Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 26-05-2024, 08:42 PM   #1
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Fiesta Stiff Auto Gear Selector

I have a 2010 Fiesta Zetec as a second small runabout car to my Mustang. It has something like 150000km on it.

It runs and drives absolutely fine. But just recently the auto gear selector is VERY stiff. You need to put a lot of effort in getting it to move.

I pulled the knob off and manually push down the rod, to make sure it's not this, but it has no effect.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to look for? I'm good with my hands and do all repairs/servicing myself, so I'm not scared to get stuck in there. But just need an idea of what to look for. Could it be the linkage in some way?

I found a lot of results in Google, but it's all for the manual box.

Thanks
Old 27-05-2024, 10:13 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Fiesta Stiff Auto Gear Selector

Possibly the selector cable is kinked or bent - have a look at Section 307-05 of the WS or WT workshop manual in the tech portal for more information.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2024, 10:42 AM   #3
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Thanks Russell. I had completely forgotten about the workshop manuals here! I'll have a dig through and have a look.
Old 28-05-2024, 02:55 PM   #4
FeistyFiesta
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Possibly the selector cable is kinked or bent - have a look at Section 307-05 of the WS or WT workshop manual in the tech portal for more information.
If the cable retainer for a bowden/control cable has broken or if has come off, this would have the same situation
FeistyFiesta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2024, 03:07 PM   #5
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Thanks, so this turned out to be something so sily.

There's a plastic outer collet thing around the bottom of the shifter. This had unclipped itself from the shifter handle. And it had partially dropped down into the shifter mechanism, under the shifter cover, and it must have been fouling on the mec hanism. When I pulled it out and clipped it back on, the issue was completely resolved.

Crazy, but glad it was an easy fix!