View Single Post
Old 20-04-2015, 10:35 AM   #7
I6DOHC

Default Re: Geelong Museum of Motoring

Just got back from a road trip to Victoria from Qld on the weekend, and the museum was one of my stops on the way through Geelong so I thought I might give this thread a bit of a bump. The folk there at the new Museum are starting to piece it all together by the looks of things, and do have some of the old Ford Discovery Centre displays.

After chatting with one of the gents who were operating the place it sounds like getting hold of other of the bits & pieces of the FDC is proving 'challenging'. They are quite motivated to ensure the displays/items from the FDC are preserved, but whether that feeling is mutual between the parties giving/receiving is another thing. It sounds like there may be some hurdles.

Given the heart of our automotive manufacturing heritage is about to die in this country, probably never to return, anything that can be done to preserve the history has to be a good thing in my opinion.

As a group of passionate Ford fans here on AFF, I think we really need to try and support their efforts. Living here in QLD means the best thing I could do was visit & pay the entrance fee & have a good poke around while I was there and now raise some awareness. Hopefully more forum members can do the same. It will only get better over time as they piece more of the displays together....and one display that really needs to be constructed is an FG/FG-X one to properly bookend the Ford (AUSTRALIA) history.

NB - Would have also loved to do a factory tour of both manufacturing plants while down in Melbourne, but have been told by Ford that they no longer do them. Would also have paid an entrance fee for that.
I6DOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: