View Single Post
Old 02-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #70
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Century Batteries

Quote:

WOW after reading these I am in two minds...the reviews on Supercharge are worse the Century.
I wonder what has happened; I have Supercharge in all my 5 cars and they usually last at least just one or two months past there warranty. I wonder how much the issues for these batteries, regardless of brand in question, is related to less miles on cars due to Covid and longer importation journeys time-wise and longer in transit storage periods (between date of manufacture and the actual retail sale) and other Covid related production and storage issues. As someone once said: "Most batteries don't die, they are murdered [by maltreatment] " per https://www.centurybatteries.ca/sing...y-are-murdered and https://baintech.com.au/keep-your-ba...-of-the-grave/ etc Perhaps Covid is a mass murderer in more than one way? It would be interesting to know how old some of these batteries were when purchased (the manufacturing date is usually stamped on the case albeit sometimes in a cryptic code). It is so easy to blame nearly everything on either Covid or the other evil, Putin but....

Quote:
Vehicle alternators are not battery chargers. While they do put back the energy just used to start your vehicle, they are not meant to recharge a battery that was already low, and is now even lower from starting your vehicle. This is hard on the alternator and increases the risk of you needing to replace it. Also, if you do a lot of short trips in city driving, this doesn't give the alternator enough time to actually charge the battery. This can kill a battery in a hurry. A longer drive at highway speeds is much better for the charging system.

The best thing you can do for your batteries when your vehicle is in storage is to keep them on a battery maintainer, or at the very least charge them once a month with a battery charger. Driving around or starting the car and letting it run for 20 minutes is not the way to go.

Last edited by aussiblue; 02-07-2022 at 07:30 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote