View Single Post
Old 21-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #4
pete r

Default Re: XR8 Fuel pump/regulator issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Kinda wierd that it works running and not KOEO. Could be a sticking pump as unlikely as it sounds, and when its running the extra voltage gets it going.

First thing to do i guess is see pump relay is getting its signal to supply the 12 volts in KOEO. Id start at the engine bay fuel pump relay because its easy to get to, check the relays low side obviously, i forget offhand if the ECU connects to earth or gives 12v on pins 85/86, it probably grounds, check the wiring diagrams.

If the low side of the relay is fine then you might want to check for 12v at the pump plug KOEO

Whether its KOEO or running, the fuel pump relay trigger circuit should be getting its signal from the ECU. I doubt somebody wouldve run power to it differently as they'd have to get quite tricky to signal it to only run when engine is running... I suppose its always possible someone mcgyvered it if the relay trigger signal from the ECU was playing up, just seems unlikely to me... if someone had done this it just seems more likely to me pump would still turn on when ignition is on, ie KOEO... it just wouldnt stop after a few seconds.
12 volts is at the relay socket. It looks like the ECU is supposed to ground the coil to make the relay switch, but this ECU isn’t. Instead of measuring near zero ohms in KOEO the contact measures 185kohm.

I’m going to have to dig further, get the ECU out and back probe the wire to see if it’s grounding down there.

Bloody weird, it doesn’t explain why the relay switches when the engine is cranked.

The AU1 had Smartlock, did it disable the fuel pump?
pete r is offline   Reply With Quote