View Single Post
Old 09-02-2024, 12:24 AM   #29
AlanM

Default Re: Timing belt replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goz007 View Post
Sounds like its going ok ,so should be fine(although there is an interesting thread-old thread in the SZ forum were anthor member did as u did & chased fault codes for months as he was a tooth out on his cam timing & also anthor interesting one were anthor member did the same & lost his engine.....valves into pistons, broke a cam gear) although from what I've read & also watching anthor one of Taxi mechanic Alan's utubes(I like the taxi mechanic.....but he is a little ruff for me, but he's good value & has a lot of interesting & informative clips-im still watching him even though he's not fixing Mondeos any more & moved to the Philippine) it looks like the Mondeo engine is a little more forgiving & just breaks rocker arms....as for me i will buy a similar kit to which cobrin has listed & lock the crank...... I'm a little OCD with bolt tensions & i also feel it's a little to much strain to put the cam gear under....but anyway each to there own & fair play to u that its worked without issues(I believe if something was wrong it would of shown up in your 40ks) as I said previously thanks for your comments it's much appreciated 👍
I honestly can't see how it would be possible to be a tooth out if you lock the camshaft and mark the crank before starting, then make sure the marks still line up once the new belt is installed and tensioned and the crankshaft pulley bolt is torqued up.

If you were out by a whole tooth the paint mark on the flywheel would be nowhere to be seen. The keyway on the crank timing gear does allow a few degrees of leeway, and I guess it's possible the crankshaft could turn by that amount relative to the gear as you tighten the bolt, but your paint marks would show that up too.

But if the threads are clean (it was a new bolt and locktight)
that shouldn't happen anyway.

This was the fourth timing belt I've installed, 3 of them on 2.0 TDCI Mondeos, and this method has always worked fine.
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: