View Single Post
Old 24-05-2013, 12:06 AM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Swear Filter Avoidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I did search, but obviously not in the right spot. I think some of us (well me anyway) would benefit from some clarification.
(And this is intended as a question for the Admin Team, not a discussion.)
Which of the following is considered inappropriate.
a) Using a word that I KNOW will be replaced by the filter. Eg “**** off” when I know it will be replaced with “****.”
b) An adaptation of the word (that may or may not be caught by the filter.) eg ****, Fekking, Effing, *****.
c) Abbreviations of common swearing phrases. Eg FFS, FMD.
d) Using special characters to replace part of the word. Eg “F@#%”
e) Replacing all of the word. Eg “%@!& off.”
f) A word such as “horseshit,” which I actually thought would be truncated as “horse****” but apparently isn’t caught by the filter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
It probably is - but you chose to call it out and it is quite obviously a conflict with the current interpretation of a breach so there isn't much choice is there?

There's an old saying about never asking a question you don't already know or want to hear the answer to... it should have applied in this instance.

Russ
Exactly.

Yes thank you Dazz for bringing this up. Now instead of having a marginal use of this Abreviation, we now have a crackdown. Sometimes, leaving what youve got that flies under the radar is better than sorting out a definition or clarification & having it controlled. Awesome work mate! *Sarcasm*

No, we dont have to swear, but sometimes, in context it is relevant to show frustration & confusion. I mean we even have a smiley that shows WTF. Or we did. I just tried looking for it to demonstrate. He seems to have been banished now.

For instance I am about to notate in my build thread that I just changed the Starter motor in my car 3 hrs ago. 5ks from work the Alternator light came on (35ks from home). That means either the alternator or battery just carked it after I have had the car off the road for over a week waiting for a new starter. Seriously, WTF??

I think in that context it is OK, as a Smiley doesnt really convey the real-life frustration that you read "in your head" when reading a post, but reading WTF does.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: