View Single Post
Old 24-04-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Cool Timmeh's RS2000 Project Feedback Thread

After spending several months away from home, today marked the start of my RS2000 Project.

The vehicle is a 1979 four door RS2000 in white, manual (not sure if RS's ever came in auto? maybe), with 13 inch Cheviot rims, Scheel interior, mild cam, extractors, and running a 40mm Capri Weber, one of 1000 made.

Bought late last year from Brisbane, the car was running flawlessly for a couple of months until rego expired (except one of the alternator bolts kept disappearing, but not on the trip down fortunately), so the car came off the road and into the garage for its much awaited rebuild!

AusXH came up for the day and helped me out, provided great moral support. Had many laughs and good conversations, I really appreciate it, so thanks mate!

First off, the bonnet and nosecone removed. I am not a fan of the RS2000 one peice nosecone, so will be fabricating alot of replacement and strengthing parts for it soon. Battery disconnected and gone, along with the ignition leads and coil, and the headlights. How soft does the car look without the nosecone though!

The car was wheeled out onto the grass to remove the coolant and oil, just in case of a spill, where we found lots of sludge coming out of the radiator, as expected I guess. The oil looked good though. Back in the garage, anything else we could remove got removed, like the alternator, starter motor, fan, and anything attached to the engine and gearbox! An alarmingly large amount of parts just weren't connected, or in the case of the electrics, some were extremely dodgy! Seeing as it is my trade on the jets at work, all looms and connections will be replaced with new ones!!

Next, the car went up onto stands, the wheels removed, and it was under the vehicle to remove more things. There wasn't a single flange in the whole exhaust system, and the extractors were deteriorated so badly they were unuseable anyway, so we hack sawed the exhaust off. Next, we unbolted the tailshaft and removed it as well, the gearbox oil was really clean, which is a good sign. The underside of the car needs a good clean, no real rust worries but a couple small areas to get attended to.

More to come...
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote