View Single Post
Old 19-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #112
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Owning an old Merc as a cruiser? Other options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
That’s basically what I’ve been doing. It’s funny how you set the price at $10k, then see what cool cars are there for only $5k more, then if you’re at $15k you might as well check out the $20k range!!! Then ya gotta stop and reassess why you were looking at the $10k range in the first place! You soon find a couple cars that you are drawn to, then you start zooming in on all the photos looking for rust bubbles, missing trim etc etc.... hoping to find one local but I’m no rush so will be patient.
Forget buying one local. Put that out of your head entirely because when you find the right car it's worth an air ticket. Purely because there's way less cheaper cool cars in WA and what there are cost more and may be in worse condition.
It's worth traveling for the right car. I've considered traveling to SA, ACT and the eastern states all the time when looking for old BMWs. I should have but instead I settled for local where the previous owner did very dumb things with the interior that will cost me a lot of time and money tracking original parts for (which I'll probably have to get from east - listen to the person above about the interior), and Isettled for an auto when I should have traveled for a manual - there was no manuals in WA.

I'm a snobogan, I like my cheap old (recent) ford falcons as a daily, I also love any marque no matter what maybe pre 1973, but also like 80s-90s bmws (i6 is king for an old cheap and reliable daily; fords or BMW). E: I could have gone merc but I had to pick and I went for not merc.

Last edited by oldel; 19-02-2020 at 03:26 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote