View Single Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #30
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh JWM I6
I'm glad ford don't make any FWD sedans, oh wait: two of the most popular cars in their respective countries the mondeo and the taurus

NNNNOOOOOOO :P
to base your opinion on two old models with outdated technology...
please... there are plenty of popular RWD cars that were rubbish...

i own a current model XR5 Mondeo, but over the years I have also had various RWD models and i can say without a doubt there is no discernable difference in day to day driving situations.

as for torque steer under WOT... i run mods which give me approx. 150kw atw and in the 22,000kms i have driven this car i have experienced torque steer twice. i'm not saying this is true of all FWD models, but certainly for a large car, mine behaves quite well. you have to remember the majority of drivers will never be in a situation where torquesteer is an issue anyway.

now remembering the OP asked about the benifits of FWD LARGE cars (so forget your i30's and corrolla's etc...) and the fact mondeo is wider than a falcon and just 8cm shorter, i think i can comment on this. I also went from driving a falcon, to driving the mondeo.

there is more room in the front cabin of the mondeo than falcon because of the east/west arrangement. rear cabin room is about the same. there is far more room in the mondeo's boot. the fuel economy across the range is better. the mondeo's ride is better. it weighs less and that helps it stop better. in the case of the mondeo, the chassis seems to work better too.

the only negatives i can see are tyre wear and for RWD enthusiats, being able to do burnouts or "drift round a roundabout"...

trouble is when discussions on the merits of FWD occur with RWD proponents, it's a bit like

for the record, my XR5 is the best car i've ever owned.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at

Last edited by mondo_broady; 28-10-2010 at 10:57 AM.