference is not as large as it is made out to be.

Quote:
I believe if you put the Holden badge on a piece of turd the average Aussie ocker would still buy one as 'it is Australian mate!" I really question the intelligence of these people.
I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with it at all, it is more of a perception that anything else. For people that are after a large sedan with value for money, Holden and Ford are the first choice. I doubt that what you are implying even crosses most Commodore buyers minds..
I think what it comes down to is many satisfied Commodore owners coming back to buy another one when it's time to upgrade.
gmhdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #19
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
I don't disagree with the BF being judged ahead of the VZ in some areas, I just think the difference is not as large as it is made out to be.
Some areas? Pretty much every area
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

How can Mitsubishi survive. They said in the paper today they will just try to ride out the storm, but in reality they are so far away from their target they would be losing millions every month. You can't sell less than half of your break even point and survive for very long at all. Not discounting is going to kill them in the short term as Ford and Holden are discounting the ИИИИ out of their cars, Mitsubishi can't compete as they are already overpriced and reluctant to discount. What can they do, surely they are doomed.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #21
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhdriver
How many people actually read these views? And most that to probably take them for a grain of salt anyway. I don't disagree with the BF being judged ahead of the VZ in some areas, I just think the difference is not as large as it is made out to be.

I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with it at all, it is more of a perception that anything else. For people that are after a large sedan with value for money, Holden and Ford are the first choice. I doubt that what you are implying even crosses most Commodore buyers minds..
I think what it comes down to is many satisfied Commodore owners coming back to buy another one when it's time to upgrade.
Nah, I think it might have more to do with the massive discounts Holden are offering at the moment. We might see a shift when the VE comes out as Holden won't be at the end of the platform cycle and will thus not be able to discount as much. Ford can't discount on the BF at the moment because they have to recoup their costs on the BF upgrade, as well as they are a new customer to ZF, and are unlikely to receive serious discounts. Perhaps on the BF2 when they make the ZF standard across more of the range ZF may give them a better discount based on volume, and allow a little wiggle room in pricing and or equipment.

Holden will be in the same position in terms of pricing as ford is now once the VE comes out; that is they won't have much room for discounts.

I should add that you can say what you like about Holden and Ford, but at the end of the day they are businesses and as such will pull out all the stops to sell the superseded model/s. Holden marketing are very clever, as they have tapped into the patriotic emotion and have also bombarded the media with advertising. Maybe ford should take a lesson here from the obvious professionals at marketing.

Quote: