View Single Post
Old 24-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #387
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: Car Detailing - What products are your go to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Hello all, It would be nice if I had a life that allowed me to spend so much time looking after cars, but alas, I do not. These days the territory is lucky to get washed once a month... I know, that's sacrilege in a thread like this.

I'll just live the experience through the members on here. Reading through the whole thread has been very enjoyable and lots of enviable setups.

Some may be aware that my wife is about to take delivery of a new Escape, so I need to lift my game a little.

I always keep my cars looking tidy, but I wouldn't call it detailing. Just the usual 2 bucket wash and dry, then coat the tyres. I use autoglym and big green sucker and the cars always come up looking presentable however i do pour a goodly amount of the autoglym in the bucket to get it foaming good. It doesn't tend to foam much if you go by the directions.

Anyway, I don't want to be long winded, but just looking to see if there was any standout products mentioned in here that are easily and readily available, and it would appear that Bowdens Own is that product.

What I was oblivious to is the products that you spray on to the big green sucker before drying. I might look in to adding things like Boss Gloss to my collection. Is it really as simple as spraying it on the towel and then drying as per normal, or does the bulk of the water (my cars always bead even though I don't look after them like most on here) need to be removed first?

Thanks for the great read through 13 pages. Keep up the good work guys. One day when life slows down I might find the time to spend more time in my garage.

So yes, just some tips on the drying process with the added products would be good.
Considering that you will be going with a Ceramic coating, washing and drying with a drying aid should be all that you would ever need to do. People often like to top Ceramic coatings, and while you certainly can, it is not needed save for perhaps a yearly topper (this varies from brand to brand so make sure you ask about it when you pick the car up).

Above, you mentioned Meg's Gold Class, I would say that is streets ahead of Autoglym's soap. I used it for years and I can say that it is one of the best readily available car wash soaps on the market. I also used Bowdens Snow Job regularly as bucket wash soap, it foams up beautifully in a bucket and can also be used to clean the wheels (in a separate bucket and wash mitt please).

A good soap, glass cleaner, 303 Aerospace to keep the interior plastic protected, a drying aid and tire dressing will keep the Escape looking great for years. As mentioned, Boss Gloss would be a great choice for a drying aid, however most "Quick Detailers" can be used for this task.

Hope that helps.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: