Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 27-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
buggo
[BU66OS]

Default Buying ex-police from the auctions with factory warranty, Nothing to worry about?

Gday gents,

I'm in the market for a new car, have been browsing carsales etc and checked out the cars on offer at the auctions on the weekend.

So the biggest risk with the auctions is lack of test drive, not knowing if it's about to let go, and only have a sentence on each component. eg engine: serviceable for age.

But if it has the remainder of factory warranty still left, do I have anything to be concerned about. If the zf gearbox has had it can I just drive into a dealer, get it fixed and leave without costing a cent?

The car I'm looking at is a FG XR6 T, and for an equivalent price of private sales I can get a car with warranty, younger, less kms, brembos and well maintained. At the expense of no test drive, hard life, a few scruffs in the interior and no interior options. All can be fixed and upgraded but with time and money.

I have two cars on the shortlist ready to buy. Same colour, but one is 2008, 110,000km, but seems well looked after, a few options aswell.
Or 2010 with 40,000 less, good brakes, warranty.
Both similar price (depending if the auction stays average with previous ones)

I'm leaning towards to 2010 one.

BA XR8 Manual