Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Melbourne Storm stripped of premierships

Storm stripped of Premierships

NRL boss David Gallop has announced Melbourne Storm will be stripped of the 2007 and 2009 Premierships, the Minor Premierships of 2006-8 and of its 2010 competition points after confirming a series of salary cap breaches amounting to at least $1.7million over five years.

Storm chief executive Matt Hansen and chairman Rob Moodie were informed of the ruling earlier this afternoon at NRL headquarters in Sydney.

The reigning premiers were title favourites this morning sat fourth on the NRL ladder after four wins and two losses.

The club will lose all competition points earned to date in 2010 and also the right to accumulate points going forward in 2010. Competition tables will record wins and losses but the club will not be awarded competition points on the basis of any wins.

The club has furthermore been fined $500,000 and will be forced to return $1.1million in prize-money which will be distributed evenly among the other fifteen clubs.

Individual awards by players will continue to be recognised but records will be adjusted to show that the Premiership is not recognised even though the result cannot be overturned. Neither Manly nor Parramatta will assume the Premiership titles in their respective years.

The investigations have revealed the Storm maintained a dual contract system and the club has today confirmed that side letters promising extra payments were stored in a secret file at the home of the chief executive.

The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners.

The NRL has uncovered breaches estimated to be in excess of $1.7million over five years, around $400,000 in 2009 and with a projected breach of $700,000 in 2010.

"While the amount itself is cause for concern, the most damning indictment is the systematic attempt by persons within the club to conceal payments from the salary cap auditor and, it would now seem certain from the club’s Board and from its owners, on an ongoing basis," Gallop told a packed press conference.

"It was through this system that they were able to attract and retain some of the biggest names in rugby league.

"In doing so they have let down the game, the players and the fans of the Melbourne Storm. Clearly there were some individuals who knew what was going on and perhaps many who did not."

In 2002 Canterbury Bulldogs were stripped of 37 premiership points and were fined $500,000 for a salary cap breach, while in 2006 Auckland Warriors started the season with a four-point deficit, played out the rest of the season under a reduced salary cap and paid out a $430,000 fine.

Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

I saw this a someones Facebook status and thought it was BS, I seriously can't believe the extent that the Storm has so seriously flaunted the rules of the salary cap. Punishment fits the crime I suppose.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:48 PM   #3
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

taking nrl to victoria was always a bad idea. especially with funding from murdoch. kick them out & lets get back to the good old days.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Throw em out. That team is a joke, bunch of overpaid mercanaries, subsidised by the other NRL clubs. Only one local player, joke.

I always thought they were shonky, how could they possbily afford that team under the cap. They should be stripped of their franchise and have it given to a passionate Rugby League heartland like the Central Coast or Central QLD.

Even give Parra the '09 premiership, they deserve it and thats coming from a Knights fan.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

I knew something was up when the four bets were placed last night on the reigning premiers becoming wooden spooners. We (in the Shire) all know that the Sharks couldn't get off the wooden spoon position by themselves.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As a storm fan i'm shattered, no points for the year and possibly next year because the must be under for next years season and if they cant more penalties.

Must be the bigget scandal in aussie sport.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #7
rodderz

I'll still go fro the storm, but those responsible need to face the full force of the law, considering it's a huge tax and fraud case. Even players could face charges. Sponsors could seek compensation, plus the new stadium is opening soon with the storm being the major drawcard there. But with the rest of the season being a nonevent for them, who's gonna go?

Will be interesting to see what the list will look like in 2011. I reckon a Vic team is good for NRL to spread it's wings, sometimes too many local clubs can make it hard long term.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
exdubbleya

Nothing good will come from this. How could it take the NRL 5 years to find this? What motivation will the storm players now have for the rest of the year? Honestly, how does Gallup ever sleep at night?
exdubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdubbleya
Honestly, how does Gallup ever sleep at night?
He didn't commit fraud to help his team win . This was systemic deception that was well hidden and has brought the game into disrepute, is this not grounds for expulsion from the NRL??? This could get rid of the bye as well as teaching other teams that blatant fraud will not be tolerated

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

I was told not to long ago that NSW and Qld clubs did not want Storm to be part of the league anymore and I gather these trumped up charges and allegations and the over the top penalty is the beginning of the end for Melbourne Storm. Rubgy League in Australia will suffer with no Storm, less supporters, this in turn will mean less money. League though is already playing second fiddle to AFL and as an AFL fan it does not really bother me.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
I was told not to long ago that NSW and Qld clubs did not want Storm to be part of the league anymore and I gather these trumped up charges and allegations and the over the top penalty is the beginning of the end for Melbourne Storm. Rubgy League in Australia will suffer with no Storm, less supporters, this in turn will mean less money. League though is already playing second fiddle to AFL and as an AFL fan it does not really bother me.
The only good to come of this is that the new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 team will gain some traction. As a Rugby Fan, I'm not unhappy.
Old 22-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #12
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
The only good to come of this is that the new Melbourne Rebels Super 15 team will gain some traction. As a Rugby Fan, I'm not unhappy.
The melbourne rebels may get abit of disruption out of this as their ceo Brian Waldren is the former storm ceo who is being named as the allegded architect of this fraud.
Old 22-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #13
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Hmm ?? Trouble is there new CEO was very much a part of Storms troubles...

