Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation BMW Z4 ad banned for 'hoon behaviour'

BMW Z4 ad banned for 'hoon behaviour'
Article from: Herald Sun

June 29, 2009 09:43am

LUXURY car manufacturer BMW has been left in a spin after its new "artistic" TV ad was banned for encouraging hoon driving.

The Herald Sun reports Australia's advertising watchdog outlawed the ad for a BMW convertible because driving stunts shown in the clip would break Australian road rule laws.

The ad features the BMW Z4 coupe creating a giant artwork in a warehouse by driving with painted tyres, and includes the vehicle spinning its wheels and skidding.

The clip, which has been used around the world, was made by artist Robin Rhode and famed film director Ridley Scott's son, Jake.

The ad sparked a backlash; one viewer told the Advertising Standards Bureau and Channel 9 the clip "would encourage car hoons to spin and burn their tyres".

The watchdog banned the ad on the basis it depicted illegal driving.

"The board noted that the advertisement does depict in a number of places the driver intentionally allowing the wheels of the car to lose traction and perform ... a four-wheel drift," the bureau's judgment said.

BMW hit back, claiming it was art, not hooning.

"We believe the audience can distinguish between fantasy and reality," a statement from BMW to the board said.

When some people gonna get a life ?????? Their is nothing wrong with the ad.

Old 29-06-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"We believe the audience can distinguish between fantasy and reality," a statement from BMW to the board said.

Pretty much sums it up really.

Minority making Australians look bloody stupid.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if thats their case what are they going to go for next. V8 SUPERCARS ?
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick robb
if thats their case what are they going to go for next. V8 SUPERCARS ?
Topgear!
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The purpose of advertising is to encourage a behavior - usually a product choice, so as advertising is encouraging us to "do things" lets just ban it outright. We are influenced to do things all the time by peers by family by advertising by television by telemarketers the list goes on and on - an advertisement for a car making a pretty picture is maybe .0000001% of the influences we are all bombarded with everyday think about it really......

Great work removing .0000001% of pressure to behave badly - job well done

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
The purpose of advertising is to encourage a behavior - usually a product choice, so as advertising is encouraging us to "do things" lets just ban it outright. We are influenced to do things all the time by peers by family by advertising by television by telemarketers the list goes on and on - an advertisement for a car making a pretty picture is maybe .0000001% of the influences we are all bombarded with everyday think about it really......

Great work removing .0000001% of pressure to behave badly - job well done
Good idea then i wont have to watch ads :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #7
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

far out, thats pathetic, a tv ad does not encourage people to act like dicks, they can do that perfectly fine without any influence.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
bluebloodxr8
Was born with blue blood

Well it just goes to show the whole country has been infected with stupidity.
I thought WA was the only Nanny state
Old 29-06-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

yeah really pathetic. I thought it was a cool advert. Soon v8 supercars won't be allowed to broadcast because it's hooning.

I really think we need to take a stance.
Old 29-06-2009, 11:48 AM   #10
F6T
Has V8 envy

so based on that reasoning, are they going to ban us from watching rally, F1 and supercars? what a joke. seriously. and what sort of 'hoon' can afford to buy a z4 roadster anyway. stuff like this really grinds my gears.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
so based on that reasoning, are they going to ban us from watching rally, F1 and supercars? what a joke. seriously. and what sort of 'hoon' can afford to buy a z4 roadster anyway. stuff like this really grinds my gears.
Rally is a perfect example in there, they're held on public roads, guess they better stop their telecasts pronto!

What a friggen joke, first the awesome choreographed driving of the mazda mx-5's way back, now this one, and all the ones in between that were good/creative/enjoyable ads.... seriously, wake up Australia!

I guess we'll just have to put up with ads for snuggies, kitchen bench hydroponic set-ups, and 'work from home and make a fortune' ads.
Old 29-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #12
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
yeah really pathetic. I thought it was a cool advert. Soon v8 supercars won't be allowed to broadcast because it's hooning.

I really think we need to take a stance.
Look out Whincup. Lifetime ban for a victory burnout if you're not careful!

What a joke. :
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Look out Whincup. Lifetime ban for a victory burnout if you're not careful!

What a joke. :
Actually it is against rules to do burnouts in the V8SC's... they just turn a blind eye to it!

Old 29-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #14
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Actually it is against rules to do burnouts in the V8SC's... they just turn a blind eye to it!
Yeah I know, I know........ Seeing Whincup doing a victory stripe doesn't make we want to go out and match it though. We've had a couple by then anyway. We just needle each other over who won.

Apparently some don't.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #15
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This advertising censorship has been in place for many years so i'm not sure why the sudden reaction....

On a broader note lets not confuse or draw parallels with legitimate motorsport and activity on our roads, it doesn't help our case one bit.....

Old 29-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #16
F6T
Has V8 envy

Quote:
On a broader note lets not confuse or draw parallels with legitimate motorsport and activity on our roads, it doesn't help our case one bit.....
Wasn't this add performed within a wharehouse presumably within a controlled environment and with a professional driver behind the wheel.

