View Single Post
Old 19-01-2020, 02:20 PM   #16
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Toyota Landcruiser 300 Series to be revealed in August

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
I love my Falcon. And would happily hook up a small / medium caravan and tow it. But I Love big Cruisers. Few years I'll get the 105 series as a tourer. I had. Diesel 60 series. Tin worm got it in the end.

The HDT-FTE engines were the best Toyota made - with the basic 12HT- a close second. Such a smooth engine. When you start to look at how well these things are made, you realise why they cost $88k in GLX form. Keep them well maintained and they'll go a million.

The only exception are the 78 / 79 models. $77k for what is pretty much the same interior as my old 60 series, and they wheel track is wider at the front.

I'm pretty much the same. Had diesel 60 as well, loved it. Did you know Isuzu designed/made the 4.0L diesel for the 60? Would have loved to have a 12HT... Also had 3F in an auto 73 cruiser, really enjoyed that combination as well.

Family had 80's and 100s, used 105s when I worked on mines (was surprised their diesels revved higher at 110km/h than the old 60...). 200s I've been in a bit and really impressed at how smooth everything was.

Latest 200 series had the URJ 4.6L all alloy V8 for its petrol, this one had a timing chain iirc. Before that it was the UZJ 4.7 which has a great reputation (and timing belt).

One article is suggesting the new Cruiser will be lighter (pinch of salt, etc) - if it does lose weight it will mark a return to the weights of Cruisers of old, which is a good thing. The 200 got pretty huge.

I'm kind of hoping there's a petrol hybrid with maybe their 3.5 Lexus TTV6. I'd probably try that one before I try a modern diesel.

If you look at the Ford side, their new Expedition reviews show not only a really nice big wagon, but they've swapped for a petrol TT V6 and a lot of the power/torque comments come back positive. More complex mechanically though.