Yes R/R fan too...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Hmm ?? Trouble is there new CEO was very much a part of Storms troubles...

Yes R/R fan too...
Yes, I overlooked this fact, but truth be told, CEOs aren't all that hard to find, and they have a very good Ex-CEO from Perth ready and waiting to take the Rebels over.

The ARU and SANZAR have their heads screwed on, and The Rebels' books will be scrutinised. The Rebels still have very few big name players, and the SANZAR's salary rules are slightly different to the ARL's.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:41 PM   #15
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
I gather these trumped up charges
After hearing details I take back this statement. Now the question is whether the punishment is fair.
Old 22-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #16
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
After hearing details I take back this statement. Now the question is whether the punishment is fair.
I do belive all the punishment hasn't been handed out yet.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:22 PM   #17
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351
I do belive all the punishment hasn't been handed out yet.....
Yeah, a big can of worms has been opened.

Last edited by Redrum; 22-04-2010 at 10:25 PM. Reason: because my night shift brain if full of typos
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #18
djrice
the burgerman

boooooo to the storm kick me out or rename them :
djrice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 08:25 PM   #19
djrice
the burgerman

boooo the storm always someone has to spoil our great game now melbourne wont have a good nrl team that sucks
djrice is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rubgy League in Australia will suffer with no Storm, less supporters,

You are kidding aren't you?

the only reason they were able to get the crowds they did was because they were winning, we all know now how they did that.

When they weren't winning they were lucky to get 5-7000 people at a game.

I know Melbourne is a AFL town but those figures are still dismal for a one team city
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
Melbourne is a AFL town
There you go, just answered your own statement.

Talking about losing sports, I hope Soccer is next.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #22
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
There you go, just answered your own statement.

Why would you hope that? Surly as an Australian you would love to see our national team be competative in the only game that the whole world actually plays??? :
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #23
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
That's crap. The A-League is great to watch.
Unlike AFL (which I love to death!), I can go to an A-League match with many of my friends and follow the same team.
The A-League is a family-friendly environment that makes the old NSL look like a sub-standard competition.

I did not care much for the sport, but the A-League has made the sport great to watch. Sure, it's not as good as the international leagues but given the money spent, it's good enough, and great to get out of the house.

Coming up to my fourth season as a member, and I bloody enjoy it!

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 10:28 PM   #24
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
You are kidding aren't you?

the only reason they were able to get the crowds they did was because they were winning, we all know now how they did that.

When they weren't winning they were lucky to get 5-7000 people at a game.

I know Melbourne is a AFL town but those figures are still dismal for a one team city
I would be interested to see what the average crowd is at any NRL game, because what they show on tv, looks like they get bugger all. If the franchise is successful, which it was, then it promotes the sport to a new audience. Melbourne is AFL mad and to get even 7000 people to a game when they are losing, shows they are doing well. I personally don't think NRL is anywhere near as successful as the AFL, but as I don't know any facts, do not know this for certain.
Old 22-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #25
robbyg
72xa

Its about time they were caught out, everyone i know were always bewilded how they could keep some of their players, im not a parra supporter but they must feel a bit cheated from last years effort and i suppose other teams and their supporters.
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #26
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilino
The accounts were structured in such a way that it would appear the commitments were not apparent to either the Melbourne Storm Board or its owners.
Clearly there were some individuals who knew what was going on and perhaps many who did not."
Presumably those who knew of the breach included many of the players...
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #27
xa_boy

they have always been over the slary cap just get them out of the comp. Why should they be in it if they are going to came last ?
Old 22-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rugny League has always been a joke and will always be a joke. It started with super league debarkle, and as for a national competition, why bother. League will never succeed outside of QLD and NSW. It failed in SA, failed in WA and is now going to fail in VIC. Fair enough the club has done the wrong thing, but killing those premierships and now killing them this season, what incentive do the players have in training and playing and giveing fans great entertainment.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:25 PM   #29
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

for the love of..

all i had was collingwood and the storm.

i loved the storm.

collingwood i abandoned years ago for obvious reasons

now this? haha. This is the first time sports news has ever made me upset
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth
for the love of..

all i had was collingwood and the storm.

i loved the storm.

collingwood i abandoned years ago for obvious reasons

now this? haha. This is the first time sports news has ever made me upset
me too just insert Melbourne demons though.
I watched the matty johs show last night and wanted to kick the effing screen in listening to those moronic rants by there guests,
Melbourne Storm has reinvigorated the sport for thousands of fans and got over a couple of MILLION Victorians and others watching and understanding the game ,
Do any of you QLD NSW spectators/fans actually believe your own crap about salary cap rorts.GROW UP. most teams who can afford it have been doing it they just have not been caught yet.
As for Melbourne Storm ,you imbeciles. fancy getting caught out.and admitting to it, why on earth did someone not burn the second set of books the moment you knew someone was looking. like im sure other NRL teams have done in the past and will frantically be doing this very day.

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 23-04-2010 at 09:18 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post