View Single Post
Old 19-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #48
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Default Re: !!Alert!! ERIC BANA'S COUPE IS BACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
Careful reading of the ADR's and other mechanical modification guidelines will let you get away with some amazing stuff. Get the right engineer with a creative mind to get around problems, and you could well register something like Erics car. Wild suspension? As long as it's all done properly and safely and to code, there's nothing wrong with it.
You're replacing old-tech suspension with new tech stuff and big brakes...that can only make the car safer. It certainly doesn't look like it's been lowered into the weeds below the regulation height from the ground...in fact it looks higher off the ground that most street cars. Off the shelf you can buy stuff like RRS bolt-in rack and pinion front ends and strut suspension for old Fords, which under an old Falcon would look just as radical, but a hell of a lot safer.

Time and money...they're the two limiting factors in most peoples rebuilds. If you have plenty of each, you can end up with a truly wild car that's also completely street legal.
That's a good summary, some examples I have done in recent years include the quad cam V8 into RN-85 hilux, the turbo AU that was constructed from advice from this forum and tele-support from SNORT, the CR480 air cooled motorcross come track bike bike being accepted by an engineer for compliance as an IT465 (motard) by using 1/2 a 465 frame with compliance plate. (the bike is still in my shed).

Some examples I have seen redefine the boundaries. Its amazing what you can do within the rules.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote