Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-01-2006, 11:49 PM   #1
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Default Speed over distance cameras.

New cameras on the Craigieburn bypass in Melbourne near Coopers st are both fixed speed , and S.O.D with their other timer location being near the Hume hwy. BEWARE. has any noticed them?

jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:52 PM   #2
zetec
Zoom Zoom

No... please explain? Do you mean they measure time travelled over distance?

I think I'm in trouble.
Old 23-01-2006, 11:58 PM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where is the revenue raising going to end!!!!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2006, 11:59 PM   #4
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically these things can tell if you've sped at all during the distance from one to the other. So you have to behave longer rather (will catch out the unattentive) than the more traditional camera where you slow down and wait to you're past it.

But this could possibly be pointless aswell because if you realized you did 10km over the limit for 10 seconds, well technically if you did 10k under the limit for 10 seconds then it would defeat the purpose of the camera. Well this is how I've come to understand them.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #5
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same as for what they use for truckies.......

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Oh crap.
Old 24-01-2006, 12:30 AM   #7
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Oh crap.
Been a bad boy have we?
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 01:00 AM   #8
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

They happen in threes,

First poker machines,

Now cash cameras,

What next?
Old 24-01-2006, 03:24 AM   #9
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Time to make a rotating number plate ala Bond's DB5.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 10:10 AM   #10
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some bikes have flippers fitted so number plate goes up in tail.
no joke
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
FirstFord
Ding Ding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
New cameras on the Craigieburn bypass in Melbourne near Coopers st are both fixed speed , and S.O.D with their other timer location being near the Hume hwy. BEWARE. has any noticed them?
Yep, and what annoys me is on this brand new, and essentially the start of the hume freeway, the speed is 100kmh. I can accept the bit around Kalkallo at 100kmh, but this new section?

No doubt they'll be part of the point to point cameras on the Western Ring Road, Westgate Freeway and Princess Freeway West.

Having recently completed a trip to the Gold Coast and back, I was surprised by the more liberal approach to speed limits in NSW, particularly 110kmh on the Newel, and the one change of limit into towns preceeded by "xx ahead" signs, far better than 100-80-60-50 in a short distance like here in Vic that you encounter in so many places.
FirstFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 12:52 PM   #12
MRJUCY
Fordless

These things are even more of a worry then regular speed cameras as now rather now drivers will have there eyes glued to the dash board not paying any attention to the road or other vehicles & pedestrians for a long distance rather then just a hundred metres or so as with a fixed camera.
Maybe we should convince Harold Scruby & co to actually whinge & ИИИИИ on our side for a change if we can show him it will lead to more pedestrian deaths & injuries.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #13
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
These things are even more of a worry then regular speed cameras as now rather now drivers will have there eyes glued to the dash board not paying any attention to the road or other vehicles & pedestrians for a long distance rather then just a hundred metres or so as with a fixed camera.
Yep I agree - I sent a long email to the RTA about a year ago complaining about the Point-to-Point camera trial they were conducting and how drivers would now watch their speedos instaed of the road. The responce they sent back basically said "bla bla bla, SPEED KILLS....bla bla bla... have cruise control fitted to your vehicle bla bla bla"
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord

Having recently completed a trip to the Gold Coast and back, I was surprised by the more liberal approach to speed limits in NSW, particularly 110kmh on the Newel, and the one change of limit into towns preceeded by "xx ahead" signs, far better than 100-80-60-50 in a short distance like here in Vic that you encounter in so many places.
Thank you. OT - The Review of 70 and 90km/h zones is not yet complete, since inception, the previous Minsiter (Costa) has moved on.

The NSW Pacific Highway upgraded sections (largly dual carriageway) are having point to point cameras installed. See Hansard and thank those lefty North Coast women MP's. I believe I believe I believe!!

The NSW Safe T Cam system now works alongside SA which has adopted them. Data interchange leglislation is all passed and setteld for both States.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
GTP 320
Blueprint Beast

This is really becoming a Police state,one can't go anywhere without the thread of being photgraph for one reason or another.
Let's get rid of the Brack's Government.
Cheers John

Leather seats, Premium sound, Sunroof, Satellite Navigation, Reversing sensors, Herrods lowered suspension, Full stainless steel Quad exhaust system, Helix spacer,Open mouth cold air induction,Uni Chip,BMC air filter
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #16
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstFord
You obviously havnt driven in Sydney 110-100-90-80-70-60-50-40, know what you mean though spend more time watching the signs than the road.

I was waiting when they were going to bring out the S.O.D system give your car a bootfull you will have to pull over for a picnic all the time.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #17
Bobman
Regulator

Just how reliable are these cameras? Same as the Western Ring Road type? I'm curious how it even knows which car is where e.t.c, I'm assuming a photo is taken of every car that passes through each point, if that's the case how would it cope in a major peak period and how do you know if your really speeding or not?

Another revenue raising rubbish.

Hands up to those who don't take it sitting down.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:57 PM   #18
FirstFord
Ding Ding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
This is really becoming a Police state,one can't go anywhere without the thread of being photgraph for one reason or another.
Cheers John
I recall reading that in the UK, and this really gets into Big Brother stuff (the George Orwell variety _2: ) that data from speed/red light cameras was to be stored (regardless if you had committed an offence) so that it could be used in criminal investigations to help establish movements.

So I guess some time in the future, on an episode of The Bill, instead of the detectives daying "where were you between 6pm and 8pm on the 15th of January" it will be "between 6pm and 8pm on the 15th of January you travelled down the M25, taking Junction 5, then travelling up Main Street, fuelling up at the Ampol and buying two litres of milk..." Yikes.
FirstFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 09:16 PM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

These are front on cameras.I believe it would be cheaper to cop a small infringement fine and have a damaged/ r00ted front plate?
Old 24-01-2006, 10:36 PM   #20
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Been a bad boy have we?
I refuse to do 100km/h on a brand new purpose built dual carriageway with nobody around at 7am on a weekday in the middle of the holidays... So I probably averaged 110km/h between the signs I'd say. I'll wait for the fine.

As for getting Cruise Control fitted thanks to the RTA, the arrogant ИИИИing ИИИИs! My under-3 year old safe Euro hatch with twin airbags, ABS, EDB, Traction control, Stability Control and a solid body structure with decent crash rating and upgraded tyres is far safer than any old crapper with cruise control... only problem is because of the stability control on the European car, the Germans didn't program the PCM to take Cruise because in Europe the governments are more worried with things like life saving stability protection and not pinging you for 105km/h in a 100 zone, so many of their modern sports hatches and cars (like the new ST in Europe for example) are not equipped nor can they ever be fitted with factory cruise control.

I know I'd rather have my car with all the electronic protection backing me up 99% of the time than sitting on cruise the few times I'm on a highway. I feel safer at 120kmh on a brand new highway than I do driving at 60km/h in most city areas... Yes ideally I'd have both... but we don't live in a perfect world do we - proven by the fact we have to put up with childish uneducated dribble like this ИИИИ from the Australian Roads committees/mothers clubs.

Surely the WHOLE of Europe can't be wrong. They laugh at the thought of cruise control, hell in Belgium I couldn't even translate cruise control into French when I lived there in 2000, they didn't know what it was. I'm sick of the crap the RTA spits out, not worth wiping your Bum with.
Old 24-01-2006, 11:00 PM   #21
Paxton
Cobblers!

I can't live without Cruise Control. All of my cars since 1995 have had it factory fitted, and since 1995, I have been doing more and more freeway driving, with my Mother-In-Law living on the central coast, and my job requiring me to go from Sydney to Wagga frequently.

KeepLeft The 90 zone on the F3, is it 100 Km/h yet? I haven't done the drive in a month, and it was still 90 then, however the speed cameras, only one of them seem to have the sensors required to set the camera off, yet the two cameras still stand. Can you explain this to me? Also, the new SafetyCam system at the RTA weighbridge, can it so speed for cars also?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 11:55 PM   #22
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see the new M7 in NSW being perfect for distance/time thing.

After all you already have a beeper in your car that records where and when you get on and exit then bills you accordingly.
So they already are recording how quickly you covered known point to point distances.. All they have to do now is give this info to RTA and it will instantly flag anyone who goes between two gates in less then "X" minutes and issue instant fines.
They already have the info they just have to print it out, beginners computer programming to get Easy money.

Just wait the NSW government will soon find a reason to do it "In the interests of public safety"

Last edited by bathurst77; 25-01-2006 at 12:02 AM.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #23
rodderz

I've been on that new section of road the last 2 weeks and there have been guys there on and off playing with the boxes near the camera's, not sure if they are switched on as yet. I havent seen the 2nd lot up near the Hume Hwy end yet, always turn off before that

So far i dont think it's working, people are doing 110-120km/hr along there, slowing down to 95-100 then sinking the boot back in

Camera's are making some people slow down for the wrong reasons- instead of for safety, it's to not get a fine or lose the license
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 03:50 PM   #24
jcxr
Tribal Elder

I spoke to a craigieburn cop on Monday night and he said they are ON
Old 25-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #25
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think NSW has a lot smarter approach to speed cams tham victoria! I live in geelong, my oldies live in Port Maquarie in NSW. There are quite a lot of speed cameras on the drive up. Victorias cameras were all on dead flat, dead straight sections of multi lane freeway where the traffic could easily flow at 110 - 120 safely. The cameras i noticed in NSW were mainly once i got out the other side of sydney and especially on the pacific highway where they were set up in on dangerous sections of road, and well signed leading up to them. People would all slow down through the more dangerous area, then speed back up again after they past, but on a section of road that seemed safer to do so.

Has anyone got 1 of those Road Angels or similar GPS thing that warns you of cameras, radar locations, blackspots etc? Was thinking about getting 1 and want to know if they are any good.
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #26
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
I can't live without Cruise Control. All of my cars since 1995 have had it factory fitted, and since 1995, I have been doing more and more freeway driving, with my Mother-In-Law living on the central coast, and my job requiring me to go from Sydney to Wagga frequently.

KeepLeft The 90 zone on the F3, is it 100 Km/h yet? I haven't done the drive in a month, and it was still 90 then, however the speed cameras, only one of them seem to have the sensors required to set the camera off, yet the two cameras still stand. Can you explain this to me? Also, the new SafetyCam system at the RTA weighbridge, can it so speed for cars also?

The problem with cruise control is that if you set it at 110kph, it cannot brake to keep this speed constant if you go down a hill.
I also drive Syd to Wagga regularly and a grat deal of the freeway is rolling hills which means that you can easily exceed 125-130kph if you dont keep an eye on it, hence eyes still stuck to speedo.
Maybe I could set it at 80kph and enjoy a happy medium....??

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 06:37 PM   #27
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
I think NSW has a lot smarter approach to speed cams tham victoria! I live in geelong, my oldies live in Port Maquarie in NSW. There are quite a lot of speed cameras on the drive up. Victorias cameras were all on dead flat, dead straight sections of multi lane freeway where the traffic could easily flow at 110 - 120 safely. The cameras i noticed in NSW were mainly once i got out the other side of sydney and especially on the pacific highway where they were set up in on dangerous sections of road, and well signed leading up to them. People would all slow down through the more dangerous area, then speed back up again after they past, but on a section of road that seemed safer to do so.

Has anyone got 1 of those Road Angels or similar GPS thing that warns you of cameras, radar locations, blackspots etc? Was thinking about getting 1 and want to know if they are any good.
Yep, Ive got the Uniden GNS8600- the only one big enough to actually read the map at a glance- it gives you 500m warnings before cameras and most importantly, you can see the layout of the road ahead- mainly useful in the country when overtaking, etc.Best thing I have ever bought.

"How much did you pay for that?"

"a hundred bucks"

"Just paid for itself!"

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #28
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishxc
The problem with cruise control is that if you set it at 110kph, it cannot brake to keep this speed constant if you go down a hill.
I also drive Syd to Wagga regularly and a grat deal of the freeway is rolling hills which means that you can easily exceed 125-130kph if you dont keep an eye on it, hence eyes still stuck to speedo.
Maybe I could set it at 80kph and enjoy a happy medium....??
Or you could upgrade to a BF Falcon equipped with a 6-speed or a Territory AWD which has Grade Logic Control - drops a gear down hills to maintain speed. Brilliant. The Ford explorer with the 5-speed also does it.