And yes, whilst there are many idiots out there after watching their favourite motorsport immediately go out and act like they are michael schumacher on the roads (you only have to see the burn outs left at the first intersection anywhere near a 1/4 mile drag strip), I'm sure most people could distinguish this add as something a little more light hearted / arty than that.

The censhorship just goes a bit too far sometimes I think.

GTX35/82r + 82lb injectors
Nizpro 4" exhaust
Plazmaman 1000hp IC/piping/BOV/plenum
Process West surge tank
Crow springs
TEIN super streets
6/4 brembos

TUNED BY BLUEPOWER RACING
F6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
Wasn't this add performed within a wharehouse presumably within a controlled environment and with a professional driver behind the wheel.

And yes, whilst there are many idiots out there after watching their favourite motorsport immediately go out and act like they are michael schumacher on the roads (you only have to see the burn outs left at the first intersection anywhere near a 1/4 mile drag strip), I'm sure most people could distinguish this add as something a little more light hearted / arty than that.

The censhorship just goes a bit too far sometimes I think.
Totally agree, for intelligent people there is no problem, but like you say, just look at the burnouts on public roads near dragstips and circuits or behaviour of people leaving these places....
Who'd have thought someone would be stupid enough to do 190 in a 60 zone but someone did and got caught.. so lets not overestimate the mental capacity of many people...

Old 29-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #18
MAD
Petro-sexual

Is it even possible for the public to make a complaint in the opposite direction of these moronic complaints made about these types of ads, or will the consumer watchdog's guidelines need to be changed before we can get some sensibility back on our TV's?
Old 29-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Is it even possible for the public to make a complaint in the opposite direction of these moronic complaints made about these types of ads, or will the consumer watchdog's guidelines need to be changed before we can get some sensibility back on our TV's?
are you serious???? They're TV commercials... you cant "request" what you see....

Old 29-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #20
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
are you serious???? They're TV commercials... you cant "request" what you see....
I think you missed the point a bit. Not to request an ad, but to fight on the side of sensibility.
I'd just really like to see the removal of the dumbing down we have forced upon us.
Old 29-06-2009, 12:31 PM   #21
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I think you missed the point a bit. Not to request an ad, but to fight on the side of sensibility.
I'd just really like to see the removal of the dumbing down we have forced upon us.
Take it up with you local member.

Old 29-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How is it illegal though? It was performed in a warehouse not a public road. I could buy a warehouse tomorrow and do all the burnouts I wanted to and be perfectly legal. I also don't belive this particular ad encourages hoon behaviour - it was more artistic if anything
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #23
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
How is it illegal though? It was performed in a warehouse not a public road. I could buy a warehouse tomorrow and do all the burnouts I wanted to and be perfectly legal. I also don't belive this particular ad encourages hoon behaviour - it was more artistic if anything
It makes no difference where you burnout, at least in Victoria, so you could not buy a warehouse and go for broke - s65A(1) of the Road Safety Act says:

Quote:
A person must not drive a motor vehicle in a manner which causes the motor vehicle to undergo loss of traction by one or more of the motor vehicle's
wheels.
Further sub-sections go on to specifically state that sub-section (1) does not apply to certain events declared by the Minister, and to certain races/speed trials.

It might be BS, but the ad (cool as it was), was in fact depicting illegal behaviour.
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #24
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr
It might be BS, but the ad (cool as it was), was in fact depicting illegal behaviour.
No it wasn't.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 06:34 PM   #25
balthazarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
No it wasn't.
Wasn't what? Cool, or illegal?
balthazarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While we might not like the level of censorship being forced on us i think you might find that the car companies in many instances shy away from provocative driving in their ads because of image issues and associated damage to sales or reputation too..
So its not just censorship that's taming the ads, research group feedback plays a big part in what we see...

Old 29-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #27
Scott

This is absolutely ridiculous... always has been and always will be. It's not "new" to force car manufacturers to only make wussy ads but I've had a gut full of the over governance on my life.

Why the effen hell do we just sit idly by and let these wet blankets dictate the terms in which we live our ordinary lives? FFS, do-gooders and snivel libertarians need to STFU and worry about their own miserable existence and leave me the hell alone.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 01:49 PM   #28
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
This is absolutely ridiculous... always has been and always will be. It's not "new" to force car manufacturers to only make wussy ads but I've had a gut full of the over governance on my life.

Why the effen hell do we just sit idly by and let these wet blankets dictate the terms in which we live our ordinary lives? FFS, do-gooders and snivel libertarians need to STFU and worry about their own miserable existence and leave me the hell alone.
Sums it up in one, they are using a blanket solution IMO, not everyone is stupid enough to go and do this.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a disappointing reaction to what I thought was a clever ad. Maybe they should have included the caption "filmed under controlled conditions" bla bla bla.
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2009, 12:28 PM   #30
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

What do you expect, we do live in the most politicaly correct and over governed country in the world.......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post