Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #1
KEVSXR8

Default XR5 Dash Screen Problem

Hi All,

Last week my 2010 XR5 Focus started having trouble with the screen in between the tachometer and speedometer on the dash. Not sure what you would call this screen but its the little red one that displays the time and the remaining fuel range.

The problem is that the screen will be bright and visible one minute, then faded down so much that the screen is barely visible the next. I took it to a Ford dealer and without even seeing the problem the mechanic (or possibly the cleaner...) stated that it would need to be booked in and have the entire dash removed. This would only be a last resort for me.

I have had the battery tested and it came up as being in good health, although I know these tests are not always 100%.

Anybody heard of this happening before or have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kev

KEVSXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: XR5 Dash Screen Problem

I live in the UK and have a Focus and a Fiesta I also know the service guys in the local Ford dealer. If you want I can ask the question for you. Can you post up a pic of the screen you are refering to.
If you want you could always ring TC Harrison Ford here in Derby UK. They are very helpful. Ask for Craig I know him and he is very helpful.

Wayne
XC GXL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
KEVSXR8

Thanks Wayne, I'd appreciate that.

Here is a picture of the screen I am referring to.

Old 28-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Pretty sure it's basically referred to as an onboard trip computer screen. I just did a bit of a search on the XR5 Turbo Forum and a few of the guys have had similar issues with their cars with electrics going a bit haywire Faulty batteries were apparently the cause, and a faulty alternator on another. I know you mentioned having the battery checked and it supposedly came up OK but it might be worth trying another battery first and seeing if that helps, if not then it may well need to have the dash out to get to the screen and fix the problem :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVSXR8
Thanks Wayne, I'd appreciate that.

Here is a picture of the screen I am referring to.

I'll give Craig a call in the morning mate.

Referring to Russ's post I'll try and get a breakdown of the dash on how to pull it out. I have had the cluster out of my Fiesta (my old one a few years back) and that was easy just undid two screws (from memory) and pull the cluster from the dash surround but I'll ask anyway.

Wayne
Old 29-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Never seen a faulty one, mine occasionally will look like it's missing every second pixel but I just scroll through the screen and they come back.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

On a cold morning mine looks a bit funky, but comes good after the thing has warned up.

On a side note, CHECK OUT THE MILEAGE ON THAT TANK! (clearly a stock(ish) car hahaha)

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #8
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just spoken to Craig (he has been on leave) and he is in the workshop asking the technicians for you now mate. He is also going to scan the removal procedure and email that over so as soon as I get it I'll post it up.

Wayne

Last edited by XC GXL; 01-09-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #9
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Any chance we could have a look at that scan too?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leakey
Any chance we could have a look at that scan too?
I'll post it up mate. Probably won't get it till later on today or tomorrow.
Wayne
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Wayne. I have an XR5 dash that I ant to put in my stockie.
There's lots of info from folks on what to do, but I dont think we've ever
seen an actual diagram on it. Be good to.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:57 PM   #12
XC GXL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is Craig's response. Hope it helps.
Quote:
Hi Wayne,

Sorry I never got chance to drop those documents off over the weekend, I have attached a copy of them but they haven’t scanned very well so will post you the hard copies also.

Having spoken with my tech’s there isn’t any common faults with the display but we think we know what it may be.

If the vehicle has auto lights fitted and they are turned on whenever the lights come on (which could just be due to grey skies, driving in shadow’s / under trees that kind of thing) the dash illumination comes on, on the dash there is a small wheel that can be turned to adjust the brightness of the dash illumination when the lights are on, this can easily get turned to minimum by accident when cleaning the dashboard so every time the auto lights come on the dash will dim when they go off it will come back bright again.

If this doesn’t make sense or you require any more info let me know and I will give you a call whenever is convenient and have a chat about it.
Regards
Craig
Senior Service Advisor
T.C.Harrison Group Ltd
Tel.01332 633665
The scan is pretty poor so when I get the print I will scan it and post it up for you. I have attached it here but I will put a better copy up later mate.

Regards

Wayne

Last edited by XC GXL; 10-09-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #13
leakey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Wayne! - was the 'special tool' I really wanted to get a look at.

You can use a steel ruler or screw driver to release the tabs at the back of the instrument cluster, but it's so damn easy to make a little chip on the very edge!

This gives me a few clues as how I should go about it.
Old 17-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #14
KEVSXR8

Update: A few nights ago when I was reversing into my shed I noticed that the headlights were dimming slightly every time I let the clutch out.

Put a multimeter on the battery yesterday and the battery had 11.89V and the alternator was putting out about 14V. Does 11.89V sound like enough charge? Anybody else noticed the lights dimming when letting the clutch out? Not sure if its related to my other problem or not.
Old 17-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #15
xr8dan
It's a v8 ute

I always thought that a fully charged battery should have more than 12volts in it and remember reading somewhere that it is 12.65volts.

Can anyone confirm this.

Danny
xr8dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #16
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes That was also my understanding. should be about 12.7 volt if its in good nick. If the battery is more than 3 years old, chances are its on the way out.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #17
rand0mn00b

car battery chargers/bench power supplies run at 13.8V
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #18
KEVSXR8

Last weekend we got the 'Engine Malfunction' message on the display. I'm betting its some electrical problem related to the LCD screen and dimming headlights. Booked into Ford for this Thursday so hopefully they will find something.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVSXR8
Last weekend we got the 'Engine Malfunction' message on the display. I'm betting its some electrical problem related to the LCD screen and dimming headlights. Booked into Ford for this Thursday so hopefully they will find something.
Yep. Sounds like some gremlins mate. Hopefully it gets sorted!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
KEVSXR8

3 visits to my local Ford dealer and fingers crossed it has finally been fixed.

1st visit and the logged error code from the engine malfunction related to the 'brake light switch'. They cleaned the switch and told me it was fixed. I got down there to pick the car up and within 2min the engine malfunction light had come back on . It stayed there the night.

2nd visit and once again the logged error code related to the 'brake light switch'. They ordered a new part and fitted it and told me it was fixed. No engine malfunction on the way home, but the LCD screen was still fading in and out as bad as ever. Later that night the engine malfunction occured again.

3rd visit and the error code was related to the 'brake light switch' again. They changed the battery with a new one and it did not fix the problem. They then ordered a new instrument cluster as they finally noticed it was fading in and out. In the meantime they began pin point testing the wiring to try and find a fault.

The next day the cluster was fitted and since then LCD screen has been perfect and we have had no engine malfunction warning messages so it appears that it was something dodgy with the instrument cluster and the car's computer system.