Thread: Cav's Ute
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #368
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Cav's Ute

Just completed a big trip in the ute to Brisbane - about 1400kms round trip.

It went well.

Fuel consumption mid 7s to mid 8s.

Qld has **** roads and **** drivers.

Finally passed thru a squillion kms of roadworks and hit the motorway at 110kms/h. I noticed the ute developed a high pitched whine. I deduced it was the Cheap Chinese tyres or the diff. Merle Haggard fixed that.

Ten minutes later, traffic on the motorway stopped. Then we were up to 60, back to 20, up again, brake, stop - and on it went.

At least the locals know how to traverse roadworks. They were never ending with speed limits of 40, 60, 80,100. On the trip home I was in a convoy with a truck leading and we sat on 80 regardless of what the road works speed limit said. In most of these places there was no actual work going on.

But back to the ute.
Seats good over long journeys.
Standard audio is OK.
I think the muffler is on its way out, it rattles a lot but it doesn't seem to affect performance or economy.
5 speed auto - I was a little reluctant to buy the ute because of this, but because it only had 60,000kms for a 2008 model it was too good to pass up. It does need some getting used to. The ute accelerates very well changing gears at 5,500 revs and sounding really nice with non standard exhaust. At 100kms/h revs are at 1600. When accelerating after cruising I was initially pressing the pedal too far and the gearbox would change back about 7 ratios so I soon was able to push the pedal a little bit and it would only go back one gear.

I am quite happy with the ute.

Did I tell youse that the turning circle is ****?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote
16 users like this post: